For those that have quit, may I ask why?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 38 Next
12/18/2014 08:24 PMPosted by Asmodeous
I Hate the fact that you must find certain items to enable the only viable build each class has.

I don't mind that items are build defining, what I don't like is that only a very small handful of them are actually useful and the ones that are useful are absurdly rare.
I quit because season exclusive legendaries were added.

What would make me come back? Removal of same.
I quit because it felt repetitive. And my friends quit.

I'll probably come back for a month or two with the new patch but I'm sure I'll quit again shortly after. I cant just infinite grind a game like this like some people do, but i certainly enjoy it when I do play.
I quit when the AIS nerf bat hit.Troubling times just how bad D3 vanilla was in every aspect of design back then,not to mention the server problems and forum trade spam.

Playing/farming act 2 inferno didn't give me the sense of satisfaction I *expected* it would gameplay wise for an ARPG and I spent most my time hawking my gear in an Auction House and playing the economy game.

The class *builds* at the time were little more than item number inflaters which bored me to tears.It's only just notably better now than remarkably better now however.

The focus was more action orientated than I was accustomed to for a ARPG and it felt more like a arcade game.

I came back because friends suggested I give ROS a try.I'm staying and playing because

I'm no longer required to play an economy to get gear,craft materials,gold or whatever I'm short of and only need play to acquire stuff I want.

With the addition of the new legs and set pieces I've personally got more builds to enjoy than Vanilla could ever offer and I don't much care what GR level they can efficiently clear,so long as they fit my definition of fun.

Different modes of play ..... not much to say here,was only the campaign when I left.

I've come to terms with D3 being an arcade/action beatem'up type game and learnt to enjoy this type of game.

Anything Blizzard adds,besides and Auction House and lowered drop rates would practically be a boon and cement my staying with the game in the future.

I've been an ARPG fanatic since times when ARPGs weren't for cool kids,so the ARPG grind for gear is water off my back,I give little thought to the length of time it may take,if ever,to get the items I want,for finding them is why I play ARPGs and once found that's petty much game over,at least for that build.
12/18/2014 04:51 PMPosted by Drothvader
And what could be added to bring you back to playing the game?

So I wanted to spark a conversation today because, well, why not. There are many a player who since the launch of RoS have thrown in the towel and called it quits (Myself included) and I wanted to take a moment to tackle this specific question.

Now, you don't have to go super in depth, but try to in about 500 words describe why you have quit Diablo and what could be done to bring you back as a player?

I'll go first.

Why did I quit Diablo?

Well, put in the most simple terms progression in this game feels especially jarring. Once I have completed the set that I have been looking for my item hunt boils down to a very select pool of just a few items that I have to find. More often than not, this is a weapon, amulet, or ring.

I then spend the rest of my time in game looking for that one specific item that I'll never find and I feel as though it's pointless to continue playing when the odds are stacked so heavily against me.

Overall, I feel the journey is lacking and I am way too focused on the end destination. There isn't a diverse enough pool of items to play with at endgame and there are a handful of items that rule them all.

What would bring me back to Diablo?

Well, I do plan on jumping into Season 2 and trying out the journey again but what will really get me to stick to it and keep playing is if the journey was made a little less jarring. What this means is that the super powerful rare items were maybe a little less rare and a little less powerful. If there were more items that I could play with at endgame, I would focus more on looking for items with great stats instead of looking for that one item that will finally allow me to play a specific build.

Now I realize that there are some changes coming in the future patch that help mitigate this somewhat. For example, item weighting has been adjusted so that the super rare items aren't quite so rare. I think this is a very nice change to endgame and will result in less shock moving forward.

Ancient items might also help with this because after I've completed a normal set there's still a chance that I could find an Ancient version of that item. This widens the pool of items that I'm actually looking for.

Whether or not this will renew my interest in the game? I'm not sure. One thing is for certain though, I will definitely try it at least one more time to see if the changes are lucrative enough to go forward.

