Fix: Nvlddmkm.sys Blue Screen BSOD Error in Windows

General Discussion
Symptoms: Bluescreen or Stop Error 0x0000001E caused by nvlddmkm.sys, or often get a message: “display driver nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding and has successfully recovered“.

Solution: Replace the nvlddmkm.sys file with a newer version

This is a well-known fix for the issue.
During the installation of most graphic drivers in Windows 8/7/8.1/Vista, an old version of nvlddmkm.sys is copied into C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and not the current one in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access the file dated 2006 instead of 2010.

SOLUTION!!

Step 1: Download and install the latest graphic driver.

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename "nvlddmkm.sys" to "nvlddmkm.sys.old".

Step 3: Go to nvidia directory (usually in C:\Nvidia or C:\drvvganVidia) and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_.

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing "chdir Desktop".

Step 7: Then, type "EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys". Or,
"expand -r nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys".

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new nvlddmkm.sys from your Desktop to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

Good luck
This is more of an Nvidia problem than a Diablo 3 problem..
Ofc it is!
And this fix resolves the Diablo 3 crashes!
12/21/2014 10:06 AMPosted by kamikai
As a result the new drivers are attempting to access the file dated 2006 instead of 2010.

Not sure what video card your using but 2010 version seems way out of date.

FYI current version is 13/11/14

Oh btw never had D3 bluescreen
12/21/2014 11:52 AMPosted by YDFWM
12/21/2014 10:06 AMPosted by kamikai
As a result the new drivers are attempting to access the file dated 2006 instead of 2010.

Not sure what video card your using but 2010 version seems way out of date.

FYI current version is 13/11/14

something ppl "may" not realize is that windows has its own nvidia drivers via the windows update. you have to actually uninstall your nvidia proprietary driver, then uninstall (and tell it to delete the driver) the windows driver from the device manager. the windows driver is VERY old and is just a generic driver made to get things going.

if your display looks like its in 640x480 when you boot up and device manager says "standard VGA" you have gotten rid of those crappy old drivers that cause issues and can actually install a new version of the nvidia proprietary driver likely without any proplems at all.
You will probably realize that any uninstallation and reinstallation of nvidia drivers will not remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the latest version. You will have to do it manually. Nobody knows why it wouldn’t get overwritten even with the run as administrator privileged.
"During the installation of most graphic drivers in Windows 8/7/8.1/Vista, an old version of nvlddmkm.sys is copied into C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and not the current one in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access the file dated 2006 instead of 2010...."or NEWER!!
12/21/2014 11:52 AMPosted by YDFWM

I did... and it wasn't pretty.

It wasn't a driver issue though. I'm guessing that D3 was quite taxing on my aging hardware and it forced my system to BSOD 3 times in a row before it refused to boot up again. My best guess is that the northbridge chip on my motherboard was frequently too hot from playing D3 that it either fried or simply lost an effective solder connection.