I give up, I am a serious L2P failure.. help?

Monk
I throw in the towel. The Monk is a decent place. I have a decent build. I still can not get past GR 38. I don't die, I just can't DPS fast enough. Once I get to the boss, it's done. I can't kill any boss fast enough at GR 38.

In T6, I can solo all 4 of the machines. I kill gold mobs in T6 in 2-3 hits. Look at my Furnace.

I don't know what gear is wrong, what skill is wrong, is it my timing? I don't know.

Any help is appreciated. If you want to flame me, please, make a new topic, and flame me all you like, I will save the best one, and make it my sig.
http://www.diablofans.com/builds/835-2-1-2-g45-the-strongest-monk-build-quin69
Just wondering, looking at your gear, shouldn't it be more suitable for TR?
A Torch will make a significant increase in dmg, due to you having to stop dropping bells to regain spirit in your current build (generators are a huge decrease in dmg from dropping bells)

Your gear is solid enough that you should drop sixth sense for Exalted Soul, get rid of the generator for Sweeping Wind:Inner Storm, and get a pair of Wreapers Wraps (or get rid of the tgod vigor and get an innas belt and aughs chest if your spirit generation is in a good enough spot).

If not, get an innas belt, drop the innas helm and replace it with a laws of seph. With the law, replace dashing strike with blinding flash:Faith in the light (while also replacing your generator with sw:inner storm)

All of those changes are temporary until you find a Torch.
Come on you monk has 134k elites killed and my monk only has 14k and I cleared GR43. I am sure you can do better by putting in more effort on doing some research in the forum.
Wow.. didn't even look at his career :) he has more elite kills on just his monk than I do on all my characters added up. Crazy!
01/26/2015 07:38 PMPosted by thugh
A Torch will make a significant increase in dmg, due to you having to stop dropping bells to regain spirit in your current build (generators are a huge decrease in dmg from dropping bells)

Your gear is solid enough that you should drop sixth sense for Exalted Soul, get rid of the generator for Sweeping Wind:Inner Storm, and get a pair of Wreapers Wraps (or get rid of the tgod vigor and get an innas belt and aughs chest if your spirit generation is in a good enough spot).

If not, get an innas belt, drop the innas helm and replace it with a laws of seph. With the law, replace dashing strike with blinding flash:Faith in the light (while also replacing your generator with sw:inner storm)

All of those changes are temporary until you find a Torch.

I have one, it's just not as good.

01/26/2015 07:45 PMPosted by thugh
Wow.. didn't even look at his career :) he has more elite kills on just his monk than I do on all my characters added up. Crazy!

I know, right???!!?!

01/26/2015 07:39 PMPosted by Cameo
Come on you monk has 134k elites killed and my monk only has 14k and I cleared GR43. I am sure you can do better by putting in more effort on doing some research in the forum.

I know!!!!!! (In my Monica Geller voice)
The torch, even being not so good, allows you to forgo the generator, use more dps passives, and outdoes the furnace (even a poor one) due to the reduced spirit cost and the added WoL dmg. Have you tried it over your furnace yet?
01/26/2015 08:09 PMPosted by Khaine
I have one, it's just not as good.

Did you even read anything he said? Even without a Torch you should be able to break GR40.

Drop the generator for Sweeping Wind: Inner Storm.
Why you had it in the first place is beyond me.

Drop Sixth Sense for Exalted Soul.
You have enough toughness.

Drop Beacon for Chant of Resonance.
You need more spirit gen until you actually equip your Torch.

Else you'll never get past GR38.

The only thing holding you back is yourself.
You have way better build for Hexwuko Flurry TR build. I just pass GR38 with my !@#$ty build, 6:30 earlier.
01/26/2015 07:06 PMPosted by Khaine
I throw in the towel. The Monk is a decent place. I have a decent build. I still can not get past GR 38. I don't die, I just can't DPS fast enough. Once I get to the boss, it's done. I can't kill any boss fast enough at GR 38.

In T6, I can solo all 4 of the machines. I kill gold mobs in T6 in 2-3 hits. Look at my Furnace.

I don't know what gear is wrong, what skill is wrong, is it my timing? I don't know.

Any help is appreciated. If you want to flame me, please, make a new topic, and flame me all you like, I will save the best one, and make it my sig.

Your furnace is crazy!

As for Greater rifts - don't try to kill elites or run away mobs there - you want to run through the rift, collect lots of mobs and kill them by chaining EP.
If some elites are killed in the process as well, the better it is for your rift progress. After that you need a luck with boss. Some bosses are bad for monks (esp. these that doesn't spawn mobs and jump around). On these bosses you may need to use almost the same time as it took you to spawn the guardian. Some bosses are better (esp stonesinger and all bosses that spawns lots of adds). For guaranteed completion of GR you need to spawn guardians at 8 munites mark. If it takes longer - then you need to fish for boss that is more suitable for monks.

Nice thing about monks now is that we have lots of builds that are functional and can actually do high GR. The most popular build was refered earlier in this thread. I prefer going in different build. On my seasonal monk http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nephelem-2423/hero/47310271 I'm going with the build that you can see on her now.

I've failed GR49 solo by less than 10 seconds once on Eskandiel (or how it is called) who had just a bit more than 2b hp remaining. Tried to take a screen shot, but was a tad slow and screenshot didn't have that "0 seconds" remaining, so was no point to post it...
I did manage to spawn guardian on GR50 solo with almost 6 minutes remaning, but that was damn Rime...
Ancient Furnace = stop using Bells (unless it's fire w/ coat) and start looking at Hexwuko Flurry OR Fire LTK. I assume you have other rares like hexing pants etc if you have that much farm on your char. GLHF
Wizardkhalif#1796 , add me and i'll set you up
I'm like you, forever stuck in grift 38. Elo Hell man I give up damn torch will never drop
wow buddy get a hexing pants
switch to flurry build
play GR45
profit!!!

that ancient furnace is crazy goooddd!!!
ancient Inna belt and Mad stone to go GR45+++

***edit **** additions***
Okay I’ll do a more in-depth of TR build for you
Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TcjPSQ!fSgi!YbbaYZ
Circular Breathing can be switch out for something else like Hard Target, Agility,

Gears that you should look for:
Hexing Pants
Mad Stone (head)
Inna Belt
Reaper’s Wrap for bracer (you’ll want Krem’s bracer once seasons 1 end)

Rerolls the below:
Woku’s Shoulder - life% to Cooldown reduction
Woku’s Paws – Attack speed to Cooldown reduction
Curdest boots – move speed to TR skill bonus
Furnace – this is just me and it might be wrong but I’ll reroll that ias to vit lol

Remember to only have 6.6% Cost Reduction in your paragon
Im in the same place I can get past 37 with about 2 and half minutes remaining. I just run out of time on 38 due to not being able to kill fast enough. Ive made it the furthest with lightning bells, missing it by a minute or so depending on the RG.
I beat 40, got spanked on 41.... let's try that TR build now
01/28/2015 06:15 PMPosted by Khaine
I beat 40, got spanked on 41.... let's try that TR build now

Do you have a Tzo Krin's Gaze?
If you are giving up and throwing in the towel, why are you asking for help?

Giving up means you're done.

Asking for help means you're going to continue to try.

Color me confused.
I think I am also missing the boat on how to play my monk. My main is a DH. I have cleared GR39 pretty easily, but I am dying too much in GR40.

Any advice would be appreciated. It's possible I don't have the best skills selected for my gear.

And it's also possible that I just don't know how to play it properly.

I realized I took out my gems to try to level them more with my DH. Was using BoT, BoP, and taeguk.