Patch 2.2.0 Features and Data Mining

Blizzard Archive
1 2 3 41 Next
Development for patch 2.2.0 has been underway for some time and we'll be launching the PTR shortly. We've got great quality of life changes and new content coming in our next patch, and we'll have even more details to share in the near future.

In the meantime, some new features may start to show up in data mined information for patch 2.2.0 that will not apply to all regions. Specifically, the following features will not apply to the Americas:

• A new currency called "Platinum"
  • Timed experience boosts
  • New cosmetic items including wings, non-combat pets, and character portraits
  • References to stash space and character slot expansions
  • A new UI interface that references the above information

While the above features will not apply to this region, players will still benefit from some of the quality of life perks tied to these additions, such as a streamlined UI for selecting cosmetic benefits like pets and Collector's Edition wings.

We recognize that many players have expressed an interest in microtransactions being added to Diablo III. While we may explore this model in some regions, we have no immediate plans to implement such purchases or the aforementioned features anytime soon for the Americas region.
please explain what you mean when you say "While the above features will not apply to this region"
Edit: TL;DR for this thread:
  • Microtransactions are only being implemented in China.
  • China operates on their own version of Battle.net and Reaper of Souls is not going to see a retail release there.
  • Instead players can purchase it from the Cash Shop using platinum. They can buy RoS all in one shot through a "premium package", or they buy it piece meal (stash tabs, char slots, adventure mode, Crusader Class, etc).
  • There is no proof that China will have more stash tabs or character slots than the rest of the world currently has access to.

Original post:
02/20/2015 07:08 AMPosted by pantherdane
please explain what you mean when you say "While the above features will not apply to this region"

We recognize that many players have expressed an interest in microtransactions being added to Diablo III. While we may explore this model in some regions, we have no immediate plans to implement such purchases anytime soon for the Americas region.

Platinum will be purchasable using real world money, can probably buy you all the things listed, but there are no plans to introduce microtransactions in the Americas yet.

Edit: Monetizing stash space, char slots, and timed exp boosts makes me sad. Just my opinion on the matter.
Highly Rated
Played D3 since vanilla saw how destructive micro transactions are, it's essentially a pay to win much like the free 2 play model.

If you ever implement it, it means that you learn nothing from your past mistakes, and I swear this time I will not give this company another chance and buy any of it's products ever again.
basically the new UI for cosmetic options is going to be put in place for their eventual plan to sell us cosmetics and transmogs. Was wondering how you were going to pay for all this new content lol
02/20/2015 07:34 AMPosted by Vanguardian
basically the new UI for cosmetic options is going to be put in place for their eventual plan to sell us cosmetics and transmogs. Was wondering how you were going to pay for all this new content lol

Hopefully its something they are only introducing into markets that are fonder of microtransactions.

The reception of the RMAH made it pretty clear that the Americas region was not a big fan.
Please, take a look at this post, made an hour ago on EU Diablo 3 website.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13686810330#1

Development for patch 2.2.0 has been underway for some time and we'll be launching the PTR shortly. We've got great quality of life changes and new content coming in our next patch, and we'll have even more details to share in the near future.

In the meantime, some new features may start to show up in data mined information for patch 2.2.0 that will not apply to all regions. Specifically, the following features will not apply to the European region:

A new currency called "Platinum"
Timed experience boosts
New cosmetic items including wings, non-combat pets, and character portraits
References to stash space and character slot expansions
A new UI interface that references the above information

While the above features will not apply to this region, players will still benefit from some of the quality of life perks tied to these additions, such as a streamlined UI for selecting cosmetic benefits like pets and Collector's Edition wings.

We recognize that many players have expressed an interest in microtransactions being added to Diablo III. While we may explore this model in some regions, we have no immediate plans to implement such purchases anytime soon for the European region.

So, these features wont be available in Americas region, nor European region. Im confused. Let me guess which region is going to get it...
Highly Rated
02/20/2015 07:46 AMPosted by Northwind
So, these features wont be available in Americas region, nor European region. Im confused. Let me guess which region is going to get it...

Probably china. And they're likely adding these features since all those collector's edition/preorder cosmetic items were never available since they never had an official launch there.

