GRift 44 cleared! - New GRift observations

Wizard
Thanks to my ancient devastator and ancient FB source, and of course the density GRift increase, it took me 5 tries to clear a GRift 44, that puts me on #8 overall =D. Some things I notice on my first 5 GRifts as wizard this 2.1.2 patch, well 6, I cleared a 42 before this on the first try:

1) The density is really AWESOME!, clumping enemies with blackhole has never felt so satisfying.

2) It is most definitely worth it to kill the whites now, there are just so so many.

3) Not sure if bad luck on this one, but out of the 6 GRifts all of them had archers and LOTS of them, and 5 of them also had those annoying ghosts... lots of evading, and I died 2 times when I cleared the 44.

4) You basically get 1 free die, 0 seconds restart, and 5 seconds increase after that, this is definitely an improvement

5) There are a lot more pylons now, but conduit is arguably now weaker, than the power pylon in my opinion, they do seem more balanced now, even shield now lasts a long time and it can be pretty useful specially when often the screen is completely covered in arrows and monsters.

6) Teleport - calamity seems to be really useful now, due to the increased density, and it also helps apply EE.

7) The randomness element to GRifts has been reduced DRASTICALLY, a conduit pylon means barely anything now, and the density is very consistent, in fact in all my 5 tries, I was within 1:30 minutes of clearing or less, which speaks as to how consistent it is now. Before you could try a level and have 5 minutes left, or fail it by 2 minutes.

I definitely think I can clear a GRift 45, with the Ancient devastator, something like ancient furnace or ancient SS, should probably be able to clear up to 47 in my opinion. I don't have other ancient items other than my gloves which are not that great, so I can imagine that ceiling will raise as people find more Ancient items. Also people will have greater level gems, with the decrease in difficulty which means more damage, right now I have 49, 50, 50 so they are relatively low.
Hmm I wonder pallis cleared 45 with his furnace...

Gj Oscar!
01/15/2015 09:31 PMPosted by yodatoy
Hmm I wonder pallis cleared 45 with his furnace...

Gj Oscar!

Nope still at 40. Not a huge gr fan, as you know.

Edit: and gratz!
Grifts were before patch was based on skill and some luck. I think with current patch it's now more about luck having ancient gear than skill for the moment until everyone has had a chance to get geared again.
01/16/2015 05:56 AMPosted by LuckyDog
Grifts were before patch was based on skill and some luck. I think with current patch it's now more about luck having ancient gear than skill for the moment until everyone has had a chance to get geared again.
I think once the playing field is a bit more even the evened out density + lack of conduit ridiculousness will see builds + skill outshine random ancient weapons.
[quote="160147805585"]will see builds + skill utshine random ancient weapons.

can't agree with you about weapon ... ancient weapon are an HUGE boost if rolled properly.

ancient armor are not mandatory yeah, most off, but still a decent upgrade. (again, if rolled properly ..)
01/16/2015 06:20 AMPosted by Khepesh
[quote]
will see builds + skill utshine random ancient weapons.

can't agree with you about weapon ... ancient weapon are an HUGE boost if rolled properly.

ancient armor are not mandatory yeah, most off, but still a decent upgrade. (again, if rolled properly ..)

I definitely agree with this, but I think for now till people find ancient furnace/SS/SK, the playfield is actually more leveled, because anyone can craft an ancient Devastator, while before only some people could find a Furnace, I was never lucky enough to find one. Also as per calculations ancient devastator is only slightly better than Furnace or equal, depending on a number of factors, meaning everyone can compete with an ancient Devastator for now.

The armors will eventually play a roll for sure, but not many people have found many of those if any.
so the exact same playstyle works with no variation compatible?
man this patch
in the meantime barbs charging through GRift 60, np

give back CM/WW bliz. pls =3
lol cm/ww bliz was broken for sure, but at least make mirrorball frozen solid hydra viable...
Grats on the accomplishment.
01/16/2015 07:03 AMPosted by Nasreth
in the meantime barbs charging through GRift 60, np

Yeah, except that was pre-2.1.2. Note how globally there has been zero barb leaderboard movement above GR45 since 2.1.2 was launched.

Another reason why Era 1 has been a fail. Still cannot fathom why the leaderboards weren't frozen/archived upon 2.1.2 launch.
Nicely done!

I feel like FB DoT no longer snapshots the power pylon. Thoughts?
01/16/2015 07:44 AMPosted by ChangBooster
I feel like FB DoT no longer snapshots the power pylon. Thoughts?

