[Mechanics] Davlok's Random Testing Shack

Monk
Prev 1 21 22 23 29 Next
Davlok this may have already been covered in this thread, it's getting a little hard to find certain answers. Does SWK 6 buff the DoT damage from LTK Vulture Claw Kick?
04/24/2016 03:31 PMPosted by Khord
Davlok this may have already been covered in this thread, it's getting a little hard to find certain answers. Does SWK 6 buff the DoT damage from LTK Vulture Claw Kick?

I try to update the first post every few months with quick links to the newer stuff

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16527322731?page=1#1

As for the question, yep! Also works on the Pillar portion of Pillar of the Ancients.
Patch 2.4.1 Mechanics Refresher!

Haven't been as active playing or testing on PTR this time around, but figured I would still throw together another refresher for the bits of testing I did do on the last version of the PTR. I'll hit the main points and link to some more detailed posts if you want to delve deeper.

Gem Rework & Monks
- Enforcer is no longer additive with +% Elemental. (Inna buff, SWK clones are not pets)
- Gogok no longer affected by proc coefficents / Mirinae still affected by Proc Coefficents
- Simplicities Strength now multiplicative with other forms of generator damage.
- Taeguk now only works with Tempest Rush (Taeguk's ICD = 1/APS, TR ignores APS... but @ 10 stacks, it doesn't really matter anymore ;)

Inna's Set - Haedrig's Gift for S6
- Cold Ally still only viable Inna element damage as Fire & Earth ally actives don't benefit from APS or +% MA.
- Earth Ally now no longer deactivating and reactivating - causing large jumps in health pool (maybe....)
- Enforcer is no longer additive with +% Elemental.
- Cubing Crudest vs Depth Diggers for Inna-gen builds is fairly close, I'd pick Crudest for more friends!
- Ally Damage mechanics from 2.4: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16527322731?page=17#338

Sunwuko 加油加油!
- 6pc damage increased from +1500% to +3000%; 4pc clone damage doubled.
- Flurry still stacks over 100 (buff icon caps at 100)
- WoL: unchanged since 2.1
- LTK: unchanged since 2.1
- Epiphany hitbox server issues -STILL- reported with WoL & LTK.
- TR Mechanics [2.3+]: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16527322731?page=16#302

Uliana Strategically over 9000:
- Additive damage modifiers (power pylon, assimilation, etc) are -DYNAMIC- and cannot be snapshot.
- Can still Snapshot Mythic Rhythm to your EPs in 2.4.1.
- EP & MR application & overwrite mechanics remain the same as in the link below.
- 6pc EP damage bonus is multiplicative with Fist of Az.
- Area Damage does not proc from EPs applied by Madstone or U2.
- Area Damage of EP's DoT seems to be 50% weaker than it should be (Explosion's AD seem ok)
- SSS:Sustained Attack and EP:Impending Doom look to still be the only viable runes for progression solo GR.
- Flow of Eternity, Lion's Claw, and 4pc work together to give your Seven Sided Strike a 112x multiplier, increasing from 5,677% total weapon damage to 635,824% total weapon damage. (dealt over 14 strikes)
- Fist of Az and 6pc work together to give your Exploding Palm a 14x multiplier, increasing from 6305% weapon damage to 88,270% weapon damage (1,235,780% wd per SSS).
- Still focus on +% Cold damage on bracers, +15% EP on boots/helm, skip +15% SSS on shoulders in favor of +20% area damage.
- Frostburn do work on Impending Doom detonations.
- 2.3 Reference : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16527322731?page=10#181

Raiment of a Thousand Flesh Wounds
- Flesh Rake multiplicative
- DS's hitbox still remains ~10 yards around the base of the Monk's feet.
- DS's APS modifier/multiplier still 3.0 (so with 2.0 sheet aps, you can DS SIX times per second)
- 6pc Generator damage is multiplicative with the 2pc generator bonus (2x & 4x for a total of 8x)

Generator Monks - punching the air until someone's face appears
- 2.1 Generator Information/Ranking - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882328396
- WotHF: Fists of Fury Snapshotting - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882328396?page=18#358 (Maximizing RG DPS = FD/STI/Radiance procs up before hitting RG with FoF)
- Depth Diggers / Simplicities are correctly multiplicative for generator damage (increasing the value of +15% specific generator damage rolls on belts/pants)
- Shenlong 2pc all-damage de/buff increased from a 2x to a 2.5x multiplier (multiplicative)
- Use Mirinae with Fists of Fury if you want to have some funz!