Now, what are the reasons you guys quit the game and what could be added to bring you back?

I don't think I'll ever quit Diablo, anymore than I'll quit WoW. I will take hiatuses from it when there is nothing for me to do or when real life interferes.

I'll definitely be back for S2.
I stopped playing because of the combination of hardly ever getting items and never finding what I needed to finalize even a single build, let alone multiple builds. I can deal with moderate amounts of randomness, but the droughts and pigeonholing into just a few select items, primarily sets that have to be completed along with a very specific weapon, make the item hunt unpallatable. Say what you will about Diablo 2's skill system, it allowed for a far more diverse set of items than D3's system does because in D2 the skills formed the base of your power and items complimented your builds. Here the items define your builds and you are forced to work around the meager findings you get.

Basically this game uses a WoW style itemization (and soon to be tiering with the introduction of Ancient items) and it just doesn't mesh well with the way a Diablo game is expected to work. When 100% of my power comes from the items I find and I don't find what I want or what I need after even extended periods of time, why would I want to stick around and torture myself further?
12/18/2014 09:15 PMPosted by TheTias
I stopped playing because of the combination of hardly ever getting items and never finding what I needed to finalize even a single build, let alone multiple builds. I can deal with moderate amounts of randomness, but the droughts and pigeonholing into just a few select items, primarily sets that have to be completed along with a very specific weapon, make the item hunt unpallatable. Say what you will about Diablo 2's skill system, it allowed for a far more diverse set of items than D3's system does because in D2 the skills formed the base of your power and items complimented your builds. Here the items define your builds and you are forced to work around the meager findings you get.

Basically this game uses a WoW style itemization (and soon to be tiering with the introduction of Ancient items) and it just doesn't mesh well with the way a Diablo game is expected to work. When 100% of my power comes from the items I find and I don't find what I want or what I need after even extended periods of time, why would I want to stick around and torture myself further?

All true and never going to change.

Baseline/core mechanics,all decided long ago that would probably require rewrite of a magnitude not even considerable by any developer no matter how unpalatable the current iteration is to some.
I'll probably hop on and play a lot more if trials are reworked so I have to do them 90-100% less.

Might come back and play more during 2.1.2 since a certain Witch Doctor build (Carnevil/Dagger of Darts) is getting some love. Might try to get top 10 on solo leaderboards again if they're wiped.
[Deleted]
I stopped playing because

Better said than I could have. I'll echo the points made by The Tias.
The RNG killed it for me. I would sit any click for hours on end, maybe getting 1 legendary item every couple hours. This was during a time other people claimed to be cleaning up, and I would see streams where guys were getting upwards of 20 legendaries an hour. Even after they "fixed" drop issues, I still would play for hours on end and see nothing but useless items. I look at other people's profiles and wonder how they ended up with the gear they have. Most of my time was spent pre paragon, but I found the same luck followed me into RoS.
I originally quit because frankly every build I actually wanted to play, for one reason or another, was inviable.

For example, as a Diablo 2 ancient, I have a certain fondness for Frozen Orb. Frozen Orb in Diablo 3 is perhaps one of the miserable skills in the entire game. I even have most of the gear that other people CAN'T EVEN FIND (IE I have decent Frostburns AND Winter Flurry) and the build still is pretty much impractical. Which I'm actually fine with on some level. I've never been the kind of person who completely shirks actual enjoyment just to play whatever the "best" build is. So it's not that I can't be "da best" with it, it's that I can't even be remotely competitive or useful with it, and no amount of optimization would fix that.

I was also among the first to marry the Akkhan's set with Fate of the Fell, and yet, I still wasn't using the "Holy Shotgun" build just because I hate it. I don't like the gameplay, so I didn't use the build. I didn't even want to use Fate of the Fell for that matter. I just havn't ever managed to find a decent Schaefer's Hammer and even in spite of that still occasionally used one of the craptastic ones I did find. I also still prefer a lightning build even though lightning crusaders are basically irrelevant. Pretty sure my Crusader is holding it right now actually even though I still have a very nicely rolled FotF.