Same goes for the stash space/extra character slots that came in with RoS expanding from 10 in vanilla to 12/15 depending on your game version.
The sense this makes is none.
"Freemium" games are a cash cow for companies implementing it properly. Not an apple for apple comparison but look at Clash of Clans. Look where Hearthstone is at with it's purchase features as well as Heroes of the Storm.

Shareholders are the #1 Customer in any company, not the fans playing the game - fans are up there but close 2nd.

I've been in this business for 20 years and have seen the evolution. Blizzard has a model to perfectly sustain more income from D3 even if ONLY 25% of its current active user base pays to play; they stand a great chance to make additional cash flow from this franchise where even if they had a subscription based service, it would not even mirror the return they will get for pay to rise above everyone else.

Are they wrong for it? If yes, then there's hundreds of freemium games out there who are also wrong... Everquest Next will have a free play and Pay to Play as well so their business model is not naive to the current trends of people spending boatloads of cash to stand out.

Does it suck? Absolutely... Coming from days of Ultima I to IV and beyond, it's the human evolution of gaming which is shameful in my opinion. I just pray "normal" shrink wrapped games still exist in the future so I can still enjoy my gaming years without refinancing my home to play **equally**.
02/19/2015 05:39 PMPosted by Nevalistis
We recognize that many players have expressed an interest in microtransactions being added to Diablo III. While we may explore this model in some regions, we have no immediate plans to implement such purchases anytime soon for the Americas region.

see now this is a major problem for me. micro transactions are great for a F2P game like marvel heroes and POE. but for a B2P game it honestly is just not ok. even if the game goes F2P once features such as this go live, that is a big middle finger to those of us who paid money for your games in the first place and actually supported the game/company.

if this does come to be there better be some bonuses for those of us who paid money for the game in the first place.
Highly Rated
Open those wallets, folks. 20 million copies sold wasn't enough. It's never enough.
you gotta be joking
I am strongly against microtransactions. I wouldn't mind if they were purely cosmetic. I really don't want to pull an "but in that game we didn't have to pay for it" regarding stash space, but i won't be dragged into that.

If you want big bucks, you might want to reinstate trade, in selected countries where legal matters do not arise over Blizzard's profit (i.e. government won't be asking you for financial details and force action upon you as corporation). That, however, will split your community and bring even more rage against it. I'd rather have Diablo as a mmo, as long as you don't end up like that mmo where everything could be bought for money (i won't name it, but i'm sure your geeks can find it out easy).

A few quick questions :
1) What happens to DVDs we bought as physical copies that used MPQs ? Should we just throw them away since with this CASC FS it's faster to download than to install from optical drive, then have to convert and wait even more to install the game ?

2) What exactly is "References to stash space and character slot expansions" ?

3) Character portraits..ingame or forum ?
The post from people in the regions not affected by the micro-transactions and their currency are the reasons why that region is not affected by the micro-transactions. They have even said "We know people in the Americas don't like P2W/Micro-transactions, but we still have bosses and they want us to test it in other regions" meaning, you probably won't see it if it isn't profitable there, even if is, if it does well enough outside of America, they might keep it outside of America. Blizzard makes games for the world, and not everyone in the world is as against free to play/pay to win as America is (see: World of Tanks)...
This is awesome as long as you can't buy gear or competitive advantages. This will support continued development of the game. I'm excited.

"No plans at this time" means they're testing it overseas first and then it'll come here. It's a done deal I think.
I hope in comes to americas, I would pay 5 bucks for tab(s) and would pay more for cosmetics.

being an owner of the D3 collectors and ros collectors.
This should come to US/EU. EXCEPT for XP boosts. And no other actual power boosts.
Cosmetics are fine. New character slots and inventory bags are fine.
02/19/2015 05:39 PMPosted by Nevalistis
A new currency called "Platinum"
Timed experience boosts
New cosmetic items including wings, non-combat pets, and character portraits
References to stash space and character slot expansions
A new UI interface that references the above information

Do we see light at the of the tunnel?
Can we finally get/buy more stash space, character slots?
Any plans on removing the trial system, Nevalistis?