Ironcore (Season 2)

Hardcore
1 2 3 15 Next
*** Community Created: "Ironcore Season 2" ***

I've made mention of this in the past, but now that Season 2 is soon approaching, I figured I may as well explain the whole deal.

One thing I quickly came to dislike in Season 1 was how often someone would "die," the clan would offer power leveling assistance, and then that same player was back in T6 rifts 45 minutes later doing 8% less damage than they were before. In addition to shared paragon and more death passives, Hardcore mode, something built around the idea of one life to live, became Gear Wipe mode.

To move away from that feeling, I've come up with a method of playing that is a bit of a throwback to those who used to play self-found during the AH days. I call it Ironcore, and it goes as follows:

**This section has changed after much discussion within the thread**

• Your first Seasonal character is considered 'Ironcore.' You have one life. After you die, you are free to play however you like from then on.
  • At the start of the season, create one character with an IC identifier in the name (ie: Squirt_IC, SquirtIC, ICSquirt, IC_Squirt)
  • No power leveling.
  • No use of death passives (Spirit Vessel, Unstable Anomaly, NDE, etc).
  • No use of Double Unity rings
  • Go as far as you can
  • No use of second life skills (Crusader: Akarrat's Champion with Prophecy rune)

• The idea here is pretty obvious. Make death feel like death again.

I feel like the Ironcore method fits best in the Season format, where you can pick a class and see how far you go. I'll be making one wizard on the 13th. If I die in a way that is very unsatisfying, I'll likely make a second one, but that's probably it.

Obviously, this is a self-imposed rule set. I don't expect anyone to play like this, nor do I look down on anyone for playing how they prefer to play. I posted this only because of the interest some people took when I touched on it before.

I'll be maintaining this thread as well as I can throughout the season to track the Ironcore heroes during Season 2. If you're interested in participating, just leave a comment with your status and I'll update this main thread.

\m/ Rock on \m/
    Ironecore Heroes:

- BobWitchDR -
    Class: Wizard :: Dead at level 9 ::
    Paragon Level: --
    Highest GRift: --
    Cause of Death: Stupidity (surrounded in a corner)

- Mayviir -
    Class: --
    Cause of Death: --

- Aldo -
    Class: Barbarian ::Dead at level 42::
    Cause of Death: Freezing exploding laser beams of death (and despair)

- Geology -
    Class: Demon Hunter

- alunsina -
    Class: Barbarian ::Dead::
    Paragon Level: 124
    Cause of Death: Molten bombs in a frozen wall of wtfbbqsauze

- dieftw -
    Class: Crusader

- KROM -
    Class: Barbarian

- Bogartan -
    Class: Crusader

- Proletariat -
    Class: Witch Doctor

- CyLaNt -

- Stubby -
    Class: Witch Doctor ::Dead at level 61::
    Cause of Death: Frozen spiders of freezing and spidering

- WhiteOwl -

- MetalJet666 -
    Class: Wizard ::Dead at level 31::
    Cause of Death: Trees, gophers and spear chucking goats!

- ngmiller689 -

- PorcNoStar -
    Class:

- Bloodshot -

- LordCaric -

- Stillday -

- Ira -

- Fooly -

- Namida -
    Class: Monk

- Blimpy -
    Class: -- ::Dead at level 30::
    Cause of Death: Maghda
    (reserved)
    •No power leveling.
    •Only level one class character at a time (no backup characters).
    •No use of Paragon points while leveling.
    •No use of death passives (Spirit Vessel, Unstable Anomaly, NDE, etc).
    •No use of Gem of Ease (Season 2 legendary gem).

I had an idea that would make this even more Ironcore...

Don't re-roll any affixes on the gear you find and use.
    Don't use RoRG, must complete gear sets naturally.
    Don't use Double Unity.
    02/04/2015 09:22 AMPosted by MetalJet666
    Don't use Double Unity.

That's interesting. Someone else metioned the idea of not using any followers either. For now, I'm passing on the follower thing only because they've existed in Diablo for so long. However, not having a follow kills the double unity thing, and I absolutely hate the double unity mechanic.

The RoRG idea is interesting as well. I'd like to see feedback from more people interested in Ironcore before deciding. I'm kind of game for it though. It would certainly change things up.

The re-rolling thing I'm less excited about. It would certainly make things harder, but it feels like a restriction that removes player decision, and there is already so little decision in this game.
    02/04/2015 09:27 AMPosted by BobWitchDR
    Don't use Double Unity.

That's interesting. Someone else metioned the idea of not using any followers either. For now, I'm passing on the follower thing only because they've existed in Diablo for so long. However, not having a follow kills the double unity thing, and I absolutely hate the double unity mechanic.

The RoRG idea is interesting as well. I'd like to see feedback from more people interested in Ironcore before deciding. I'm kind of game for it though. It would certainly change things up.

The re-rolling thing I'm less excited about. It would certainly make things harder, but it feels like a restriction that removes player decision, and there is already so little decision in this game.

Haha, yeah, I agree that not re-rolling affixes is a bit overkill! :)~
    02/04/2015 09:32 AMPosted by MetalJet666
    Haha, yeah, I agree that not re-rolling affixes is a bit overkill! :)~

Lol, totally... I was already getting a headache from the ring and ammy rolls :(
    I know, right!? How many times I got Ammys rolled like...

