Stash space. The struggle is real.

Items and Crafting
1 2 3 15 Next
Highly Rated
There isn't enough stash space to collect even 2/3ds of the legendaries for one armor class - and within those 2/3ds it's only possible to actually keep one version of each item (as in, no variants with other elemental schools or different stat rolls for example).

Yes, I've done the maths on that.

Basically, a very active player finding lots of stuff can pretty much forget about playing another armor class actively. This is not about hoarding - of course players should be able to keep at least 1 version of each decent legendary (salvaging legendaries without legendary powers). Even if you keep only one version of the more uncommon items and the sets for one class, you'll still find yourself in a lot of trouble eventually. Anyone who play this game above average actively can testify to that.

Very active players are in essence being asked to destroy their sets and their hard-earned treasure if they want to give it a go with another armor class. Some items are rare enough that finding a good version of it can take hundreds of hours of playtime. - And while the sets are abundant enough on a baseline level, obtaining those good Ancient ones can also be a major time investment.

Diablo III is being fronted as "an item hunt game", but you don't get to keep your items, even after having worked for it for literally thousands of hours in many cases!

Mules should not be necessary. Those character slots should be reserved for playable characters! - There are 6 classes and 12 character slots - that's 6 for Softcore and 6 for Hardcore. - And what about seasons on top of that?

Saying that this is just about "hoarding" unnecessary stuff is quite simply wrong. This is about being able to play the game to its full potential or not! - Very active players know exactly what to keep and what to discard. - And really though, shouldn't we be allowed to "hoard" the rarest items, those 95% perfect rolls, the kind of stuff that we really can't expect to find again any time soon - or ever again for that matter?

We worked for it. - If you're concerned that newer players might get overwhelmed, well, that's certainly a valid concern - but surely one could imagine various measures to counteract that scenario, including in game systems that make obtaining additional stash tabs an increasingly difficult task by various means.

We've discussed the how and the why and the what many times over and there's no shortage of player ideas, including obtaining additional stash tabs by paying a lot of gold for it (a gold sink), having it as sort of a new meta game with (difficult) tasks that you need to perform, a "void storage" system à la the WoW in-game solution where you have an economic incentive to really only keep the best items, and of course the ability to purchase tabs for "real gold". Those are just a few examples and if I know Blizzard right, they always have a surprisingly good solution for just about anything. Question is, is there a will to recognize that something needs to be done?

I have to give you guys credit for the Kanai's Cube introduced with Patch 2.3 at this point. - That does help a bit but it isn't a complete solution - sure, you now have the ability to "save" those legendary powers, and that in itself helps reduce the pressure a little bit. - That's the kind of surprising, yet effective solution we're used to seeing from your side. Still, in the grand scheme of things it's little more than a band-aid. It's appreciated, but I think you know as well as we do that we've got a long way to go yet.

This impacts the most active players more than anything - those who love D3 and have adopted it as "their game". Surely D3's most loyal fanbase needen't be left on the sideline with regards to such a basic issue? - You're good at what you do and there's a plethora of reasons why we keep playing this game. In some areas though, many of us feel that you're a little bit out of touch with the players and the issue of stash space is not going away. Please consider solutions. Thanks.

- - -

Updated 17/10/2015.
02/19/2015 11:10 PMPosted by bjornh
This is not about hoarding

Yeah it is.
There is almost no reason to keep all the legendary items that drops, only keep the extra rare drops like shard of hate, most items that have no use to me just gets broken down to mats. "space saved"
I am spending more time in stash than actually playing the game.
Lost my fire str SOJ yesterday. Took me 1 hour to scan through all 12 characters to find it... in Stash :(
Shrug.
Just yesterday I was at Costco and there was no one there to put my stuff in boxes. So I decided to help out, needless to say my experience with mule herding and playing stash Tetris allowed me to pack my groceries well enough to get a compliment from the cashier that I seemed to have a lot of experience with efficient space use.
02/19/2015 11:17 PMPosted by HappyPants
Yeah it is.

Paragon 313. I am sorry, but you couldn't possibly know the reasons why there is a need for more stash space - you simply haven't reached the point where it would become a problem. In 99% of the cases it's those people who say "stop hoarding". I have to call you out on it because it's simply nonsense.

02/19/2015 11:18 PMPosted by Spartan112
There is almost no reason to keep all the legendary items that drops, only keep the extra rare drops like shard of hate, most items that have no use to me just gets broken down to mats. "space saved"

Nonsense. And there is NO REASON why players shouldn't be able to keep 1 version of each useful legendary. Whatever you or others are able to cough up as an argument against it, there's simply no reason why that shouldn't be allowed.

When you know all the items in the game, know their roll ranges, know their rarities, you learn to appreciate what to keep and what to throw away. Of course you should be able to keep the best versions of an item - and nuke everything else.

Right now, that's simply not allowed - not even for one armor class.

And THAT is completely ridiculous.
More stash space.
theres more then enough stash space.
with just 6 chars you can keep 5,38 full itemsets and thats not taking mules into account
Do I need to keep 100 zunimassa's armor? No... stop hoarding
Even only keeping the 'best' version of an item, you can still fill up 15 chars and stash pretty damn quick.

To those that say 'salvage anything you're not actively using, drops are easy lawl stop hoarding'

Well... bully for you that the drop gods seem to bow at your altar, you truly are blessed if 'keeper' items drop for you so routinely that you've become jaded to the idea of loot. To you I say go buy a lottery ticket.

