Let's Talk About a Subscription

General Discussion
Yesterday I posted Hearthstone vs. D3 and was beaten over the head by some D3 fanboys that we should take our "free" content and LIKE IT.

While that is not a fair analysis because we paid, what, $40 for D3? $30ish for the expansion? $75ish total? Hearthstone players can literally pay nothing and play all they want. We paid the equivalent of what 40 packs of virtual cards?

BUT let's go with the "D3" players don't, as Obama puts it, "pay our fair share". I would personally be willing to pay a subscription for quality and timely content updates much like WOW players pay.

I am not sure how much of a subscription I would pay for D3 though. Rainbows and unicorns is just not in the true Diablo motif as most agree.

I'm curious though...if D3 announced a subscription with guaranteed updates like POE players receive for free...would you be willing to pay? OR if D4 was announced with a subscription with monthly updates...would you and what would you be willing to pay?

I would pay $15 personally.
i would let others pay for stupid little pets and mogs if it made the game money to do more updates
FYI: Hearthstone makes RETARDED amounts of money for Blizzard. Even though you can play it for free, a stupid amount of people pay.

Considering we paid 60 bucks for both, even though the game isn't perfect, I've gotten my money out of it. Of course, I would probably be ok with a subscription based if they pushed consistent new content too
Subscription = paying for 90% of time you cannot spend playing.

No thanks very bad deal.

Recharging game time for added benefits with actual real challenging / not RNG based endgame (WoW mythic boss fights like endgame) that may work. Transforming the single player ARPG to an mmo.

Still releasing an expansion each year for 60 bucks, which makes old content obsolete, it is like a 5 dollar sub/month for anyone who want to play.

Current we have ancient items, but still most legendaries do not even have a legendary affix. The game was sold in 20 million+ copies. Every desing /patch decision is made with a very small support patch/ recycling team in mind and maximizing time sinks.

Enjoy regring your Bis items with 2.1.2 with 5-10times lower droprate (ancients) while waiting for res in GRifts.

Money / income is not the issue here at all.
02/03/2015 06:48 PMPosted by SitKill
FYI: Hearthstone makes RETARDED amounts of money for Blizzard. Even though you can play it for free, a stupid amount of people pay.

Considering we paid 60 bucks for both, even though the game isn't perfect, I've gotten my money out of it. Of course, I would probably be ok with a subscription based if they pushed consistent new content too

HS is one of many Pay to win card games. Where one random card pack drop card wins games. And many wins tournaments and none does not even get you to rank 5.

Of course they pay money as the competition is based on money. Do not forget time is money also. Obtaining cards / packs byb playing a lot gets you lot less packs than working same time in a job and spending that amount on packs. (naturally most people do both - play HS in work time on their Pc or tablet :D

It is very frustrating experience to play any so called TCG (most does not even offer trading option) where even playing much better and smarter the "money" cards just demolish you at the end.

At least since AH closure Diablo is not p2win (that is why i bought it at 2.02). It is bot to win as any item based game.
02/03/2015 06:48 PMPosted by Bodoka
Money / income is not the issue here at all.

I'm not sure I believe that. What other reasons would cause the VERY lengthy time in between updates, content added, etc? You would think that with monthly income that Blizzard would be able to hire staff that could add legendaries, new gems, small amounts of content each month?
This isn't an MMO. There is zero reason why they would need monthly fees.
Let's Talk About a Subscription

Let's not. Blizz can monetize by selling stash space, character slots, wings and stuff like that. They can even bring the pets from back in the beta -- the snake, the pig, the scorpion and other nice cosmetic goodness.
But a mandatory subscription for a game we already payed is out of the question. With the current build diversity, no one would pay it anyways.
02/03/2015 06:38 PMPosted by Rage
I'm curious though...if D3 announced a subscription with guaranteed updates like POE players receive for free...would you be willing to pay? OR if D4 was announced with a subscription with monthly updates...would you and what would you be willing to pay?

how many times is this topic due to be beaten into the ground? ppl dont want a sub on this game.
I wont ever play a sub game again.
I cannot justify it. I play plenty of games, and there are plenty of free games, that I can play instead.
And I don't even get anything for my $15. Just access. I could spend $15 and get something tangible in return. Rather than extend the right to play a game I paid for in the first place.
If I can't play it, what did I pay for? The right to install code? That's bull. You can install WoW right now without a sub. So what does buying it get you? Not a damn thing.

As for hearthstone. It's a horrible hit or miss game. Its pay to win reality means casual players get stomped into the dirt every so often (sometimes more often than not). And the minor UI bugs are a constant worry that this game is barely held together with scotch tape.
You have to wait until every animation completes before you can know that something else isn't going to happen, and that your next action will actually be acknowledged.
02/03/2015 06:48 PMPosted by Bodoka
Subscription = paying for 90% of time you cannot spend playing.

No thanks very bad deal.

It's actually a really good deal. A modest subscription fee gives unlimited access for an entire month for just more than a two hour movie ticket.

I would gladly pay that for additional content, bug fixes, and overall TLC given to this game.
02/03/2015 07:19 PMPosted by Morogoth
02/03/2015 06:38 PMPosted by Rage

how many times is this topic due to be beaten into the ground? ppl dont want a sub on this game.

Hmmmm...if people don't want it then why does the topic get raised so often?

The fact is that like most things in this game some people want it and others don't.

Personally, I wouldn't be adverse to the idea as long as it meant regular new content. It would also give the player base some additional bargaining power. So often people complain in these forums that the devs never seem to listen to much of the quality feedback players give them. Well if the game was subscription based then they'd be risking their income by ignoring feedback because players would simply stop subscribing.
YES! I would totally pay up to $15 a month for weekly updates and huge item packs. New modes, maps, monsters, classes.

Imagine how good D3 would be if it tripled it's current content.
A $15 monthly subscription would equate to basically $0.50 a day. I think everyone could afford that.

But I am against having a subscription. As others have stated, this is not an MMO, so there's no reason to have massive content developed for monthly releases. The basis of this game is the item hunt, which DOES have a shelf-life.

I do, however, support some type of micro-transaction shop. Not to bring PoE into this, but their's is a good example. Stash tabs and bundles, cosmetic effects for everything from foot steps to weapons, cosmetic armor sets, npc pets, etc. I never spend any extra money on a game unless I have to. But I probably would consider it for this game.
Why not some kind of itemshop .... no need for subscription.
I would totally support that if it keeps the content fresh and makes the game BETTER, instead of changing everything every few months.
Pay a sub for this game? Certainly, if you want to drive players away. Micro transactions good, sub fees bad.
if they release new map every month sure... if not no
No, get out of here with that nonsense. $15 is too much to pay monthly for any game.

D3 = free forever..... after that initial buy it fee... for every expansion that !@#$ out.
This game sold 20 million copies and people think more money needs to be thrown at it in order for it to improve. It's unbelievable.