Cold Damage
    INT
    VIT
    IAS

or

INT
    VIT
    IAS
    SOCKET

Never what I really wanted.

Also, Fire SOJ... where are you?? :(
    Fire SoJ seems to be the most rare one of all, I looked at my 20+ SoJs last night as I was cleaning up and came up with only 2 Fire ones, one Dex and one Str, the majority were Physical probably 12+ and 1-2 Cold/Lighting.
    Good Stuff Bob and nice input Metal.

What struck me about reading your idea from before was the Idea of one "Ironcore" hero per season. basically once your dude/dudette got fragged that was the end of your "Ironcore" season. This is what I am going to try and do. Once I die I'll probably just resort back to freestyle.

Couple more thoughts:

Just to play devils advocate here, There really is not a choice involved, basically everyone is going to re-roll the same thing. Enchanting is kinda like yoga pants, A re-roll only makes a meh item serviceable, a serviceable item good, a good item great ect ect..... In vanilla when you found that perfect item it was extremely painful to lose it, and also gave your hero some character making do with what you found......A dagger wielding for a barbarian comes to mind.

lastly if this Idea take off I blame you when people start whining for an Ironcore "Mode"
    I play solo mostly and I wasn't thinking of playing Season 2. But I like this idea. I'm still not sure about the class though, will give it some thought.
    02/04/2015 10:54 AMPosted by Mayviir
    Just to play devils advocate here, There really is not a choice involved, basically everyone is going to re-roll the same thing. Enchanting is kinda like yoga pants, A re-roll only makes a meh item serviceable, a serviceable item good, a good item great ect ect..... In vanilla when you found that perfect item it was extremely painful to lose it, and also gave your hero some character making do with what you found......A dagger wielding for a barbarian comes to mind.

Yeah, true. No rerolling just feels a little too masochistic I guess.

02/04/2015 11:00 AMPosted by Aldo
    I play solo mostly and I wasn't thinking of playing Season 2. But I like this idea. I'm still not sure about the class though, will give it some thought.

Added :D
    After some thoughts I have a few questions for you BobWitchDr and then I'll make my decision on this.

1) Are we keeping this "forum" or do you plan to form a clan around Ironcore?
    2) Ancestor's Grace

3) I'd go no double unity personally... but that may just be my stubbornness,lol

I'll let you know Monday if I am in or out.... I need to think this over.

Edit: Dumb question. The final week would it be okay to suspend the rules if one wanted in order to run the death passive to attack the leaderboards, lol
    not bashing the idea here... but this reminds me exactly of how self-found started. it all started as self-imposed restrictions being advocated and a good way to be better in some way.

..and now we have BoA.

if you dont watch out blizz might get the wrong idea and nerf everyone.
    ..then again they already like to do that.
    02/04/2015 02:00 PMPosted by Proletariat
    1) Are we keeping this "forum" or do you plan to form a clan around Ironcore?

Gonna just run the forum for now. If this gets any real traction (I don't expect it to), I can look into creating a community. Or hell, someone else can if they want.

2) Ancestor's Grace

Meh. Use it. It's an item that you have to find and gets destroyed if you proc.

3) I'd go no double unity personally... but that may just be my stubbornness,lol

I'm leaning that way personally, but I'd like to see more input from others who are interested in this whole Ironcore thing.

Edit: Dumb question. The final week would it be okay to suspend the rules if one wanted in order to run the death passive to attack the leaderboards, lol

It's your character. I'm doing this for myself to add more entertainment to the game and sharing it for other people who may be interested. Nothing more. I'm hoping we all die before then anyway :)

02/04/2015 02:18 PMPosted by Morogoth
    not bashing the idea here... but this reminds me exactly of how self-found started. it all started as self-imposed restrictions being advocated and a good way to be better in some way.

..and now we have BoA.

if you dont watch out blizz might get the wrong idea and nerf everyone.
    ..then again they already like to do that.

Heh. I dunno. I think we're safe. $10 says Blizzard doesn't even know Hardcore exists.
    02/04/2015 03:18 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
    Heh. I dunno. I think we're safe. $10 says Blizzard doesn't even know Hardcore exists.

They find it once in awhile and then fire the community manager for viewing the hardcore forums =p
    Don't use Double Unity.

Followers are like geared up pets. Don't see why they should be banned for this particular kind of play. It could be discussed whether or not to use the Follower can't die item.
    Although no RoRG limits builds, I'm in for going full set.
    I also agree with not limiting re-rolling for the reasons stated above.
    This actually sounds real interesting. Its been a while since I've played and I was going to be getting back into Diablo once season 2 starts. This was pretty much my idea for how I wanted to play. The only thing I might do different is use a death passive. I was planning on using a crusader for my first run.
    Hey Bob, interesting idea. This might've already been asked but if it is

No: life saving passives

and

Yes: AC

then what about things like the FB bonus or the AC: prophet rune?

I don;t know if I will get to play much but the idea sounds intriguing
    02/04/2015 04:15 PMPosted by marmoset
    Hey Bob, interesting idea. This might've already been asked but if it is

No: life saving passives

and

Yes: AC

then what about things like the FB bonus or the AC: prophet rune?

I don;t know if I will get to play much but the idea sounds intriguing

I think for now, for the sake of things staying simple, just the no death passives. It's clean and easy to understand. If people can find other ways to cheat death without the use of death passives, go for it.