Yeah, I had that opportunity on my second(?) GR45 attempt on patch day. About 3.5 minutes to knock out Bone Warlock and I had a Power Pylon active.

Didn't do anything really other than pop a Potion during the buff (not after). But my DoT ticks returned to normal as soon as the steroids wore off. Perhaps it was timing, that the Potion buff expired after the Pylon's. Didn't notice at the time, but that might have been it.

I know Harrington's buff can be snapshot into the DoT, so I don't doubt that Power Pylon still applies.
Yeah I was noticing that it seems snapshotting is working a bit differently somehow. It's on the list of things I want to test.
Hmm. With new pylon density, I wonder if it makes sense to kite the RG through the level in search of a pylon.
01/16/2015 10:38 AMPosted by grippgoat
Hmm. With new pylon density, I wonder if it makes sense to kite the RG through the level in search of a pylon.

That was already a thing pre-2.1.2. It's just that it's much easier now (surprise, surprise).

Once you get a good feel of how long it takes you to take down a standard hassle-free RG (as in non-Orlash, Saxtris types), you'll know whether or not the Rift is a fail by the time you're down to 5, 4, 3 minutes.

For example, if I'm down to <4 minutes when a RG spawns on a GR44 or 45, I know chances of passing the Rift are slim. Kiting while looking for a Pylon is already going to be the only option.

However, if I have somewhere around 4.5-5 minutes, then I'd be playing more aggressively. Passively inching along to look for a Pylon while maintaining consistent aggro/leash range on the RG to ensure maximum DPS flow. Just in case there is no Pylon, I'd still have enough time to squeeze out the clear.
01/16/2015 10:38 AMPosted by grippgoat

That was already a thing pre-2.1.2. It's just that it's much easier now (surprise, surprise).

Once you get a good feel of how long it takes you to take down a standard hassle-free RG (as in non-Orlash, Saxtris types), you'll know whether or not the Rift is a fail by the time you're down to 5, 4, 3 minutes.

For example, if I'm down to <4 minutes when a RG spawns on a GR44 or 45, I know chances of passing the Rift are slim. Kiting while looking for a Pylon is already going to be the only option.

However, if I have somewhere around 4.5-5 minutes, then I'd be playing more aggressively. Passively inching along to look for a Pylon while maintaining consistent aggro/leash range on the RG to ensure maximum DPS flow. Just in case there is no Pylon, I'd still have enough time to squeeze out the clear.

I agree most people did that pre 2.1.2, and personally I think that was a really bad mechanic really luck based, right now for sure what would be best is to find a power pylon when you are about to hit the RG, the conduit one is kinda useless almost. I didn't know that power pylon could snapshot the FB dot damage, but if it still does that would be a HUGE buff if you manage to find one, kinda of a let down if it does, because then we are back to fishing for pylons again. The current play style is not quite as pylon dependent, I hope Power Pylon doesn't snapshot.

The logic behind Harrington doing the snapshot and therefore Power Pylon doing it, makes a lot of sense, although Blizzard did mention that they wanted pylons to not be as game changing, so it is very possible they decided to make it not snapshot.

I didn't even know about the potions making the firebird DoT snap shot fall off, to be perfectly honest I never paid to much attention to the DoT snap shotting, but I do know it can also work with Strongarms, and that the gems update in real time that's as far as I have looked into it. Anything else that is relevant for the DoT snapshot that you can add?, just trying to learn exactly how it works.

Zarnoss: Yes, I believe pretty much the same play style still works, but I checked the leadeboards and some people are trying some different variations that are working well.

EDIT: Regarding why they didn't freeze the leaderboards before 2.1.2 I am really suprised they did not, I though they would, it will definitely have a big impact on the leaderboards that's for sure, not so much because of the ancient weapons - unless many people find Ancient Furnace/SS/SK before February which seems unlikely, Ancient Furance is definitely harder to find than a normal Furnace from before as even with the buff, Ancients themselves are only 10%, and Furnace was really hard to find 2.1 and ancient one is now harder - but because of the increased GRift density, and the free die, or wait often less to get to the same point, the Monsters are also weaker although that might or might not have an impact to some, I think it does specially for DoT things, i.e. molten, poison, frozen etc.

Just found this thread if anyone is interested in snapshotting:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14058607023
the density is unbelievable.
cleared 39/40/41 all first try.
with the exact same gear from before. no ancients.
i haven't tried 42 yet, but i don't think i'll have a problem.