How will CASC benefit us?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
02/19/2015 02:49 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
02/19/2015 02:46 PMPosted by Telliks
That in no way insults any specific person

I never said anything about insulting a person.

Statements don't have feelings. You can't insult a statement. So what did you mean?
02/19/2015 05:11 PMPosted by TheTias

I cannot stress this enough however: If you have gotten used to clicking Play before the download and patching is complete, get unused to that. CASC will corrupt itself very easily if you do not wait for the game to finish downloading, which will force a full reinstall. Patience is definitely your best ally here. So when the PTR comes along, let the Battle.net App do its thing and go make a sammich or something. Just don't click Play until that progress bar is gone!

[/quote]

So much for the benefit where it is less prone to corruption.
02/19/2015 02:37 PMPosted by DeadRu

What a foolish statement. Blizzard has used MPQ for over a decade.

File Type Blizzard Mo'PaQ File

Developer Blizzard Entertainment
Category Game Files

File Format Description
Game data format used by Blizzard Entertainment video games; contains level data, graphics, videos, and audio for a specific Blizzard game; can be compressed, encrypted, or segmented into multiple files.

.MPQ, which is short for MoPaQ or Mike O'Brien Pack. Mike O'Brien is one of the founders and current president of ArenaNet. Just because it is used by Blizzard does not mean they created it (or own the rights to it).

I think they are doing it for three reasons:

• ArenaNet.
  • The reasons they listed.
  • To prevent extraction of game files. You can get the game soundtracks (which they sell separately) and a variety of other assets.
  • 02/19/2015 04:53 PMPosted by Halcyon
    Does this new file format remove the limitations that bblizzard "has" that keeps them from adding more stash space or character slots?

There are no front end limitations to this, this is something that they would add to the servers hosting the game data. If everyone had more stash space and character slots then they would need more data storage. The data that is being stored is most likely a SQL DB not an MPQ.
    so more lags and freeze because more cpu usage
    02/19/2015 05:17 PMPosted by Mochan
    So much for the benefit where it is less prone to corruption.

Once installed it's pretty resilient, but you need to let it install first. The thing I've been asking for most with the QA staff is to not allow playing the game until patching is completed to avoid that particular issue. Outside of that corruption can happen on any file in any OS - that's a risk everybody faces on all computers.

02/19/2015 05:29 PMPosted by DrWildi
    so more lags and freeze because more cpu usage

CPU usage during games does not increase. Only during patching, which is when you should not be playing anyway.
    2. Protect the innocent.
    3. Uphold the law.
    4. Smash, Jay, Smash!
    wow you idiots will argue over anything.
    02/19/2015 05:11 PMPosted by DeadRu
    02/19/2015 02:42 PMPosted by BobWitchDR

Have you ever made a post without using an insult?

Well I called it as I saw it. A foolish statement. it is. I don't see that as harsh as many things people say in th1s forum. I stand by my post because I look facts up before I post.

However if I made an insulting post about Blizzard I feel you would accept that.

I'll take that as a no.
    02/19/2015 01:39 PMPosted by DogBone
    Is it possible to give examples of benefits besides "bad installs"?
    What "technical limitations" does it over come?
    What type of things will now be "hot patchable" that weren't previously?

In our preview blog for the patch 2.2.0 PTR, we mentioned some of the benefits of switching Diablo III over to the CASC file system. For those of you who geek out about file systems as much as you do about games, here are a few others:

• It allows the game client to finds assets more quickly due to its non-redundant file structure, improving real-world game performance

• It means patches no longer require double the installation size on-disk when patching (one of the drawbacks of the old file system)

• It lets us easily integrate new technologies for patching as we develop them

While I don't have a specific list of the kinds of data that can be “hot patched,” the main takeaway should be that adopting this file system will ideally lead to a better, more seamless experience - both when the game client is being patched and while you play the game. It can also give us the opportunity to implement some changes more quickly than in the past.
    02/19/2015 05:12 PMPosted by Mochan
    02/19/2015 02:49 PMPosted by BobWitchDR

I never said anything about insulting a person.

Statements don't have feelings. You can't insult a statement. So what did you mean?

You're not using the word correctly. It has nothing to do with "feelings."

insult

v.verb

To treat with gross insensitivity, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness.

To affront or demean.

an absurd speech that insulted the intelligence of the audience.

