How do ancients "look" when they drop?

General Discussion
Not sure if this has been covered. Are they just the standard green/orange or is there a different look and then you get a nice surprise when you ID?

If this has been covered, I apologize, I couldn't find it.
standard brown/green

youll actually have to look at the item itself to see if its ancient or not
Rusted. There'll be a new mat you'll have to acquire to make them bright and shiny again...
the should give it and new color
maybe red.
Cool, thanks!
12/23/2014 07:45 AMPosted by Morogoth
maybe red.

I agree. Red would be awesome.
I always dreamed they'd add a new super powerful kind of drop (better than ancient). I wanted a white sparkling beam. They'd be so good, that when you saw the white shiny beam you'd know you've got THE best thing ever. So yeah, white would be great. Red two I guess could be really nice!
In PTR I believe Ancient weapons, when viewing them are bordered in gold.
Ofc they're not going to do anything creative. Imeancmonamiriteguis...
the should give it and new colormaybe red.

I prefer the surprise of it when it's ID'd. Makes for a "Christmasy" feeling when your surprised. I also keeps everyone from just straight up DE'ing everything without ID'ing.
ID'ing feels like a waste of time, especially when you can often tell what an item is before you ID it (especially the crappy drops that every gets over and over).

It would be more interesting if items required more effort to ID. Perhaps you can use an item that has not been ID'd, but once you do ID it, it uncovers its special properties. That could be a sort of side-quest in and of itself.

But really they should just have items drop, fully revealed.
12/23/2014 09:35 AMPosted by Talzar13
But really they should just have items drop, fully revealed

I think IDing makes more sense. Blues and yellows should have to be ID's too, like in D2. Your character has spent a lifetime training in arts, other than archeology. How is he/she going to pick up a weapon and fully understand it's properties, without an expert to explain them.
12/23/2014 09:20 AMPosted by MISTAMANN2U
In PTR I believe Ancient weapons, when viewing them are bordered in gold.

I believe this is true.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/D3_x1_Blizzcon_Lut_Socks_Legendary.png

However! Looking at some videos of PTR, I haven't seen the boarder. The videos I watched may have been old though.
so can you tell on picking it up if its an ancient? Does the border show prior to IDing?
12/23/2014 07:43 AMPosted by WildPants
standard brown/green

youll actually have to look at the item itself to see if its ancient or not

This, you won't know until you've actually identified the item.

The reasons they don't want to distinguish them is because people already don't ID Legendaries and they don't want to make it so that you're never wanting to not identify an item.

So what you'll have to do for now is just pick up each and every Legendary and identify it.
I know the odds are very low, in all probability. What if you pick up a Blackthornes belt and it's bugged with 5k armor and 50% CD and 500 AR? You'd never know if you just DE without iding it. I can't bring myself to DE unidentified items, even though the odds off something being bugged are beyond astronomical.
they definitely should stand out more compared to non ancient legendaries

another thing to add to the huge list of things to do that probably won't get done
grey

cause you know the roll will be underwhelming
12/23/2014 01:10 PMPosted by TEHvomit
I know the odds are very low, in all probability. What if you pick up a Blackthornes belt and it's bugged with 5k armor and 50% CD and 500 AR? You'd never know if you just DE without iding it. I can't bring myself to DE unidentified items, even though the odds off something being bugged are beyond astronomical.

Some items like Gungdo Gear or any other item without a special affix usually gets salvaged without identifying because I know that the item is universally worthless.
maybe red.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately that's going to sound far too much like "work" to this dev team.