The Devs' Thoughts on Realm of Trials

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
02/11/2015 03:34 PMPosted by Vox
02/11/2015 02:58 PMPosted by OttO
Why not remove the gating from rifts and GRs all together? You can enter rifts any times.

My stash and IRL time constraints say:

OMG PLS DO THIS

You could use trials for another purpose/reward. Stick some bosses/elites in there. Stick some gobs in there. Let 6-8 players play in them. Lot's of room to use the trials for a better purpose!!!

We can't.......
4 players only......
I've tried 5 vanilla and 6 Ros....
so 6 Classes all different in One room...
1Monk
1DemonHunter
1Crusader
1Barb
1Wizard
1Witch Doctor.
That is never going to happen......Why Red why.....
What I was told is the game engine not strong enough....
We don't want D3 looking like WOW now do we........
Visually......it hurts my eyes.
So unless they change the Game engine and or mechanics of D3 with reduce affix from players......Crash course surgery!
Thx, the Angry Monk!

P.S and this is still a dream of mine....
02/11/2015 02:17 PMPosted by Tyvalir
At any rate, we agree the Realm of Trials is flawed, which is why the development team is looking at other options for how to structure Rifts and Greater Rifts.

I'm grateful that I had a chance to see the developers acknowledging the problem and sharing their opinions about the matter. I hope we get to see this happening more often for the better future for all of us.

I really appreciated it.
http://i.imgur.com/Sbbznvk.gif
However, this often led to them overshooting their mark and biting off more than they could chew difficulty-wise.

So what.

Quit baby-sitting your players, if they are getting their butt kicked have it so they can turn down the difficulty like normal rifts.
At any rate, we agree the Realm of Trials is flawed, which is why the development team is looking at other options for how to structure Rifts and Greater Rifts.

People have suggested making it so that you can choose the greater rift (grift) level based off the highest you completed, The counter to that that comes up is being carried by a strong party to a higher greater rift.
Well, make it so that it is based off EACH person's SOLO max greater rift level?

Once you get into a party, the max grift that the party can do is what the lowest grift of any player has achieved.

Complaint coming: I don't want to play solo..... Well, a grift at most to advance takes 15 minutes. Either live with that you have to play solo grift to set your bar higher, or just live with the "design flaw" that exists right now in the trials that you are complaining about......

+1 next time lead w/ this imho.
In America, Blizzard play you....

Wait.....
02/11/2015 04:15 PMPosted by giddeon

People have suggested making it so that you can choose the greater rift (grift) level based off the highest you completed, The counter to that that comes up is being carried by a strong party to a higher greater rift.
Well, make it so that it is based off EACH person's SOLO max greater rift level?

Once you get into a party, the max grift that the party can do is what the lowest grift of any player has achieved.

Complaint coming: I don't want to play solo..... Well, a grift at most to advance takes 15 minutes. Either live with that you have to play solo grift to set your bar higher, or just live with the "design flaw" that exists right now in the trials that you are complaining about......
It's not about not wanting to solo, it's that solo is highly unbalanced compared to party play. Some people may be able to carry their weight just fine in GR 50, but in solo they could struggle with low 40s. Solo vs party play should not be linked in this game because they're completely different.

A time limit would solve the issue of people cheesing GRs that they have no business doing for high level gems.
02/10/2015 12:13 PMPosted by zarquon
It was designed to be a convenience, because before Trials you started at Greater Rift level 1 and advanced from there every time. Trials were designed as a way to skip this process.

That's exactly right. When Greater Rifts were first added to the game, players were able to start at Greater Rift 1 and jump up in difficulty quickly. However, this often led to them overshooting their mark and biting off more than they could chew difficulty-wise.

Although Rifts of Trials were intended to solve this problem (by helping players gauge the best Greater Rift level for them more quickly), they ended up becoming tedious for many players. As Travis mentioned during yesterday's Tavern Talk, we agree with players that it's silly to have to go through the Realm of Trials each time you want to do a Greater Rift. After all, that's like having to "measure up" each time you go on the same ride at a theme park (versus only the first time), right?

Edit: The Twitch VOD for yesterday's Tavern Talk is [url="http://www.twitch.tv/diablo/b/623026202"]now available[/url]. You can hear where the developers talked about Rifts of Trials at around 1:14:12. Hope that helps!

