Hoarding - Stash Management help

General Discussion
I think I'm a hoarder. Any tips on what items or affixes to hold on to?

Better yet, explain why I shouldn't keep a semi-good item.
12/26/2014 10:07 AMPosted by Skovgaard
I think I'm a hoarder. Any tips on what items or affixes to hold on to?

Better yet, explain why I shouldn't keep a semi-good item.

Because a lot of those weapons will be useless once Ancients come out. No need for them soon if you don't/haven't used them already
My general rules for deciding to keep or salvage boils down to this.

Does the item do something/have a special effect?
No, Salvage.
Yes, Is the effect good?
No, Salvage.
Yes, Are the rolls desirable/rerollable?
No, Salvage.
Yes, Will I use the item?
No, Salvage.
Yes/Maybe, Save.

Certain cases can be made for good items with a different element but I generally try not to keep too many copies of a specific item.

Using the guidelines above I have went from having 5 full stash tabs and several mules down to 3 full stash tabs and only a couple mules. It also helps that I play almost solely Wizard. If I focused more on other characters then it would be much harder to melt down extra loot that may or may not see use in the future.
My rule of thumb, if I am not going to equip it right now, or it doesn't work with a particular spec I want to try out, it's garbage. It could roll perfect stats, and I'm still sharding it. Your a hoarder if you have gear in your stash that you have never used. There is no reason to hold anything longer than a week without being used.
12/26/2014 10:44 AMPosted by TEHvomit
There is no reason to hold anything longer than a week without being used.
Except for that one time I had the entire firebird set sitting on mules because it was useless and overnight it became the BiS setup for wizard. Glad I hoarded and held on to that set.
12/26/2014 10:44 AMPosted by TEHvomit
There is no reason to hold anything longer than a week without being used.

True and False. False, for me, because I have two stash tabs for hoarding gear and one for hoarding jewelery. It may take me longer than a week to fill up the two tabs with enough stuff that MAY be desirable and then go get all the other toons to check it out.

I also rarely find gifts, so I have one mule with weapons, but ancients are coming, so those may go.

The hardest for me is jewelery. I don't have enough SOJs for everyone, and those aren't always useful in trials, and some rings I have found rolled really well. Before salvage, I'll parse them out to my followers at least, which takes some time.

Please bring back the AH UI with new and improved item switching and follower included.
I hoard one item of each set item...I'm determined to get a full set of every set. I also hoard rings and amulets, up to two of each, but salvage them if and when I find an upgrade. Unless it's set related, I salvage every item if it's not an upgrade for one of my characters or followers.

Unless:

If the item has a primary character stat and a specific class stat (e.g., int and increased magic missile) and is not an upgrade for my Wiz, its salvage mat. If I roll only one or the other, and other attributes are good, then I sometimes try and enchant it for another class.

I'll also hoard items that have an interesting proc that I think I might want to try out. If stash space gets tight, then these are usually the first to go.