Stash space. The struggle is real.

Items and Crafting
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
02/20/2015 07:04 AMPosted by Phatty

Yet stash space limits some people to even play other modes like seasons or hardcore for that matter.

Actually LIMITING the ACTUAL play of the game. If you can't play it, then the 15 things you'd rather see blizzard fix is rather moot.

If you spend half an hour to mule herding your day's find, that's a big problem with gameplay.

Stash space has no effect on your ability to make a seasonal or hardcore character. I just logged in and checked.

It does no such thing as limit your gameplay. If you play this game in such a manner that you feel you need to collect every item that enables every possible current build and every possible future legacy build across all 6 classes, I would say you are in the vast minority of players.

If you spend half an hour to mule "herding your day's find", thats a big problem with YOU.
no.. you are just a closet rat
02/20/2015 07:16 AMPosted by Phatty
I predict that with season 3's rollover - people will have accumulated enough ancients and toons to make stash the a MAJOR problem.

A delightful prediction. But you realize it's a loaded one - loaded with the admission that it's not a "MAJOR" problem right now. And that's what I've taken issue with all along. Anyone who lists stash space at #1 on their list of problems with D3 has hoarding issues, or is playing the game in a way that is in such a small minority that it should not be bent over backwards for.

Stop acting like the sky is falling or that every player in the game has their inventory strapped to the brim and is about to riot. Delete an item or 3.
Stash space is going to be sold as a microtransaction in regions other than the Americas:

02/19/2015 05:39 PMPosted by Nevalistis

In the meantime, some new features may start to show up in data mined information for patch 2.2.0 that will not apply to all regions. Specifically, the following features will not apply to the Americas:

• A new currency called "Platinum"
  • Timed experience boosts
  • New cosmetic items including wings, non-combat pets, and character portraits
  • References to stash space and character slot expansions
  • A new UI interface that references the above information

While the above features will not apply to this region, players will still benefit from some of the quality of life perks tied to these additions, such as a [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/17989719/first-look-patch-220-2-19-2015#quality"]streamlined UI[/url] for selecting cosmetic benefits like pets and Collector's Edition wings.

We recognize that many players have expressed an interest in microtransactions being added to Diablo III. While we may explore this model in some regions, we have no immediate plans to implement such purchases anytime soon for the Americas region.
02/20/2015 07:10 AMPosted by innervation
02/20/2015 07:02 AMPosted by JaqenHghar
And what, exactly, is involved in "addressing" stash space by adding a new tab? How hard is it? Seriously, I really have to wonder what some people are thinking.

Blizzard said long ago (and the MVPs kept us updated on their position) that they can't do it because of 'technical limitations'. Now they could be flat out lying. That's one way you can take it, but I choose not to. The fact that they continue to let things stack higher, and are adding a special interface for cosmetics like wings of valor would suggest that they hear you, but can't just add another tab or two.

On the other hand their stubborn refusal to simply bump up the bloodshard cap (which really should just be changing a few integers in a few lines of code from 500 to some integer larger than 500 (although I guess it might be a bit more if they didn't code the bloodshard count UI to display more than 3 digits)) suggests that maybe they are just that incompetent that they can't do an easy fix for stash space.

There is also the 'server storage' argument put forward earlier in the thread comparing WoW storage to Diablo and the cost of maintaining that. I don't know anything about that, so you'll have to make up your on mind on whether or not that stuff is valid.

What technical limitations? We had two auction houses that allowed storage of up to 120 items, 50 in each AH plus 20 more in active auctions!

Yep. I think they are flat out lying.

The BS cap is another bit of tomfoolery. 3 digit limit? Bump it up to 999 then. Anything would be an improvement. Having started a new character for Season 2, I have come to realie that a 500 BS limit is fine for new players, where clearing a Neph Rift will reward you with 11 Shards, but for anyone over level 70, the cap becomes more of a restrictive pain in the a$$ than a logical storage amount that takes some time to reach.

Off topic - Since so many of us have "mules", why don't they let us use the old AH UI for stash/mule management instead of forcing us to continually start a new game in order to find one piece of gear we put on a mule?
It's all about making decisions. There's enough stash space.
If they can make rift stones, trial stones and ramaladni's stack higher then that would save a few more slots. Additionally, letting crafting mats stack higher would also be a big help (yes 5k is not enough when crafting ancient gear is involvolved).

The problem with this however, is that it might save 1 or 2 rows of a tab. Does it help? Sure, abit. It might just be enough to compensate for the new legendary's introduced in seasonal play.

The real problem is that every class set is worth keeping. Every legendary with a skill changing affix is worth keeping (just look at the previews of new sets). And as time goes on, more and more synergy legendary's and sets will appear that will make existing legendaries better.

And then we have ancient items. Believe it or not these actually help alot. If a legendary item is not ancient its not worth keeping (unless its a ring/amulet because they realy dont care for ancient status). But this is just a temporary relief, once the decent ancient versions start piling up the stash is once again way to small.

And then we havent even talked about special stat or element legendaries. Items like vigilante belt or cindercoat. These items you generally want 3 off, one for each main stat.