I don't get what the hold up is. Let us select the GR level 1 above the highest we've completed on that character. Boom, done.
02/11/2015 02:53 PMPosted by Pereg
If you get rid of trials, players will just keep restarting the game at their highest difficulty until they get zombies.

So?

Who cares? Why does it matter if players fish? If they want to spend their time that way, let them.
02/11/2015 02:38 PMPosted by Morogoth
02/11/2015 02:36 PMPosted by huntermanz
just let us pick what level we want to go to.

i keep making that suggestion. maybe they will implement it.

That cannot happen due to the ppl will keep on fishing for pylon or easy mobs GR over and over and everyone will be laaging and stressing the servers.

Like it or not but trial must stay but improve in someway or rather.
Note: for the ppl that claiming the player base does not like Trial please understand that ppl come to this forum that does not like trial must be 20% or less of the whole ppl base.

e.g. i've been in 4 full clans and less than a handful dont even read or visit the forum let alone post anything because i'm certain if its the whole or most as some ppl claim Bliz would have remove Trial already lol
At high level, zombies are easy to corral and avoid damage and nuke them down altogether. Sand wasps for example are much tougher since they fly away, won't kite, all the while, you have to avoid moving targets (bees) that can kill you. Even if you could kite 25 sandwasps, it be nigh impossible to avoid that many bees! Why aren't those worth much more towards your progress bar per kill? You can't base the worth of a mob purely on HP.

Really good point!
02/11/2015 04:51 PMPosted by FireBlade
02/11/2015 02:38 PMPosted by Morogoth

i keep making that suggestion. maybe they will implement it.

That cannot happen due to the ppl will keep on fishing for pylon or easy mobs GR over and over and everyone will be laaging and stressing the servers.

Like it or not but trial must stay but improve in someway or rather.
Note: for the ppl that claiming the player base does not like Trial please understand that ppl come to this forum that does not like trial must be 20% or less of the whole ppl base.

e.g. i've been in 4 full clans and less than a handful dont even read or visit the forum let alone post anything because i'm certain if its the whole or most as some ppl claim Bliz would have remove Trial already lol

Uh people already do that. The top 10 on any leaderboard is a result of having a perfectly rolled map. Pylons should be removed from GRs anyways to have any real competition. Mobs also need to be balanced, but that's a completely separate issue.

The idea of this having any effect on server lag is laughable.

I'm not sure what clans you've been in but no one that does 40-50+ GRs on a regular basis likes to spend half their time in trials.
Here is a perfectly OKAY solution to Trials...

Do trials, get a stone that you complete, like normal, except that its a permanent stone... like if you get a GR 27, its a stone you can use over and over again... if you ever want a higher starting rift, you can reuse a trial stone, using your perma stone, and do it over... if you qualify for higher, your stone is upgraded.
However, this often led to them overshooting their mark and biting off more than they could chew difficulty-wise.

What exactly is the problem with that? So you got excited and went to high and got your !@# kicked. It's all cool, you simply lower the difficulty and gauge your own potential on your own.

It works for normal through torment levels. Why exactly is it suddenly needed to make this unnecessary test over and over again when trial and error works perfectly fine?
02/11/2015 05:25 PMPosted by Jakkal07
Here is a perfectly OKAY solution to Trials...

Do trials, get a stone that you complete, like normal, except that its a permanent stone... like if you get a GR 27, its a stone you can use over and over again... if you ever want a higher starting rift, you can reuse a trial stone, using your perma stone, and do it over... if you qualify for higher, your stone is upgraded.
Very simple and effective solution imo. If you do it once, you can do it again. No point in wasting time doing it over and over.
i love the trials for hardcore and I use trials to get the exact GRift level that I want for fastest runs to level legendary gems.

i can see how softies would not see it as a tool at all since you factor in deaths as part of the run and frequently do content you aren't supposed to.
02/11/2015 04:33 PMPosted by Lane
If you get rid of trials, players will just keep restarting the game at their highest difficulty until they get zombies.

So?

Who cares? Why does it matter if players fish? If they want to spend their time that way, let them.

Its a waste of time, a waste of resources. More convenience to player work-arounds leads to even less enjoyable play experience. Either design rifts to be nothing but zombies every time, or change how rifts are scored/timed so that players can work with the RNG.
I would probably be willing to trade the same amount of trial keys for the GR level I want. Ex. I want a level 42 GR it costs 42 trial keys. If I beat it I get a 43+ key or lose it and get gem upgrades.

I have 1k+ trial keys and I hate trials so much.