is my smk holding me back from grifting high?

Witch Doctor
it's kind of a junk smk... : / ... any suggestions on what to upgrade next?
you should have rolled vit to 10% damage. you ruined it.

it would otherwise be a good smk.

but its certainly not the smk thats holding you back, use double unity instead of rorg and use augild chest.

you also ruined your rolls on your moj, soj and witching hour. just awful rolls on otherwise good gear.

you should also be using spirit vessel over tribal rites.
... ok. so when I find new gear I will come ask about rolls... does new gear ever drop again?

is there a way to link items instead of just using profile inspect?
ok... what about for group play. what do you think about the stats on the aughilds. see any I should be looking for specificially? reduce damage from elites or range or melee?
Mask of Jeram (int, vit, 6% cc, socket, 90%+ pet damage)
SMK (x-1400+ damage, int, 10% damage, socket)
Witching Hour (int, vit, ias, ccd)
Homunculus (x-400+ damage, int, vit, FA damage, crit)
Stone of Jordan (physical, int, socket)

Mask of Jeram you should find again fairly quickly with Kadala. It might take a while to get the right stats. Witching Hour takes longer just to get one. Sorry about your SMK. That really could have been an amazing SMK if you rolled vit for 10% damage. It might be a very long time until you see another. However, your current SMK is great for a zDPS build.

Aughilds shoulders, I prefer armor over life%.

Start looking for an 8 second Tiklandian Visage mask so you can try the Tiki Sacrifice build.
I have a witching hour that costs me 2% dps and 20% regen, and gives me 10% durability paper stats. 6%ias 29% cd with int and vit.

use it?

why armor over life higher durability rating the better, or no?

... and yea I didn't know about the dam% over vit for smk before I rolled it.
I've read a few wd build guides that values armour over life% or all res.

I almost never reroll my mainstat higher unless all my other stats are ideal (which almost never happens) and it's abysmally low. You don't get much return value.

Don't fret too much though; with the 2.1.2 patch, we'll all be farming for the new ancient items.
Hi Esoteric,

Maybe you can roll the INT to 10% damage (and reroll back to INT when the tests isnt satisfactory)
Of try to get 15% Fetish Army om shoulders and Armor and off hand.

And try to find / get a MoJeram with CC

And BTW..... what GRift can you clear now?
01/07/2015 01:52 AMPosted by Genzaniku
Maybe you can roll the INT to 10% damage

NO! Don't do that just for trying.
Calculate with PaulNG's spreadsheet first (gear comparison, 2nd page, bottom right).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VcHVYqqmoYvlY-w-0q-qu9y1BIAf-Bq1lx6dPx6wKIY/edit#gid=1705316196

01/06/2015 10:03 PMPosted by esoteric
why armor over life higher durability rating the better

Life gives you a fake toughness by inflating your health pool. Armor increases your damage reduction, so less damage even reaches that health pool. Since we get AllRes through Int, we preferably seek for Armor.

Your MoJ is missing CHC instead of all res. For GRifts I'd ditch the Tal's Chest + RoRG and use a Unity.
Btw, sick Mara's!

Gearing your follower is also very helpful. Take a look at my enchantress
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AlCalzone-2424/hero/41872026
or FriendlyFade's
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FriendlyFade-1865/hero/10861976
for ideas how to gear her.
Basically, your DPS is low. What Al said is right.

But if you really want to go higher, find a good tiki visage. It's the best way to keep your pets alive and kicking.
Getting crit chance on your helm and rings will go a long way.. +18% crit is very strong.
awww man I feel bad for that re-roll choice. It isn't too late, I would opt for 10% damage over the int.

anyways, join witch doctor chat channel and ask for advice as your receive gear as to avoid making mistakes
01/06/2015 06:59 PMPosted by wadss

but its certainly not the smk thats holding you back, use double unity instead of rorg and use augild chest.

you also ruined your rolls on your moj, soj and witching hour. just awful rolls on otherwise good gear.

I spent a while thinking over what you said, are you sure you know what your talking about witht he rest of my gear?

as a side note, spirit vessel is a trash spell, I spent a while playing with it. just aweful. maybe its good if your using horrify, but not with pets...
01/07/2015 10:21 AMPosted by Rakimallah
awww man I feel bad for that re-roll choice. It isn't too late, I would opt for 10% damage over the int.

anyways, join witch doctor chat channel and ask for advice as your receive gear as to avoid making mistakes

ill have to ask chat channel, thanks for the advice!
01/07/2015 02:38 AMPosted by VeNoMxBR
Basically, your DPS is low. What Al said is right.