To make an attack on.

To behave arrogantly.
    <span class="truncated">...</span>

Have you ever made a post without using an insult?

He said the statement was foolish.

That in no way insults any specific person.

Personal Attack ≠ Insult.

Well, someone obviously took my words STRAIGHT away wrong. Right, so what I meant was that an insult isn't necessarily a Personal Attack. I can laugh at your ugly car, it has no feelings and it's not a person hence not a personal attack, but it's still an insult to the owner.

Sometimes, this forum...
    No background downloading .... big bummer.
    02/19/2015 05:51 PMPosted by Tyvalir

In our preview blog for the patch 2.2.0 PTR, we mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/17989719/first-look-patch-220-2-19-2015#quality"]some of the benefits[/url] of switching Diablo III over to the CASC file system. For those of you who geek out about file systems as much as you do about games, here are a few others:

• It allows the game client to finds assets more quickly due to its non-redundant file structure, improving real-world game performance

• It means patches no longer require double the installation size on-disk when patching (one of the drawbacks of the old file system)

While I don't have a specific list of the kinds of data that can be “hot patched,” the main takeaway should be that adopting this file system will ideally lead to a better, more seamless experience - both when the game client is being patched and while you play the game. It can also give us the opportunity to implement some changes more quickly than in the past.

64bit, please!
    02/19/2015 05:23 PMPosted by DeathTBO
    .MPQ, which is short for MoPaQ or Mike O'Brien Pack. Mike O'Brien is one of the founders and current president of ArenaNet. Just because it is used by Blizzard does not mean they created it (or own the rights to it).

Just to let you know, Mike O'Brien designed and created the MPQ archive when he was working as a lead programmer for Blizzard.

So technically, Blizzard did create it and they do own it (unless there's some legal IP stuff between O'Brien and Blizzard that lets him own it instead).

In our preview blog for the patch 2.2.0 PTR, we mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/17989719/first-look-patch-220-2-19-2015#quality"]some of the benefits[/url] of switching Diablo III over to the CASC file system. For those of you who geek out about file systems as much as you do about games, here are a few others:

sounds good. especially the in game performance part due to the client being able to find assets faster.

i also like the "easily integrate new technologies" part.
    02/19/2015 02:44 PMPosted by MissCheetah
    They converted WoW with the last expansion and the new games already run on it. Not really a big deal for most people.

- So smaller patches that use less bandwidth to download are not really a big deal for most people?
    - So more frequent and better hot fixes including client side hot fixes are not really a big deal for most people?
    - So more hotfixes to patch out exploits are not really a big deal for most people?
    - So a more stable gaming experience is not really a big deal for most people?
    - So an easier time to code the patches in by Blizzard so we can have our feedback playable sooner in the PTR patches is not really a big deal for most people?

You can not be serious if you think this is not really a big deal for most people. This is a massive deal do us all.
    It allows the game client to finds assets more quickly due to its non-redundant file structure, improving real-world game performance

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but does this have anything at all to do with some notoriously underperforming areas of the game, such as Rakkis Crossing and The Cesspools? I'm curious because no matter if the game runs smoothly everywhere else, those two areas are a real pain in the !@# due to really poor performance. I ask this because I've read these performance drops may happen due to some hard disk limitations (hence SSDs being often suggested to improve performance).

When can we get arena based PvP?
    02/19/2015 07:23 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
    It allows the game client to finds assets more quickly due to its non-redundant file structure, improving real-world game performance

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but does this have anything at all to do with some notoriously underperforming areas of the game, such as Rakkis Crossing and The Cesspools? I'm curious because no matter if the game runs smoothly everywhere else, those two areas are a real pain in the !@# due to really poor performance. I ask this because I've read these performance drops may happen due to some hard disk limitations (hence SSDs being often suggested to improve performance).

Unrelated to file read times and transfer bandwith only the loading screen times are effected by SSD.
    02/19/2015 07:23 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
    Lower your sound channels to 16. It clears up those areas dramatically.

Will it finally get rid of the performance drops in certain areas like the infamous Rakkis Crossing due to how horrible the sound engine is loaded on demand there? We all know zones like Rakkis Crossing to Arreats Crater to the Act V Sewers, even when as a rift, cripples your FPS as long as you do not disable Sound using Alt+S. Will we finally be able to play the game at anything higher than Low Sound Channels?