Now, in Vanilla I circumvented the importance of fun and build diversity because at least I could either sell my stuff for profit or at the very least change builds somewhat quickly by using the AH or trading. Now that RoS essentially forces everyone to play "self found" the game is honestly often just more frustrating than it's worth. I've always, always, always been a trader. It's almost a necessity for someone like me who once upon a time had an absolutely perfect variant of just about every highly sought after item in Diablo 2. And I mean perfect. I routinely would trade double an item's value just to acquire a single additional point of defense. I still remember how disgusted my friend was when I traded a 140 def Shako + 36 SoJs for a 141 def Shako. Diablo 3's excessive RnG makes either something like the AH or a decent trading system an absolute necessity, yet both are absent. After enough time trying to grind for a single must-have item that, thanks to poor build diversity, is necessary for whatever build I want to play to even sort of function properly, it's incredibly irritating and disheartening when you don't find whatever you need, or you do find it and it rolls in such a manner that makes it completely useless anyway. That's one huge fundamental flaw in this game. Desired build from a skills standpoint is almost ENTIRELY irrelevant. Builds are completely defined which items/sets are and aren't terrible with skills being a near complete afterthought. So if you don't like the few skills that have enough items to make those skills viable, you're SOL on a build worth the excessive amount of RnG grinding to obtain.

It's also incredibly irritating how often they completely destroy certain builds instead of making other builds just suck less. My blessed hammer crusader was actually pretty damn strong for what it was at one point... and then they basically deleted Provoke-Charged Up from relevance. Pretty much did nothing to really harm the other "problematic" builds; and in fact probably reduced what was sort of a three-way fight into what it is now. There are condemn builds, and then there's everything else.

Now I'm back lurking around because of the potential to perhaps play a few builds I might enjoy, and I've actually already ruled out a couple. I thought I could put up with a fire wiz (especially since I kept finding fire gear while I was looking for the rest of my cold gear [yay, pseudo-perfect Cindercoat]) but come to find out the only fire skill I actually like for the build I was going to use is Arcane Orb - Scorch, which shockingly is actually worse than Frozen Orb. Go figure. Came up with a monk I think I'll enjoy, buuut I need season 2 and patch 2.1.2 to even start playing it and who knows when either of those are happening. Same for the Barb I want to try (which, I really need 2.2 to do what I actually want to do). I've already accepted that the Crusader will never be as enjoyable as Paladins and came up with a build I'm willing to try out, but again, I need 2.1.2 to bother with it.

So now I suppose I'll just lurk around until 2.1.2 drops and try to find some way not to hate this game again, but I honestly don't have much hope. Considering that I literally had to force myself to give away my stuff and my CD-key to quit Diablo 2... the first time... and had to do it again a second time (after playing another two years) to actually quit, it's just hard for me to accept the fact that I can literally pretend this game doesn't exist after only months of actually playing it and not give a damn. Diablo 2 was literally my favorite overall game of all time. I forced myself to quit because I had an actual unhealthy addiction to that game. I once played 80 hours straight, stopping only for bathroom breaks and water (no food), finally passed out, and then played another 36 hours straight. This game? I play it for more than an hour or two at a time and I become utterly disgusted with myself.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. ETA on actual PvP, anyone?

If I had to summarize it, I suppose I quit because the development team honestly seems to be clueless. There's just too much WoW in my Diablo.
I stopped playing regularly because I wasn't having fun and I couldn't get any of my RL friends to play, and they actually would become agitated/angry if i even mentioned playing.

There developers seem to have no sense of urgency. They seem like their goal is to do the minimum.

The only thing that I can think of that would get me to buy the next expansion would be the return of the Necromancer. Obviously, they can do their own spin/take on the class, I'd come back just to see that.
I hit PL 617 and still no SMK. I was planning on quitting at 600 if I did not find one. I stuck around a little longer and got tired of it.