And then there is + elemental damage, now this is the worst offender possible. How manny elemental types are there? 7? 7 versions of each item, possibly in multiple mainstat variants going up to x3...

Its glaringly obvious that the longer the game runs, the more space we are going to need. And as it currently stands the stash is already way to small. Going forward Blizzard needs to find a way to seriously save on stash space. Some ideas:
- Remove mainstat and revert back to alpha's offense/defense stat play, this will save a massive amount of stash space alone. Alternatively, add a way to convert the mainstat on an item without enchanting. A 4th tab on the enchanter perhaps?
- Add a way to convert anny elemental damage into anny other easely and cheap. No not trough enchanting. Thats not cheap an does not allow one to reroll the stat they want. Possibly a new tab on Shen? Would be an interesting gem sink maybe?

Even doing that, there would still be a big storage problem. What we need is atleast: 1 general tab (gems/mats/keys/etc) and 1 tab per class. Thats 7 total. Even then we could realy use another tab for the "Special stat or elemental specific" legendaries. So idealy an increase of 3 tabs.

Alternatively, a character specific tab would do wonders aswell. Even if it means a reduction in the actual shared stash.
02/20/2015 07:19 AMPosted by innervation
02/20/2015 07:04 AMPosted by Phatty

Yet stash space limits some people to even play other modes like seasons or hardcore for that matter.

Actually LIMITING the ACTUAL play of the game. If you can't play it, then the 15 things you'd rather see blizzard fix is rather moot.

If you spend half an hour to mule herding your day's find, that's a big problem with gameplay.

Stash space has no effect on your ability to make a seasonal or hardcore character. I just logged in and checked.

It does no such thing as limit your gameplay. If you play this game in such a manner that you feel you need to collect every item that enables every possible current build and every possible future legacy build across all 6 classes, I would say you are in the vast minority of players.

If you spend half an hour to mule "herding your day's find", thats a big problem with YOU.

Let me help you:

No stash -> mules -> mule herding. Once you make enough mules, you can't make other toons, which directly limits play. Hardcore tends to have more of a problem due to saving multiple gearing sets for back up.

02/20/2015 07:25 AMPosted by innervation
02/20/2015 07:16 AMPosted by Phatty
I predict that with season 3's rollover - people will have accumulated enough ancients and toons to make stash the a MAJOR problem.

A delightful prediction. But you realize it's a loaded one - loaded with the admission that it's not a "MAJOR" problem right now. And that's what I've taken issue with all along. Anyone who lists stash space at #1 on their list of problems with D3 has hoarding issues, or is playing the game in a way that is in such a small minority that it should not be bent over backwards for.

Stop acting like the sky is falling or that every player in the game has their inventory strapped to the brim and is about to riot. Delete an item or 3.

Are you kidding me? Do you think they will have a technical limitation SOLUTION in a matter of a few weeks when it's a MAJOR problem?

Do you even play this game? Are you not familiar with blizzard's track record?

Without planning now...without acknowledging the issues, we will be caught behind the ball AGAIN.

It's not a problem for MAJORITY of players. But I gave you stats on where the problem lies right now. By the end of season 3, most season players will be rolling into their account at least 3 completed toons. That's when stash becomes a problem.

Hence 3 toons at 70 or more. Paragon 500+. Those are general markers of the players that BEGIN to have stash problems.

I know where I lie the continuum. Keep in mind almost all players if they play long enough will end where up where I am with stash.

Sorry, if you don't want to take the wisdom, experience, and knowledge from a player who admins multiple end game communities - I can't help you.

Hmmm, personally, I tend to go with the guy who has achieved P875 versus the guy (Innervation) who is P336. Since I am a P639, I have run into every single issue Phatty has listed.

You just haven't played long enough to reach the limitations of the current stash system yet, Innervation. You will, though, and we'll be here to say I told you so.

As I said earlier, this hurts no-one and actually helps everyone, so where's the beef? There is none. Only fanbois who rush to defend everything Blizard does, even to their own detriment.
02/20/2015 05:39 AMPosted by bigkdub92
02/20/2015 04:18 AMPosted by !@#$%sword
it's not about hoarding. how many times have a patch or some other change been made where suddenly that legendary you never used is suddenly worth using, or an alternative build is now much stronger than previously oh but damn you scrapped those cool legendaries that would've worked for that build because you don't have space for them. it's not uncommon, or hey maybe god forbid you want to have the option to run a different build in the future just because you can.

You know they don't change affixes on items that you already had correct? Just making sure...You seem the type to not be able to fully read and comprehend things.

You know that sometimes people keep legacy gear (*cough* zero dog *cough*), correct? And that every set change made to date has been retroactive, correct? And that legendaries like Shard of Hate, Furnace, and Rimeheart were retroactively changed, correct?
I guess I play the game differently to most people here. Playing hardcore I only maintain 2-3 characters at once so there's plenty of stash space for them.

When one of them dies I reroll another toon and use whatever I've got to hand or craft, so I'm always clean out of mats, forgotten souls, ramaladni's as well.

