What if Valve bought Diablo 3?

Games & Technology
I was playing CSGO and heard some people talk about how Valve should buy out Blizzard.
02/22/2015 05:13 AMPosted by LoiHuynh
I was playing CSGO and heard some people talk about how Valve should buy out Blizzard.

I'd vote for it, Valve is a company with values, pays employees well and is known for having a great work atmosphere in the industry. All of this also reflects in the work they do.

Blizzard has none of that and simply raises prizes every year to deliver less features.
we would have ALOT of hat transmogs lol
CS 1.6 > Cs:s > CS:GO........

hmmm... valve can make games worse too ^^
Blizzard
Activision
Valve

BAV

Actiblav
BlackTValve
Zardactylv
Well it probably would be a challenge for Valve to work on a new genre. They pretty much only develop FPS games.. apart from Dota2 I can't think of another title outside of FPS that they have worked on.
valve that killed tf2? no new content for more than a year for dota and tf2, made a new p2w game mode, pump out cosmetics weekly but no new content for game, valve?

i think blizzard is fine as is now at least we have expansions, patches that have content it in.
valve has become garbage lately and kind of a monopoly on digital download pc market.
02/22/2015 05:51 AMPosted by kumat2000
valve that killed tf2? no new content for more than a year for dota and tf2, made a new p2w game mode, pump out cosmetics weekly but no new content for game, valve?

good games don't need new content every couple months/years.....
02/22/2015 05:40 AMPosted by Alukat

you mean the csgo that is only gaining popularity month by month and has become one of the premier e-sports titles?
02/22/2015 05:44 AMPosted by KrOmander
Well it probably would be a challenge for Valve to work on a new genre. They pretty much only develop FPS games.. apart from Dota2 I can't think of another title outside of FPS that they have worked on.

And in regards to DoTa that had it's base in a Blizzard game. valve runs steam because they can't develop anything current.
I'd leave the game because they would simply trash it for the cash grab.
02/22/2015 05:31 AMPosted by zhiguang
we would have ALOT of hat transmogs lol

Looks like someone beat me to it. Lol.

"Attention Diablo 3 fans. We, Valve, have purchased Diablo 3 from Blizzard. As a result of this transaction, we decided to celebrate with some hats. In a future patch, you will be able to pay $1.49 for more hats. These hats don't have any effect on the actual gameplay, they just make you look cool. In fact, we heard you like hats so much, we decided to give you a hat that was 3 hats in one. In fact, in the future, we won't alter the gameplay, nerf or buff items or classes, or release new content. Instead, we will give you more hats. That is all, please goo back to your killing of any monsters without hats."

you mean the csgo that is only gaining popularity month by month and has become one of the premier e-sports titles?

Ya for first person shooters. not to mention it uses no new technology. That is all they can do, They have the Steam life support system to generate the money
People play it because the money is there. Go for it see how much YOU can make.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched 14 years ago. CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.).

Evan Lahti from PC Gamer noted that the majority of new official maps in Global Offensive were only for Arms Race or Demolition game modes; while Classic maps were only given "smart adjustments" to minor details.

GameSpy's Mike Sharkey pointed out that the game provides very little in the way of new content; and that the Elo rating system seems ineffective, what "with so many new players of various skill levels logging on for the first time this week".

Destructoid gave the game a very positive review, awarding it 9.5/10, saying that it "delivers on the promise of a faithful, polished, and better looking Counter-Strike for anyone who wants it."
If Valve bought Blizzard, we'd never have a 3rd installment of anything.
Where is my Half Life 3, Gaben?
02/22/2015 06:41 AMPosted by Selkies

i doubt that csgo is that popular....... It's more like:

people are thinking that everyone else will move to csgo and by this 1.6 will be "dead", so they started to move to csgo even if cs 1.6 is would still be very crowded....... so the expectation about other players actions, even if the expectations are false, made them move to csgo and by this caused the "dead" of 1.6...... quiet a self-fulfilling prophercy

so false expectations made csgo more crowded as cs 1.6, so csgo being more crowded than 1.6 doesn't mean that csgo is more popular......
Valve can't buy Acti-blizzard even if they wanted to.
On the other hand, Acti-blizzard could defo buy valve.
Jay Wilson working on Half-life 3 confirmed
02/22/2015 08:31 AMPosted by HolyDiver
Valve can't buy Acti-blizzard even if they wanted to.
On the other hand, Acti-blizzard could defo buy valve.

I think you're severely underestimating the value of steam.

That said, notice that all Valve tiles have/allow some level of modding. You don't have to be online to play DotA's custom modes for example. Most of their games rely heavily on MP, pretty much require it, but you can play it offline, and there are a fair number of mods.

Essentially we'd have an offline mode that allows modding, and billions of hats.
02/22/2015 05:13 AMPosted by LoiHuynh

What an interesting idea. The Activision and Blizzard sides of ATVI sure haven't shown signs of ever integrating into a more cohesive whole, so it could be worth it for Activision to spin Blizzard off into a separate entity of some kind, and Blizzard would probably fit better with Valve than they do with Activision. The biggest stumbling block might be the asking price -- Valve would have to be willing to absorb a huge chunk of the $4+ billion that was Vivendi's legacy to ATVI. I don't think it would anything for Blizzard's existing titles, especially in the short term, but it might be interesting to see how Blizzard behaved if they were once again part of a privately-held company, rather than a publicly-traded one.
02/22/2015 05:51 AMPosted by kumat2000

i think blizzard is fine as is now at least we have expansions, patches that have content it in.
valve has become garbage lately and kind of a monopoly on digital download pc market.

Yes after about 7 years of yearly new content, content created by players (who also got paid for that) and of course hats (TF2).

Honestly, I paid $50 bucks for the OB and got thousands of hours of play out of TF2 and more free content than any other game.

I doubt VALVe could do worse at D3 than Blizzard. One reason is that they are a privately owned company where Blizzard is part of Activision and is public. They (Activision) are in it purely for the profit, while some of the devs might want to make the game better but their say doesn't matter. That is why VALVe takes longer for patches, content and games to release compared to say a new COD every freaking year.

I also find it funny that you are complaining about no new free content for a game that is now free and one that was launched as free. Guess you can't satisfy everyone.
02/22/2015 07:11 AMPosted by DeadRu

Ya for first person shooters. not to mention it uses no new technology. That is all they can do, They have the Steam life support system to generate the money
People play it because the money is there. Go for it see how much YOU can make.

it is a premier competition e-sport. How much 'new content' has been added to a soccer pitch? Pretty much None. Just new players with new strategies. Though field construction and leveling and drainage has improved, you wont see them add an area behind the goal or a pool of water in the middle . Consistency of rules and playing field are the prime enablers of high level competition. Not surprise twists and 'new content'

Though I wouldn't expect the fans of blizzard to understand it, I did see the progression of wow arena afterall.