But if you really want to go higher, find a good tiki visage. It's the best way to keep your pets alive and kicking.

tikis... ok. so ...

in the next patch they make pets stronger again... ironically, in the next patch there is a new game with the name esoteric in it. I would ask if they named it after me but the ptr update was posted before I started commenting on the forums...

•New Legendary Gems have been added •Esoteric Alteration •Gain 10% non-Physical damage reduction•Upgrade rank grants: +0.5% non-Physical damage reduction•Rank 25 unlocks: While below half Life, your resistances to Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, and Arcane are increased by 75%

that is a freaking awesome gem. I would probably use that instead of pain enhancer....

anyone know what the drop rate is for smk? I heard they are going to increase it for shards after patch so I should wait tell after patch to gamble for another one? - I found it! ... no wonder why they don't post the data anywhere... its around 1 in 3300 roles from kadala. holy crap. that's bad. :/ ... nah because then we will have this idiot running around with a smk at lvl 28. ... I found it online just now* 8:50pm here.

... I think I am ok. I am the only tank witch doctor there is....
Latest update I've read somewhere is that the SMK drop rate is currently 1.4% (of legendary ceremonial knives). And with the drop-rate of ceremonial knives fairly low compared to other weapon types, if you do the math, it's ultra-rare. I think it was previously something like 1.6% or 1.8%. Either way, very, very low.

Yes, I hear there is going to be about a 2x increase. So it will help, but still very low. :(
I wouldn't waste shards on a weapon until at least after the patch because of Ancients and due to cost and you have other armor pieces in place.
01/07/2015 07:01 PMPosted by esoteric
01/06/2015 06:59 PMPosted by wadss

I spent a while thinking over what you said, are you sure you know what your talking about witht he rest of my gear?

as a side note, spirit vessel is a trash spell, I spent a while playing with it. just aweful. maybe its good if your using horrify, but not with pets...

yes what i said is correct. you should have rolled AR to crit on helm (huge fail), regen to vit on witching hour, armor to a crit stat on soj (another huge fail), not to mention the smk. i'm certain that any other veteran d3 player will agree.

as far as spirit vessel goes, it's one of the most important passives for wd's in greater rifts. only second to FS. not only does it save you from death, it reduces cd on SW by a set amount, it's one of the best skills in the game for survivability, it's on par with double unity. a single death on long map could mean the difference between beating or failing the grift. this is why even dh's use their cheat death passive over many other skills that could boost dps.
01/07/2015 07:48 PMPosted by ten
Latest update I've read somewhere is that the SMK drop rate is currently 1.4% (of legendary ceremonial knives). And with the drop-rate of ceremonial knives fairly low compared to other weapon types, if you do the math, it's ultra-rare. I think it was previously something like 1.6% or 1.8%. Either way, very, very low.

Yes, I hear there is going to be about a 2x increase. So it will help, but still very low. :(
I wouldn't waste shards on a weapon until at least after the patch because of Ancients and due to cost and you have other armor pieces in place.

I think like a 50% increase on it would not be bad... I found mine around 50 hours of play into t4.. I think around the 200h mark on my witch doctor. I would have been happier to advance to t6 faster then that... was a little laborous to get there. after the smk dropped I started/have been making progress again for last 100 hours of play.
01/07/2015 07:52 PMPosted by wadss

yes what i said is correct. you should have rolled AR to crit on helm (huge fail), regen to vit on witching hour, armor to a crit stat on soj (another huge fail), not to mention the smk. i'm certain that any other veteran d3 player will agree.

as far as spirit vessel goes, it's one of the most important passives for wd's in greater rifts. only second to FS. not only does it save you from death, it reduces cd on SW by a set amount, it's one of the best skills in the game for survivability, it's on par with double unity. a single death on long map could mean the difference between beating or failing the grift. this is why even dh's use their cheat death passive over many other skills that could boost dps.

well fortunately since all these items but the smk drop all the time for me, I will find another one in a few days of work.

as far as spirit vessel goes we must have seriously significantly different play styles. my spirit vessel button doesn't even work half the time with all the lag I play in. hell it doesn't even work half the time even when there is no lag. its only real use is running from mob pack to mob pack, and occasionally when I am feeling creative resuscitating a dead hero in a grift.
what?