It does seem like a lack of self control if people can't salvage gear though and the game realy shouldn't support a person's individual weakness.

Anyway. Try hardcore and you might change your mind about storage problems.
02/20/2015 08:12 AMPosted by Lucaefor
I guess I play the game differently to most people here. Playing hardcore I only maintain 2-3 characters at once so there's plenty of stash space for them.

When one of them dies I reroll another toon and use whatever I've got to hand or craft, so I'm always clean out of mats, forgotten souls, ramaladni's as well.

It does seem like a lack of self control if people can't salvage gear though and the game realy shouldn't support a person's individual weakness.

That's interesting. A lot of hardcore players generally have stated they have worse stash problems than softcore for KEEPING back up sets as their primary toons die. Perhaps they live longer than you and are able to keep good secondary sets instead of having to craft again.
02/20/2015 08:12 AMPosted by Lucaefor

I checked your profile and it says "No Heroes Exist On This Account". No wonder you don't have storage problems.
Hmmm, personally, I tend to go with the guy who has achieved P875 versus the guy (Innervation) who is P336. Since I am a P639, I have run into every single issue Phatty has listed.

You just haven't played long enough to reach the limitations of the current stash system yet, Innervation. You will, though, and we'll be here to say I told you so.

As I said earlier, this hurts no-one and actually helps everyone, so where's the beef? There is none. Only fanbois who rush to defend everything Blizard does, even to their own detriment.

This is only partially true though. It would, if implemented, help everyone. Fair enough. But it doesn't hurt no one. Everything they do comes at an opportunity cost. If Blizzard devotes their resources to creating a new, or expanding the current stash system; that's coming in exchange for working on things that are much more important to the majority of players.

I'm sorry to tell you, but P900's who aren't even satisfied with that, but insist on being able to play each and every possible build across all classes are not the majority. Furthermore, they don't get to decide what does and doesn't constitute a MAJOR EMERGENCY for the player base at large by virtue of playing the game 10 hours a day for months.

When the OP asks: "Blizzard, why can't you agree that the lack of stash space is a HUGE problem?" - the above paragraph would be my answer.
02/20/2015 07:57 AMPosted by JaqenHghar

I'm in the same boat. +1

Biggest offenders were mentioned earlier- multiple copies of the same item in different main stat and elemental versions. You never know when they are going to change skills/runes/sets and I don't really want to re-farm something that already dropped with good rolls because it's by definition rare. You farm enough and you end up knowing what is easily replaced and what is not. I tend to keep the best rolled version of each item that I think might end up being useful.

All my slots (15) are used, most of those toons have nearly full inventories, constantly shuffling gear and gems around.

At this point, I'd welcome microtransactions if that is what it takes to get more tabs.
02/20/2015 08:18 AMPosted by innervation

This is only partially true though. It would, if implemented, help everyone. Fair enough. But it doesn't hurt no one. Everything they do comes at an opportunity cost. If Blizzard devotes their resources to creating a new, or expanding the current stash system; that's coming in exchange for working on things that are much more important to the majority of players.

I'm sorry to tell you, but P900's who aren't even satisfied with that, but insist on being able to play each and every possible build across all classes are not the majority. Furthermore, they don't get to decide what does and doesn't constitute a MAJOR EMERGENCY for the player base at large by virtue of playing the game 10 hours a day for months.

When the OP asks: "Blizzard, why can't you agree that the lack of stash space is a HUGE problem?" - the above paragraph would be my answer.

Stash space is a huge problem for the end game community which is by paragon levels is around 10% of the population.

I've given you the stats. They are easily found on somepage for diablo.

Again, the game's design needs to cater to the entire continuum of play. You will most likely have the same stash problems I have at p800 if the system doesn't change.

Although the stash problem ACTIVELY affects only ~10% of the population, it potentially can affect almost EVERYONE. So the opportunity cost, you're talking about has the most return before it becomes a problem for more people. They should be working on it now as they can see most people who "hoard" reasonably are using 1.5 stash tabs per class.

If I play 10 hours a day for months, that mean that your 2 hours will become an issue in 5 multiples of time. However, sunk cost is removed and people's gearing has been accelerated along with EXP with a new tier of drops - this makes that time frame non-linear. With the exp changes and drop changes, you can be where I am in half maybe 1/3 of the time it took before 2.1. And if we were going by scaling of time/effort, pre 2.1 probably 1/5 to 1/6.

In other words, this shouldn't have been a problem in the FIRST place. So why should it get LAST place attention?
02/20/2015 04:29 AMPosted by !@#$%sword
says the guy with a couple 60's, and 68 paragon. Of course you don't have a problem with overflowing stash.

Do you know that console profiles don't link here? I haven't played this game on pc since the console release. But just continue to know everything.
02/20/2015 08:33 AMPosted by Greentea101
02/20/2015 04:29 AMPosted by !@#$%sword
says the guy with a couple 60's, and 68 paragon. Of course you don't have a problem with overflowing stash.

Do you know that console profiles don't link here? I haven't played this game on pc since the console release. But just continue to know everything.

console stash =/= PC stash.