Rushing in Public Rifts, Why?

General Discussion
First, let me say I am not trying to start any flames, I am genuinely seeking to understand the reason.

I have noticed a lot of people joining into a public regular rift game, and then rush ahead off the mini-map from the rest of the group.

For me, I join public games to increase the experience and gold bonus and paragon level more efficiently. Once you get away from the group, Strength in Numbers falls off. Do you still get an xp bonus just from being in a 4 player game, even if not with the group?

Sure some of these builds are quite capable of clearing all the mobs by themselves, but wouldn't it still be more efficient to fight as a group and clear everything together?

Do you get more blood shards in a 4 player T6 rift v a 1 player t6 rift? If so, I could see that being the case and wanting to jump in, clear the rift as quick as possible, get shards and get on to next rift. But that's not the behavior I'm seeing.

Maybe I need my perspective adjusted. To me, especially once a group decides to clear a rift, it becomes about killing everything for treasure and xp. When the rusher goes away, they are impacting my ability to maximize the xp, gold and treasure bonuses.

Again, just seeing to understand the perspective because I haven't been able to figure it out yet, and would like to hear from some of those who do.

Edit: Sorry, I am not sure I made the scenario I am thinking off clear. I am talking about when a group is going together and one person goes off far ahead of the group. Not when the group moves on and I (or a single other person) is left behind. I don't think in a public regular rift group, that the group should slow down to match the slowest player. To me regular rifts are about the party sticking together to take advantage of the bonuses, which includes treasure drops. Greater Rifts, without any treasure, the focus is understandably all about speed and making the bar fill faster. Trash mobs aren't as efficient in a GR scenario, but that's not the case in a regular rift.
Gotta go fast! No one wants to spend more than 10 seconds on a single creature. Normal monsters don't really offer much either. Try to keep up with your group.
Because some players want to have all the fun. Everyone else is left with trash or nothing to kill.

What I do is pull out Aether Walker and use Teleport+Wormhole and show those kinds of players how it's really done.

EDIT:
Clarify that I only do this in rift games with these types of players.
The rusher is the efficient one. He's killing everything and you're lagging behind. How is that efficient for you or the group? You could keep up and maximize the xp bonus for you and him or if you rather just be slow and pick up loot then play with people who want to do that. But the rusher is killing things faster by consistently moving forward which nets more xp/hr so he's obviously the more efficient one.
The multyplayer bonus is bad, especially regarding drops. It is WAY more effective to kill as fast as possible.

That is why people "rush".
01/18/2015 06:35 PMPosted by Snollygoster
The rusher is the efficient one. He's killing everything and you're lagging behind. How is that efficient for you or the group? You could keep up and maximize the xp bonus for you and him or if you rather just be slow and pick up loot then play with people who want to do that. But the rusher is killing things faster by consistently moving forward which nets more xp/hr so he's obviously the more efficient one.

Who cares about efficiency? Everyone else wants to kill some monsters and have fun. It's a game after all!

The rusher ruins the game for everyone else.
01/18/2015 06:37 PMPosted by nslay

Who cares about efficiency? Everyone else wants to kill some monsters and have fun. It's a game after all!

How so? Before I was able to rush fast, I found it fun when someone powerful would come and destroy everything for our group.
I can kinda understand where the OP is coming from.

I main a monk, and when I was TR - Flurry, I was easily left behind.

Even now with me using a WoL Fire build, if I don't use my dashing strike on CD, I'm still easily left behind lol
I'll break off on occasion especially when the path splits, just to make sure I don't skip over anything good.
It sometimes pays off as I have ran into a goblin pack that would've otherwise been missed.
If not, I teleport or charge my way back to the group, no harm, no foul.
Does it really require an explanation? The faster you go the faster you finish. The faster you finish the more rifts u can do. The more rifts you can do the more legendaries you can get.

Usually the person that is goin ahead of the group sacked some dps for more speed. U might say, wouldnt that make killing things slower? There is such a thing as overkilling in t6. If you can already annihilate t6 elite with ur normal spec, you can definitely sac some of it for utility spells that boost speed.

Plus it is usually better to leave leftover trash mobs after u kill the elite just to shave off a couple of secs getting to the next elite. Trash mob's droprate on legs r so low its not worth killing every single one of them. Kill the elite and move on.

Tip for OP - If you are maining your wd. One thing that could help u keep up is taking off the jungle fortitude passive for fierce loyalty. U have more than enough def to survive in t6, you are sort of overdoing it.
01/18/2015 06:37 PMPosted by nslay

Did you read his post at all?

For me, I join public games to increase the experience and gold bonus and paragon level more efficiently.

