Greed's Domain!

General Discussion
Just got a goblin to open the portal to Greed's hideout. Acquire lots of Imperial gems and 48 mil+ in gold! I've gotten into the vault a few times before but only totaled around 25 mil in the past. Was playing on T4 (the highest level I've gotten in so far). Not that I really need the gold but it's still nice!
Grats! I killed a handful of gobbers the other morning and I was certaintly hopeful to see a nice golden portal open, but it never did. It's been awhile since I've paid a visit to the greed world. It's an enjoyable trip.
I just came back from being away from D3 for a long time. As I was running some bounties on my Crusader I found my way into The Vault. I didn't know at the time how rare of an occasion it was to get the portal to open but now I am really glad it did! Boon of the Hoarder dropped, I immediately put it into a ring and never thought once about taking it out.

Within a week I earned "The One Percent" (100 million gold found) and I'm currently sitting at over 130m gold. :D
When the portal opens, how long does it stay open? I think I've missed entering the portal a time or two because it closed after several seconds.
12/26/2014 10:03 AMPosted by Skovgaard
When the portal opens, how long does it stay open? I think I've missed entering the portal a time or two because it closed after several seconds.

That portal you are seeing is the portal spawns in front of all goblins before they are hit and it disapperas after they are disturbed. They can get scared if you get too close, and just run away from the portal and escape before you "engage" them.

12/26/2014 07:57 AMPosted by BobWitchDR
Grats! I killed a handful of gobbers the other morning and I was certaintly hopeful to see a nice golden portal open, but it never did. It's been awhile since I've paid a visit to the greed world. It's an enjoyable trip.

Do goblin packs occur outside rifts?
12/26/2014 10:03 AMPosted by Skovgaard

The portal stays open as long as the game is occupied. I have come out in town and then went back to doing the bounties I was working on and run past the open portal to complete bounties. I wondered the first few times I went in if it closed after I went through, but nope, they stay put as long as the game is occupied.
So you're saying the portal stays open regardless if I enter it or not?

I ask because a few times after I've killed a goblin a portal either appears, or it was the one the goblin opened to escape through and I killed him while it was open. Either way, the portal only stays open for a few seconds then closes.
12/26/2014 10:49 AMPosted by Skovgaard
Either way, the portal only stays open for a few seconds then closes.

That's not the portal you need. That's just the Goblins portal that will disappear when killed.

The one you need, will make an audible sound when you kill the Goblin akin to chimes and a shimery gold portal will open.
12/26/2014 10:30 AMPosted by grovak
Do goblin packs occur outside rifts?

I've never seen a goblin pack outside of a rift (which I've come upon only twice, inside a rft), but the portal will only open from a goblin killed outside of a rift.
The portals you can entry look way more detailed and shimmery than the goblins normal portal. The first 2 times I got a portal, I didn't see it open, I just went right through because I was frantically attacking the goblin. The first time I actually saw the portal was after I completed it, and then ran across it again finishing up my bounties. I had the same questions you did until that point.
When a goblin portal opens for you, it will also show a door on the mini map, so if you are unfamiliar with the portal (the descriptions and sounds in the posts above are accurate), then looking at the mini map will erase all doubt.
12/26/2014 12:38 PMPosted by TEHvomit
The first 2 times I got a portal, I didn't see it open, I just went right through because I was frantically attacking the goblin.

This happened to me a couple times too. Didn't get to see the animation of the portal opening. The worst thing is that you must portal back to town (from Greed's Domain) and then make your way back to the portal opening to pickup what the goblin dropped. One time I heard the legendary ding and knew I got something but I already went through the portal, had to make my way back to see what I got :-)