patch 2.2 changes to sets, retroactive?

Items and Crafting
just wondering if i should farm the sets now or should i just wait
wait
every set change to date has been retroactive. you do the prediction.
wish they were..
Tal Rasha might not be retroactive since now it's a synergy with Meteor + Arcane Orb + Black Hole different elements.

By my calculation you will be able to play at a 2-3stack, 4 will be hard since you need 4 elements (wrath of lighting gem ?). At 3 stacks you get 225% increased dmg (NOT WEAPON DMG) so

1. Arcane orb will be 435%+ 978.75% = 1413.75% base dmg unruned
2. Meteor 1648% + 3708% = 5356% base molten impact dmg (estimated 500m dmg from max 180m i have seen maybe more, haven't gotten that far)

Arcane power generators / regen will need to be huge but doable.
It opens up so many combos especially with hydra / arcane orb / meteor / BH - 4 elements ? :D

Or they can be a present for those that already have the full / maxed sets :D
02/25/2015 12:18 AMPosted by KinU
Tal Rasha might not be retroactive since now it's a synergy with Meteor + Arcane Orb + Black Hole different elements.

By my calculation you will be able to play at a 2-3stack, 4 will be hard since you need 4 elements (wrath of lighting gem ?). At 3 stacks you get 225% increased dmg (NOT WEAPON DMG) so

1. Arcane orb will be 435%+ 978.75% = 1413.75% base dmg unruned
2. Meteor 1648% + 3708% = 5356% base molten impact dmg (estimated 500m dmg from max 180m i have seen maybe more, haven't gotten that far)

Arcane power generators / regen will need to be huge but doable.
It opens up so many combos especially with hydra / arcane orb / meteor / BH - 4 elements ? :D

Or they can be a present for those that already have the full / maxed sets :D

All vanilla sets are getting huge changes.

I wouldn't be surprised that it's retroactive. Those sets need to be further improved by other items. It isn't like you can use them to do high Grift right away anyway.

Plus, they don't like legacy items sticking around. Having those sets with different bonus will just make things more difficult.

I don't see any reason for the change not be retroactive when it was done so many times in the past.
From what I have seen, when it's a perceived nerf, it's retroactive.

When it's a perceived buff, you have to refarm it.

Many legacy items that were buffed, weren't retro, but, I have been surprised once or twice.
Every set change to date has been retroactive.
02/25/2015 12:48 AMPosted by Hern
[quote]Every set change to date has been retroactive.

Every set change to date has not been retro active.

Some have and some have not.

Do not make me break out the small essay I wrote to myself on this subject.

If they flip flop on a rule,even if its some "hard fast" rule they virtually guaranteed about upcoming set items from time point point XYZ onward......

It's best not to be shocked or surprised. the entire game every pixel every axe every piece of gold is theirs to shift and twist and alter as they see fit.
02/25/2015 12:46 AMPosted by DOA
From what I have seen, when it's a perceived nerf, it's retroactive.

When it's a perceived buff, you have to refarm it.

Many legacy items that were buffed, weren't retro, but, I have been surprised once or twice.

Lots of things are retroactive. The SWK, Firebird, and Raekor sets, Furnace and Rimeheart were all changed retroactively to name a few. Why wouldn't the new sets be?
will not be retro, because basic sets become from 4 into 6 pieces. definetly new sets for those.
but raimend storm, and other 6 pieces probably retro.
They will obviously be retroactive because there will be no "old" bonus sets. All set items will now conform to their new set bonuses. Not doing so would cause gameplay issues.
Cant we just wait a few more hours for the PTR to be up to confirm....
It probably won't be retroactive. It is an opportunity to refresh the item race a bit, and Blizzard would be foolish not to seize it.
If they don't intend to make them retroactive, they would come up with new item names to replace the old versions. So far that is not the case.
The only items that werent retroactively changed were named: legacy.

i doubt that they will make more legacy items without a very large content patch/addon. The changes to marauder for example were retroactive, there is no reason to farm those, except if you want all slots as ancient.

edit: i also doubt that you will see or have legecy items in any season
a lot of changes have been retroactive. but this might be something new because this change was in the middle of season 2. a lot of people salvaged their set items thinking they are trash. so im not really confident that it would be retro like in the past. hope a blue would comment
The set changes will be retroactive. Blizzard have stated in the past that this is possible and a part of their philosophy to always retroactively update existing sets. The only exception is when a new affix is added in addition to existing affixes. As this is new and an extra affix, their software cant make the new addition to existing items. So its simply impossible to do, not a decision on their part.

Past changes include Raekors and the Furnace whereby existing bonuses have been completely changed and retroactively updated. In the case of FOTVP, the SS % bonus was an additional affix in 2.1 (or extra affix, not a change to an existing one) so could not be added retroactively to existing FOTVPs.

Cheers
CC123
Sets had at least one change that was not retro, probably two.
02/24/2015 11:04 PMPosted by Nesa
every set change to date has been retroactive.

The changes coming to existing sets in 2.2.0 will be retroactive, as they have been in the past.

We have a general philosophy to avoid retroactive changes, because we acknowledge it can feel a little weird to log in and have your gear behave differently than you expect. However, sets are an exception to this rule because of how much time is usually invested in gathering a full set. We'd rather you not have to refarm the entire set over again and instead have the opportunity to try all the new changes the moment you log in.