Resource Generators

Monk
I have noticed how the meta has shifted towards eliminating resource generators and I for one have always believed that requiring them gave an enjoyable cadence to the flow of battle (also the all look badass!). So I wonder for the Monk, or any class really, is there a plan to make builds without resource generators the exception and not the norm once again? Also what do you guy's think about this? I honestly do not want to play the game b/c the Monk, a visually exciting class with kung fu gameplay has been turned into this hero who walks around exclusively dropping bells on mobs (but I understand if other's don't feel the same).
Also let me know if my opinion is totally misguided and Spirit Generators are totally viable for competitive play!
Can anyone tell me about the state of resource generators in the game?
Anyone?
In the current version of the game as far as monks go generators are really only for until you have the gear that you can stop using them. However that might 'possibly' change after the next patch comes out. I managed a 37 grift with a generator only build on ptr, not really sure how what the max would be, and of course it's ptr so things could always change for better or worse.
The chars I play below for the most part do not use sprit generators. That's not to say that I do not use a cool down to get some resource back.

hexwuko monk = nope
barb = nope
jade doc = nope
fire bird = nope
Demon Hunter = nope
How do you guys feel about this? Is this intended Blizzard design or do you foresee them trying to balance generators back to required?
Theres plenty of discussion about this everywhere but Ill quote some keypoints I had about this subject:

I must say I defitinively feel ya when speaking about how monk has lost a lot of their important original essence, aside from dodge I feel we have lost completely the spirit generator mechanics and with that the powerful melee feel, the moment we became predominantly ranged bell casters and channelers a part of myself died inside honestly I MISS the vanilla times when melee generators felt fast & powerful and worked as a supreme vehicle for multiple sources of damage (proccing items and skills) :(

---
02/10/2015 02:48 PMPosted by Vox
Colt is right on. Anyone who thinks monks are in a good place now did not play in 1.08.

TR EP Bells
Traditional SW/Submission TR
Speed Palm
SW Cookie
Combo Strike
Nirvana
ZDPS
TR Passive Gen Support (underplayed due to gear req but about as good as DS ZDPS)

I'm not even sure that's a comprehensive list. There was a TON of diversity. Not just in named specs, but in playstyles.

Monk needs gens back. Devs need to realize that using gens seriously cuts into Monks' achilles heel - survival in melee range. That's vastly different than gens' predominant former roll, which was to proc LOH/survival/spirit. In particular, RD seriously punishes gens now vs. hardly at all pre-ROS. We also lost a 40% armor buff gen, for no apparent reason.

---

02/10/2015 04:31 PMPosted by Lightdemon
ditto on the lack of generator play, it really needs to be looked at. It's a systemic problem (for all classes).

I think the underlying issue is that spamming generators should never be more efficient than spamming spenders. That requires gens to be less efficient than spenders, which leads us to not using gens at all because we can generate spirit without gens. Gens then become a burden.

The only benefit to using gens is combo strike and it definitely does not seem worth the effort, nor does it justify the passive and skill slot.

The logical fix is to provide more benefits for performing gen attacks. I hope the new Raiment is something like that. The gain-a-charge-of-DS mechanic is really terrible....
I am glad people have been discussing this on the forums and I hope that Blizz acts accordingly. I also wish that streamers would talk about this more often instead of just praising builds that do a lot of dps. They make it seem great that Monks can just run around and drop bells and mobs and kill things.
If the current Raiment set is designed to create a generator build on first glance it appears they have failed miserably.

:(
The grand theme of ROS and later game mechanic change were to stay away from attack speed, and generator is so tightly tied with attack speed.

Plus, CDR and epiphany as well as other ways for spirit regen decently solved the spirit management problem.

Also, the nerf on weapon proc made spirit generator even more useless.

And the new TS set is more of a DS dmg set than a generator set
Have the dev's said anything about the non resource generator meta shift?
Not openly but their recent design changes seem to reflect they have noticed the problem already.

Although current PTR raiment set (generator set) its still not performing well in terms of damage compared to the possible new spender builds (triple bells from inna set + crudest boots is just so much dps)
Thx! I really wanna get back into Diablo, but it's important for me that the cadence of Resource Generators are viable before that can happen so I'm keeping an eye out for the patch that balances around that. Do they have a plan to address this with actual hero patches and not just item sets that promote gameplay that should be default in the first place?
Luckily, next patch (2.2), resource generators are making a comeback, something I'm incredibly excited for.

Fingers crossed Blizzard doesn't nerf it in the PTR, it's a blast.
02/27/2015 06:42 PMPosted by Khanjar
Luckily, next patch (2.2), resource generators are making a comeback, something I'm incredibly excited for.

Fingers crossed Blizzard doesn't nerf it in the PTR, it's a blast.

Why do you say this? Is it the new Raiment set that's coming out? B/c already people have crunched the numbers showing that Generator-less builds will still be better (at least for monk).
I dont think current PTR raiment competes with the spender builds but will do further testing this week.

I think I have a cool idea of how to fix raiment, what do you think?

=================================================================

2x Piece= Primary skills deal 600% more dmg and have 30% IAS

3x Piece= Primary skills have a chance to cause an explosion 10 yards around a target, additionally monsters hit by primary skills receive 20% more damage from all sources for 5 seconds.

4x Piece= Dashing strike gains the effect of all runes and has its damage increased to 7500%, killing an enemy removes Dashing strike charge cost for 2 seconds (effect is shown in the toolbar with the fire glow).

6x Piece= Using a primary skill grants a raiment storm stack for 5 seconds, each stack increases your spirit generation, movement speed by 2% and dashing strike attack radius by 2 yards, stacks up to 10 times

=================================================================
02/27/2015 06:53 PMPosted by Ripto
Why do you say this? Is it the new Raiment set that's coming out? B/c already people have crunched the numbers showing that Generator-less builds will still be better (at least for monk).

Not on single-target. A FoF build pulls ahead of SWK by roughly 40% in that scenario (i.e. the RG).

Check Heisenburg's math: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16412122348
wow who downvoted my idea? what a jerk :P