The second reason was my Furnace. I had an 8% and when a second dropped for me, it rolled 7%. I gave the 7% to a friend that was with me. After the nerf, my Furnace became a 40% and the one I gave away became a 50%. I almost uninstalled on the spot when I heard that. I don't understand why they just didn't do this:

6% turns to 40%
7% turns to 45%
8% turns to 50%

One of the rarest items in the game and I got the short end of the stick on a second RNG roll that was crap to begin with.

These two reasons have left me with a strong dislike towards D3.

I logged in last about 2 weeks ago, and it was for a few runs on T6 with a friend. Outside of that, it has been a while that I just logged on to actually play and enjoy myself.
An interesting topic, but the important question is, will the decision makers read this thread?

To put on record, I'm still playing almost everyday, not quitting for sure.

What I wish to write here are the suggestions and criticisms more than a year ago (ever since MP1-10 were introduced).

It seems absurd that a 1000 life-on-hit item only heals 200 per hit. It defeats the text description, and then we get introduced to a fancy term called "proc coefficient" for each type of skill and hit. To make things worse, in-coming damage shoots up at higher difficulties and such stats on gear become increasingly worthless.

The same criticism extends to our various Skill's [Tooltip] damage, that gets out-scaled by mobs toughness. Making all the Skills increasingly useless.

This was the suggestion on the loot-reward system, where items and skills grow with us:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14506440584?page=1#3

The concept can extend to current items upgrading into ancient items as well.

This was the criticism about the design team:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/15142864605?page=2#40

I have been criticised before for wanting to make every build and every rune viable for end-game. People felt that the very nature of end-game will pigeon-hole players to 1-2 builds per class. This is not true. If designed properly, every build and rune can become viable for end-game, when the right combination of game-changing legendary items are found. Conversely, if a character only pushes for IAS/CHC/CHD, the damage output can never reach end-game status. That opens up a whole variety of paths that keeps the game extremely interesting, no matter what type of loot you find.

If the developers read the suggestion and the criticism carefully, the only other aspect they need to pay attention to is that the item combinations cannot all be integrated into one build. Meaning, they have to distribute the game-changing legendary items where the player must choose "either or". Otherwise, we end up having Build #1 merged with Build #2 and the damage output becomes OP compared to other paths.

The current loot system is disappointing to many players because they cannot get the items they want. If the system becomes such that whatever item they looted, there is a path of progression to reach the same end-game content, I am quite certain the players will be happy to explore that path. When they loot other items, they can try other builds. When they find the build and style that they really enjoy playing, they can upgrade those items or skills according to the suggested loot-reward system.
I stopped playing because of the combination of hardly ever getting items and never finding what I needed to finalize even a single build, let alone multiple builds. I can deal with moderate amounts of randomness, but the droughts and pigeonholing into just a few select items, primarily sets that have to be completed along with a very specific weapon, make the item hunt unpallatable.

This is exactly the same reason I stopped playing.

12/18/2014 09:15 PMPosted by Starbird
I don't think I'll ever quit Diablo, anymore than I'll quit WoW. I will take hiatuses from it when there is nothing for me to do or when real life interferes.

Well, I'm just going to be perfectly honest with you. If I didn't know that they were adjusting item weights in the manner that they are, I would have played until 70 for my transmogs and then quit again to go back to WoW like I have been.

I'm having a lot of fun playing WoW at the moment. D3 by comparison is much less fun and will get much less attention from me as a result.

If I do return to D3 it would be on a super casual schedule and probably nothing more than 1-2 rifts per night.

Anyway guys, I just wanted to thank you all again for keeping this thread mostly constructive and drama free. I really appreciate that. ^.^
Granted that I still play daily, but my time is shortened a lot by sleepiness in rifts...
Rift trials - ruins the game completely. One stray mob, some idiot knockback crusader and you end up with a GR 28 stone - boring, frustrating, and out of the player's control
tired to farm gear that will be useless in the future. this is the only game i ever play that keep changing and make your effort wasted.