Some of us, don't have that epic drop rate. We can pub t6 run all day long with the rest of you, everyone else in 10 rifts, easily gets 10-20 drops, I get 2, if I'm lucky, and remembered to sacrifice both the goat AND the chicken that morning.

So yes, I tend to hold on to some things I probably should salvage, why? Because they're the only effing things that drop for me and I'd like to shuffle some gear to another toon to play at SOME point. I play ALL classes, not just one. I need mo space!!!
02/20/2015 03:58 AMPosted by Confector
Even only keeping the 'best' version of an item, you can still fill up 15 chars and stash pretty damn quick.

To those that say 'salvage anything you're not actively using, drops are easy lawl stop hoarding'

Well... bully for you that the drop gods seem to bow at your altar, you truly are blessed if 'keeper' items drop for you so routinely that you've become jaded to the idea of loot. To you I say go buy a lottery ticket.

Some of us, don't have that epic drop rate. We can pub t6 run all day long with the rest of you, everyone else in 10 rifts, easily gets 10-20 drops, I get 2, if I'm lucky, and remembered to sacrifice both the goat AND the chicken that morning.

So yes, I tend to hold on to some things I probably should salvage, why? Because they're the only effing things that drop for me and I'd like to shuffle some gear to another toon to play at SOME point. I play ALL classes, not just one. I need mo space!!!

I play any class.... and hardcore and I don't hoard items... I still have back up items... no problems stop hoarding
it's not about hoarding. how many times have a patch or some other change been made where suddenly that legendary you never used is suddenly worth using, or an alternative build is now much stronger than previously oh but damn you scrapped those cool legendaries that would've worked for that build because you don't have space for them. it's not uncommon, or hey maybe god forbid you want to have the option to run a different build in the future just because you can.

To people who are continuously saying "stop hoarding" seriously, what does it hurt if people want to hang onto things? If you can give me a legitimate reason why hanging onto things is a negative (other than blizzard is just too lazy to add additional storage space) please enlighten me.

Right now for those of us that have 1 or more of each class at max level stash space is at a premium, and we end up spending a significant amount of time playing spring cleaning simulator... I don't know about you, but I would rather have a stash overflowing with useless !@#$ that will just sit around, than have to waste time doing inventory management. They should've taken note from wow, it's why 90% of people run a mod to make it so they can essentially ignore this tedious step of "spring cleaning". but we don't have that option in diablo.

Also since the talk is always about build diversity, and options etc, if you play more than 1 character, good luck hanging onto alternative build items.

lol @babymaker, troll with only a level 2hardcore char and nothing else, yeah i'm sure you don't have a problem with stash space...
Another hoarding thread.
says the guy with a couple 60's, and 68 paragon. Of course you don't have a problem with overflowing stash.
02/19/2015 11:17 PMPosted by HappyPants

Yeah it is.
Why are there so many people against changes like more stash space?? Obviously there are some people that like to collect items and are running low on space, there are some other people that play only one class and salvage almost everything unless it's a direct upgrade.

Guess what, if blizz gave us more space, you can choose [u][/u] if you want to use it or not.
i had to delete a bunch of items i didnt want to delete last past to make space, now i NEED those items...fix the stash space issue plz blizzard.
02/20/2015 04:18 AMPosted by !@#$%sword
it's not about hoarding. how many times have a patch or some other change been made where suddenly that legendary you never used is suddenly worth using, or an alternative build is now much stronger than previously oh but damn you scrapped those cool legendaries that would've worked for that build because you don't have space for them. it's not uncommon, or hey maybe god forbid you want to have the option to run a different build in the future just because you can.

You know they don't change affixes on items that you already had correct? Just making sure...You seem the type to not be able to fully read and comprehend things.
"Your paragon level isn't high enough for this topic."

Heh. That's cute. I guess my meager paragon level of 313 isn't high enough to have the sense to know that if you have a limited amount of space for storage, don't use those valuable spaces for holding non-valuable, sub-par items. Silly me.

I was thinking why people who play World or Warcraft don't have this issue with storage space despite all the expansions and the number of players. But oh. That's right. Those people pay $15 a month to have pretty much all the storage they want provided they have the gold, with void storage. A small sum of that $15 goes towards the upkeep of their servers, and allows Blizzard to give players of WoW the liberty of having "extra" storage space.

The question you really need to ask yourself is, "Am I willing to pay a sum of money each month just so that I can have some extra storage space to hold legendaries I don't even actively use? Or, can I maybe scrap the ones I don't actively use in favor of ones that might actually see some action on my hero?"

Keep Diablo 3 without a monthly sub, or add a monthly sub of $5 - $10 so that you people can have the unnecessary services you so long for? Would Blizzard even give ear to a couple of hoarders that don't know when it's time to donate their leg's to the Goodwill and Salvation Army of New Tristram, when the majority of players don't have this issue? I doubt it.
There isn't enough stash space to collect even 2/3ds of the legendaries for one armor type - and within those 2/3ds one can only keep one version of an item (as in, no variants with other elemental schools for example).

Yes, I have done the maths on that.

Devs forgot the math apparently.

We had no stash space issues in Diablo 2,
we had no stash space issues in Diablo 3 vanilla

...but we have huge stash space issue in Reaper of Souls.

What went wrong in RoS?