So if he joins for efficiency and someone is rushing then he needs to keep up to be more efficient. Are you arguing that? I hope not.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No. I'm wrong again. I read it correctly.

It's you who misunderstood. He/She is complaining about the rusher running off from the group reducing the experience and gold he/she receives.
Interesting responses. I see the point for the efficiency. I am perfectly capable of killing mobs quickly and moving on, but I tend to like to kill everything and break all breakables. I am in it for treasure just as well, I do stop and pick up some loot.

I am all for getting through the rift quickly and moving on to the next, but when I think Clear, I mean clear. Not leaving trash mobs behind. After all, they may not be much XP but they are some.

Now all of that being the case, can we agree that if you are in it for XP, it doesn't really pay to get away from the Strength in Numbers bonus provided? If you spot that the rest of the group isn't keeping up (which is something different than unable, btw) and there is one person rushing off so far that would seem to me to be counter to maximizing your individual bonus?

So far I haven't mentioned any game mechanic that I wasn't aware of, so I guess it is just boiling down to people feeling they don't want to clean up everything and don't care about the group xp bonus. If that's the case, why not just stick to solo play where you can easily clear things faster as the mobs aren't tougher due to the multiplayer damage and health multipliers?

I understand not everyone goes in with the same goal/agenda into the group, but it makes it tough being thrown into a group randomly and trying to find like minded players. I suppose that's why there is the community feature :)

Thanks for the feedback.

It's you who misunderstood. He/She is complaining about the rusher running off from the group reducing the experience and gold he/she receives.

Under the guise of efficiency. If you care about efficiency you will keep up with people who are fast. If he actually doesn't care about efficiency and he's like you then he should have your complaints. He's wrong to say he joins groups for efficiency because it's clearly not the case.
I think players who rush aren't in it for the gold or XP. They're usually higher paragon (at least the ones I've seen).

Aside, I read that there's a 30% Magic Find (MF) bonus for 3 players in Strength in Numbers. I also read that due to Blizzard nerfing MF, this actually amounts to 3%. So players looking for legendaries (probably the rushers) don't care about Strength in Numbers.

So players who want to find more legendaries might join a public game, rush through and kill everything at their own pace. Then circle back and find legendaries dropped from elite packs killed by other players.

Here's the reasoning from a different thread:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/15700045200?page=7#124

First two paragraphs.
depends on the class and build.

raekor barb specifically needs a LOT of mob to be really efficient and fun. it can 1 hit some trash mobs given good density.

firebird wiz also i think just need to cast blizzard once then all is good. move on to the next trash mob.
01/18/2015 07:05 PMPosted by Dozdo
Now all of that being the case, can we agree that if you are in it for XP, it doesn't really pay to get away from the Strength in Numbers bonus provided?

Nope, it is simply more efficient to run off and kill as quickly as possible. Sorry to say that, but 4 people off killing on their own is about twice as effective as staying together. The only case that is not true, is if someone cannot solo in a 4player game. In that case it is way more efficient to stay and kill together. But considering in most cases it is about needing 2s or 4s, rushing through is way more efficient.

It is simply a result of t6 being too "easy" by now, combined by the "strength in numbers" buff being really really low. It is not about people being unsocial, it is about people falling in line with how the game works best in terms of rewards vs. investment.

Just a simple example: XP runs are done on Fields of Misery. That is done by everyone running off into another direction and starting killing.
01/18/2015 07:07 PMPosted by Snollygoster

Under the guise of efficiency. If you care about efficiency you will keep up with people who are fast. If he actually doesn't care about efficiency and he's like you then he should have your complaints. He's wrong to say he joins groups for efficiency because it's clearly not the case.

You're right, the OP does sound inefficient. But he/she said he/she joins groups for the XP/gold bonus. It just so happens that the rushing players run off from the group and reduce the XP he/she receives from Strength in Numbers. He/she cannot keep up with these players.
01/18/2015 07:17 PMPosted by nslay
It just so happens that the rushing players run off from the group and reduce the XP he/she receives from Strength in Numbers.

which is wrong. The one who rushed of actually increases the total amount of XP per s because amount of monsters killed per s is increased more than the buff would give you.
01/18/2015 07:18 PMPosted by page
01/18/2015 07:17 PMPosted by nslay
It just so happens that the rushing players run off from the group and reduce the XP he/she receives from Strength in Numbers.

which is wrong. The one who rushed of actually increases the total amount of XP per s because amount of monsters killed per s is increased more than the buff would give you.

I could see that. But I think that ultimately depends how fast the 4 players can clear the rift together with the 30% bonus, vs 1 player clearing the rift with a 20% bonus for the other 3 players (assuming the other 3 stay together). This could be worse off for the single rushing player who receives no bonus.