For those that have quit, may I ask why?

General Discussion
1 2 3 38 Next
Highly Rated
And what could be added to bring you back to playing the game?

So I wanted to spark a conversation today because, well, why not. There are many a player who since the launch of RoS have thrown in the towel and called it quits (Myself included) and I wanted to take a moment to tackle this specific question.

Now, you don't have to go super in depth, but try to in about 500 words describe why you have quit Diablo and what could be done to bring you back as a player?

I'll go first.

Why did I quit Diablo?

Well, put in the most simple terms progression in this game feels especially jarring. Once I have completed the set that I have been looking for my item hunt boils down to a very select pool of just a few items that I have to find. More often than not, this is a weapon, amulet, or ring.

I then spend the rest of my time in game looking for that one specific item that I'll never find and I feel as though it's pointless to continue playing when the odds are stacked so heavily against me.

Overall, I feel the journey is lacking and I am way too focused on the end destination. There isn't a diverse enough pool of items to play with at endgame and there are a handful of items that rule them all.

What would bring me back to Diablo?

Well, I do plan on jumping into Season 2 and trying out the journey again but what will really get me to stick to it and keep playing is if the journey was made a little less jarring. What this means is that the super powerful rare items were maybe a little less rare and a little less powerful. If there were more items that I could play with at endgame, I would focus more on looking for items with great stats instead of looking for that one item that will finally allow me to play a specific build.

Now I realize that there are some changes coming in the future patch that help mitigate this somewhat. For example, item weighting has been adjusted so that the super rare items aren't quite so rare. I think this is a very nice change to endgame and will result in less shock moving forward.

Ancient items might also help with this because after I've completed a normal set there's still a chance that I could find an Ancient version of that item. This widens the pool of items that I'm actually looking for.

Whether or not this will renew my interest in the game? I'm not sure. One thing is for certain though, I will definitely try it at least one more time to see if the changes are lucrative enough to go forward.

Now, what are the reasons you guys quit the game and what could be added to bring you back?
Highly Rated
I quit because I cannot start to play the build that I wish to play
A lot of the people I played with quit. I guess the season lasted too long, so they started getting bored... and the addition of ancient items removes the incentive to gather gear for the next patch.

They all plan on playing season 2 though, so I guess all they need is the patching process to happen quicker so S2 can start.
I quit because if one person quit, there will just be more persons quit. And someday, the whole playerbase will quit.
12/18/2014 05:07 PMPosted by PowerCosmic
if you quit, what are you doing here?

It's valuable information for Blizzard to know why you have quit and what would bring you back.
I didn't exactly quit but I now only spend about an hour a day playing D3, where before I spent 4-6 hours, depending on the day. I have returned to D2 and LoD. With the Horadric Cube and my book of recipes, I have far more control over my build and my items. More options = more fun.

What would bring me back? Well, I have played some on the PTR and I like what I see coming for the Barb, if they don't nerf it, so that will bring me back "fulltime" for a while. What would really keep me here is getting the one item that has eluded me for thousands of hours - the Furnace.

I understand RNG is RNG but there should be a point where after a person has invested, say, 3000 hours in a particular class, the RNG weight shifts to favor the player, if you know what I mean. I totally relate to what DrothVader said about looking for an item we feel we'll never find. It is frustrating to continue, and only rewarding to the masochistic.
I've quit (until Season 2) because I feel content starved. There is so little else that is working in conjunction with the gear treadmill in this game. Even playing hardcore has lost its thrill due to the minimal loss that occurs on death (that will change with ancient items though).

Season 2 looks solid. Rift density is much better on the PTR. I'm sad that pylons and trials remain, but they're improved also. Ancient Items are boring and uninspired, but it's something.

The game is fun to play but pretty one dimensional (rifts). That's why I tend to play Marvel Heroes more often. They provide a lot more options for the way you go about killing monsters. Just a little variety goes a long way.
12/18/2014 05:20 PMPosted by Drothvader
12/18/2014 05:07 PMPosted by PowerCosmic
if you quit, what are you doing here?

It's valuable information for Blizzard to know why you have quit and what would bring you back.

bloody hell, Droth did you lose MVP status????????

good point though, Blizzard cares about us and reads these forums.
Thanks JaqenHghar and BobWitchDR for contributing the the discussion. ^.^

12/18/2014 05:29 PMPosted by PowerCosmic

I think this is an adequate response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Being an MVP, while it was a valuable learning experience, is not something I want at the moment. I like being an outsider looking in rather than feeling as though I have to post in a certain way that gives Blizzard favorable PR.

In other words I like not being an MVP more than I like being an MVP.
12/18/2014 04:51 PMPosted by Drothvader
Why did I quit Diablo?

What got me into the game was seeing items like Death's Bargain and other items that had interesting effects that weren't just "moar big numbers". I want to play a game with a lot of different ways to tackle content. Replayability for me comes, not from grinding ridiculously rare gear, but rather having so many ways to play the game, I can't conceive of trying them all.

