Inventory Management is Not Fun

General Discussion
And never has been. I understand that in some games inventory management is strategic, such as Resident Evil games. You have to be picky about what resources you take. That having been said, it is my least favorite part of almost all RPGs or games in which you mine or craft. Inventory limitations are useful for one thing, and one thing only in these sorts of games, and that's cutting down on the clutter that players eventually have to go through to see what they have picked up.

Of course, you could also simply give them tools to sort through the clutter. Let me quickly give an example of a better inventory system, this system is essentially made up from two different interfaces, the current stash, and the box of endless depth.

The big idea here is for the box of endless depth. This box can ONLY store legendary items, and ONLY one of each legendary item, but can store one of each item. Essentially, every time you get a legendary item, you can open this box, hover over a legendary in your inventory and it will immediately compare it to your existing legendary in the box with the usual comparison card. If you right click your legendary it will immediately place it in the box if you do not already have one of that item in there, if you do have a copy it will ask you if you want to swap them out.

Or, you can open the more in depth interface, this simply brings you to the old AH interface. Here you can search for legendaries by name, or by affixes/values as in the old AH. For example, looking for +%Lightning damage would pull up all gear with that affix.

Furthermore, all crafting materials would be stored here and immediately placed in this device when they are picked up, useable by any character in the same server mode (HC/Seasonal/Normal) without withdrawing them.

Of course there's also the regular stash where you can keep duplicates of legendaries (That second Odyn Son with Strength instead of Dex). This stash space could be cut down a bit. If the current issues of D3's system are having too many items in one game session (likely not the issue), then an unfortunate, but still much better, compromise would be to work it the same as the old AH, you have to leave the game in order to access your items in the box.

TL;DR
We like killing things, we like getting loot. We do not like playing Spring Cleaning Similator. The above solution is easily expandable and is necessary for player convenience if the game's itemization is ever to be expanded upon. (More interesting legendaries, more decent normal affixes, buffing old sets.)
I need one slot for each class type, that's all I NEED. I dont think it's a lot to ask for.

With each type having multiple sets and weapons for those sets, it's not unreasonable.
02/16/2015 04:01 PMPosted by MrWarglaive
I need one slot for each class type, that's all I NEED. I dont think it's a lot to ask for.

With each type having multiple sets and weapons for those sets, it's not unreasonable.

Currently. But assuming that blizzard ever works on itemization again, you may need more.
I've been thinking about this, too. What I think would work well would either be a stash-tab that's not shared between characters, or a new stash box on the ground. It wouldn't be the same as simply adding another tab because the space wouldn't be shared between your other characters. Each would have his or her own space for alternate gear, leveled gems, and such.
02/16/2015 09:17 PMPosted by Razorback
I've been thinking about this, too. What I think would work well would either be a stash-tab that's not shared between characters, or a new stash box on the ground. It wouldn't be the same as simply adding another tab because the space wouldn't be shared between your other characters. Each would have his or her own space for alternate gear, leveled gems, and such.

This would also be useful, but not a permanent solution.
I need a place to store all my useless items I'll never use.
You should go play WoW for a while, everything will be fine after you take a break.
What inventory management?

Farm, salvage, stash. That's all there's to it.
Whats wrong with some people, if you do not have inventory issue, (maybe you play only few characters or whatever reason), how does adding storage space affect you?

if someone has an idea, that may affect the gameplay for everyone, then there is a good case for an alternative/disapproval view, but this isn't one of them.

Its like people on internet that I seen often, makings statements which practically saying, "I do not care about something, so you shouldn't too"
Yes, I agree wtih OP. I don't see the harm in making this easier. Quality of life improvement, especially for us pack rats, plus having lots of mish mash gear lying around can only help to promote experimentation with builds.
The only issues anyone would have with management on inventory is because your to lazy to figure out how to do it right. So stop complaining theres nothing wrong with the inventory management.

The issue is you not the game.
Ya I guess OP is right, instead of playing spring clean simulator, he is trying to bring in Hoarder 2015 " keep all your items in one place but use very few of them"
02/19/2015 03:53 AMPosted by cstewart2008
Ya I guess OP is right, instead of playing spring clean simulator, he is trying to bring in Hoarder 2015 " keep all your items in one place but use very few of them"

This guy gets it. Let's put this in simple terms as some people seem to be getting confused.

What is cleaning/managing stash? It's a chore. It takes time, it gives no reward.

What is hoarding? It's tossing things in a box. This is simple, the game does the chore for you, and you never have to worry about salvaging an item that may be godly later. (Personally salvaged a TMF when the game first came out and all it did was literally make your dogs weaker).

Chore? Or ease? It's a video game, the answer is simple. It doesn't matter whether or not it's "necessary", though it's been proven empirically that it is in fact necessary over and over again. You always want anything in your game that isn't actually playing to be minimized.
02/18/2015 11:25 PMPosted by Tildeman
I need a place to store all my useless items I'll never use.

lol @ profile
The issue here is that it's not really subjective anymore. If you want to keep one of each piece of the sets, one of each weapon that can be useful, one of each leg with an actual unique affix, and then keep one of each with a different main stat, you will run out. It's not exactly like keeping a velvet camarel or whatever the wiz hat is is hoarding. With the new set, or with a tal's re-work, it may well be best in slot in 2.2, at least for some builds.
D3's inventory system is still infinitely better than D2's Tetris mode inventory management.
02/21/2015 08:36 PMPosted by SirDerp
D3's inventory system is still infinitely better than D2's Tetris mode inventory management.

adria, atma. Why do you keep mentioning d2 on d3 forums.
I just spent 3 hours that I could have been playing sorting out the stash in my mules. This ridiculous inventory problem is driving me crazy!

1. This game needs more universal stash space.

2. This game needs a unified account inventory function.

3. This game needs a dedicated stash chest for each character.

The Sell tab of the auction house could provide a central location to view inventory on all characters.

This function could be added to the Character Profile.

There is room to place an Inventory button and a Stash button on the left pane, below the "Heroes" list. The Inventory button would allow access to the inventory of the selected hero, while the Stash button would allow access to the account stash.

Additionally, Inventory and Stash should be able to be open at the same time, allowing items to be dragged from one to the other.

This would prevent having to create as many as a 16 games in order to find one item and move it to a different character. Or 30 (or more, so far) games to sort and categorize inventory for future use.

In the absence of the auction house, the developers need to provide this functionality.

I am very disappointed to see no inventory control modifications to the 2.1.2 UI.

This game needs a unified account inventory function.

Steve Austin
02/18/2015 09:31 PMPosted by Guybrush
02/16/2015 09:17 PMPosted by Razorback

This would also be useful, but not a permanent solution.

The hell it wouldn't be!

If there was another chest on the ground, the exact same size as the one we have now, dedicated to the current character, that would solve all stash problems forever.

As so managing that stash, see:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16352885546?page=1#19

02/18/2015 11:31 PMPosted by Wheatley
I'm sure they will be more than happy to sell you more stash space when/if the next expansion comes around.

For $40 of course. We can't give QoL things out willy-nilly here in Activisionland.

And I would happily pay.

Steve Austin