Why I quit is that this wasn't being fulfilled. Quickly the game boiled down to, "Hey if you like skill X, you must get weapons / sets that modify that skill or you're just gimped all to hell." Worse for you if the skills you like don't have legendary synergy. Power creep in this game is INSANE. GRifts are a prime example of this. Rather than reigning in the numbers a bit and making sure builds aren't completely left in the dust relative to other builds, the devs are plowing straight ahead with moar biggerer numbers and just wildly buffing / nerfing percent modifiers on things. As a result, things like Death's Bargain are horribly, horribly numerically undertuned.

The last straw for me was ancient items. Let's take a game woefully imbalanced at the moment due to extreme powercreep, and let's powercreep it more on purpose. On top of that, let's tout that the game has a new "competitive mode" in seasons / grifts and then put ancient weapons in the game that immediately pull you way ahead of everyone else who lacks one. Competition is not a lottery, period.

12/18/2014 04:51 PMPosted by Drothvader
What would bring me back to Diablo?

Do away with this "Ancient Items" nonsense. Start moving power away from sets and into individual legendaries. Drop tables, bring them back. Bring player skill and player choice into the forefront. Allow me to have a plan when I log into game, make me feel like I'm in the driver's seat instead of waiting for things to just happen to me. Fix the tuning, fix CC / CD / IAS scaling, it's bonkers. Probably more, just too tired to think about it at the moment.
DrothVader, what brings you back to playing, might cause another player to quit. ;)

Changes have been made in the past that have already brought people back from leaving before. Later, Blizzard will make some changes and then that player quits yet again. FOR GOOD!

The designers have a very tough job trying to make as many people happy as possible. It's a known fact that some people will not be happy.

So another question can be asked;
What will cause you to quit playing if you are playing currently?
12/18/2014 05:32 PMPosted by Logos
Start moving power away from sets and into individual legendaries.

When I asked John about this at Blizzcon he seemed quite adamant that they are not going to move away from sets.

While I'll agree with you it's much more fun to play with a "deck" of Legendaries rather than be forced to use a specific set, that's not the direction they're taking the game. =(

More on topic though, thank you for your participation in the discussion. ^.^

12/18/2014 05:33 PMPosted by Sÿlak
DrothVader, what brings you back to playing, might cause another player to quit. ;)

Changes have been made in the past that have already brought people back from leaving before. Later, Blizzard will make some changes and then that player quits yet again. FOR GOOD!

The designers have a very tough job trying to make as many people happy as possible. It's a known fact that some people will not be happy.

So another question can be asked;
What will cause you to quit playing if you are playing currently?

Alright, that's a fair point.

So I'll ask you directly, could you provide any examples of things that I might want or someone else that will cause you to quit the game if implemented?

My biggest contention with the game is the item weighting. Will lessening the severity of the item weighting in turn push you away?

Personally, I'm on the fence about Ancient Items but they are a large point of contention for other players such as Logos.

I think that's also a valuable discussion to be had and I want to thank you for bringing it up.
12/18/2014 05:30 PMPosted by Drothvader
Thanks JaqenHghar and BobWitchDR for contributing the the discussion. ^.^

12/18/2014 05:29 PMPosted by PowerCosmic

I think this is an adequate response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Being an MVP, while it was a valuable learning experience, is not something I want at the moment. I like being an outsider looking in rather than feeling as though I have to post in a certain way that gives Blizzard favorable PR.

In other words I like not being an MVP more than I like being an MVP.

Droth, if it's worth a damn, thank you for your contribution all these years, I enjoyed your honesty and straight up opinion, despite the machine over our shoulders. I always trusted green text any day over blues.

MissCheetah, you hold the torch now, make us proud.
12/18/2014 05:42 PMPosted by PowerCosmic
Droth, if it's worth a damn, thank you for your contribution all these years, I enjoyed your honesty and straight up opinion, despite the machine over our shoulders.

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

Remember though, I don't need a specific color of text to be a part of the discussion.

I am, and always have been, just another part of the community. I've taken a break over the last like 6 or so months since I was unflagged and I believe I'm ready to start contributing to the community again. I don't need silly meaningless titles or text colors to do that.
I'm still playing, but must admit it gets tedious.

What would really get me excited again is a major pack of new, interesting legendaries - not 1 crappy item per class for whole new season. There are so many skills left unused now, just screaming to get some items to empower them enough to make them viable.

Second issue is lack of any Magic Find system that would promote your time spent in game. The idea of drop probability independent of your playtime is just mocking the most devoted players.

In vanilla MF was increasing with your Paragon. That was real incentive to exp up. Right now you have same chance to get ultra-rare item even with thousands of hours played as some newbie who just hit 70 on his first character.

The result is: statistically, looking at the whole playerbase, everything is ok. But the pure RNG system is in the end extremely rewarding for some small players, while being extremely unfair for others.
Because the game isn't fun. Not only is it not fun but checking the PTR patch notes and seeing that they still nerf characters in the name of balance makes me laugh. I'm glad I haven't wasted another minute on this game because there's nothing it offers to me, personally anymore. It was fun while it lasted but it no longer is.

Balancing the game over who can clear some repetitive lame game mode the fastest is a joke in itself. Anyway, nice thread. Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears like most meaningful threads do.
Not like they care.
For those of you that quit... Can I have your account?
I want to multibox.. but wife might kill me for spending all the money lol