Support Monk - still globes, just now your secondary affix
- If everyone still wants 3 supports; zMonk should still be a viable option for grouping/debuffing/buffing with 2.4's globes spawning replaced by (most likely) -ACTIVE- healing support.
- Passive healing ( Enduring Ally, Safe Haven, Sustenance ) increased with Life-Per-Second items/gems from still works (just not quite viable at high GR, and everyone will call you names)
- Active healing ( Cyclone Strike: Soothing Breeze, Epiphany: Soothing Mist, Breath of Heaven: Circle of Life) increased with +Globe Healing ( Helm, Shoulders, Boots, and Jewelry secondary )
- Soothing Mist's ICD = 1/APS (Istvans+Flying Dragon for max healing)

Oculus RIng - now working with follower equipped rings on all your kills ~_~
- Save your highest 85% ring for your follower
- Get ready to be add Cyclone Strike to most of your builds >_>
- Overlapping pools do not stack.
- More Detailed Oculus Mechanics: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16527322731?page=21#409

Keep in mind, most of these mechanics were tested on PTR, and not 2.4.1 -LIVE- so if you see any inconsistencies, let me know! (There could have been some 11th hour adjustments to procs/MR that made it live). Overall in 2.4.1, the devs did do a pretty good job of balancing all 4 monk sets to be capable of GR85+, so I encourage folks to try out their own builds instead of just following the most popular build(s) on dfans. Of course one set always ends up being #1 - right now it seems like Uliana may have the highest GR potential (+MR), but we have 3+ months to find out! I was hoping the revamped Uliana and Raiment would receive more than just a damage spike as I never really enjoyed using DS for damage or endless SSSing.... but at least Sunwuko is strong enough to combine with Sage's for Torment X! So I'll probably just casually 鼠尾草悟空-ing it up till 2.5 like so: https://youtu.be/lIg8ePox13w ^_^v
Davlok, have you tested the mechanism of reduce CC duration stat on item before? Like effect on different type of CC (soft/hard) like:

Stun / freeze / nightmare(fear) - reduce duration?
Slow AS/MS - reduce duration or degree of slowness?
Knockback - reduce distance displaced or duration in air ?

If assume its like monster's CC resistance, with high enough of it can ignore CC less than 2.3sec as it have less than 0.5sec reduced duration. (immune to that CC)
Davlok, I a Flying Dragon question. I saw your hyperlink on the first page to your Flying Dragon tests, but what I was seeing was what the proc does, not how often it procs. Do you have any details on that? As I mentioned in another thread, it doesn't seem like it's a straight percentage (e.g. every hit you have a 1% chance to proc it or whatever the number may be). I've been having some weird experiences lately with it proccing a TON in some GRs, and barely at all in others. Noticeably so.

What is perplexing me is that on one hand it seems like it's purely random (though you would think there would have to be SOME number behind the randomness), and on the other hand it really seems to proc in spurts.

Any info you have would be most helpful. If it's posted somewhere in here and I missed it, feel free to slap me.
I was also wondering if you had done any damage testing of Seize the Initiative vs Exalted Soul in Shenlong Generator builds. All the Shenlong Generator builds use Seize the Initiative, but I wasn't sure if it was more a bandwagon thing or if it had actually been tested vs Exalted Soul. Seems like the extra 50 spirit would increase DPS significantly and for a greater period of time than Seize the Initiative.
STI versus exatled soul, STI hands down, unless you using pain enhancer (valid prior to this patch)

the current attk speed is critically needed for spirit gen and survival (CC proc, stunning effect, LoH).

Another useful part of it is to build up stricken stack, because initial 25% of RG hp is just for stacking stricken, after that you can see the HP dropp off very fast even without STI. Before RG, STI is 95% uptime, 30% IAS isn't kidding.

Exalted soul gives you roughly 12% extra damage, you can math this out. (especially you just said not enough FD proc)
Is Assimilation still snapshotable?. I am wondering because Ulli Monks seem to play with Mystic Rythm which only really makes sense if Assimilation can be snapshot too.
05/01/2016 01:18 AMPosted by Ikky
Flying Dragon question.

Last I heard Flying Dragon had a 4% chance to proc per 'action', 7s duration, and 5s ICD. So the more you have the buff, the more if procs which results in some inconsistency from time to time. So the best strat is to pray to Y'tar!

05/01/2016 03:08 AMPosted by Ikky
I was also wondering if you had done any damage testing of Seize the Initiative vs Exalted Soul in Shenlong Generator builds.

Exalted gives ~14.5% more damage if you have the +spirit rolls while STI (with just the basic 10% paragon + 15% DW) gives max ~24% more damage. All dictated by uptimes, so I'd say STI is more important of the two.

05/02/2016 01:19 AMPosted by electrofux
Is Assimilation still snapshotable?. I am wondering because Ulli Monks seem to play with Mystic Rythm which only really makes sense if Assimilation can be snapshot too.

You are confusing yourself I think. EP now determines its damage modifiers dynamically... when the EP actually detonates. That just means you will want a large number of stacks every time you SSS, and especially during Cold CoE rotation.
05/02/2016 07:12 PMPosted by Davlok
05/01/2016 01:18 AMPosted by Ikky
Flying Dragon question.

Last I heard Flying Dragon had a 4% chance to proc per 'action', 7s duration, and 5s ICD. So the more you have the buff, the more if procs which results in some inconsistency from time to time. So the best strat is to pray to Y'tar!

05/01/2016 03:08 AMPosted by Ikky
I was also wondering if you had done any damage testing of Seize the Initiative vs Exalted Soul in Shenlong Generator builds.

Exalted gives ~14.5% more damage if you have the +spirit rolls while STI (with just the basic 10% paragon + 15% DW) gives max ~24% more damage. All dictated by uptimes, so I'd say STI is more important of the two.

05/02/2016 01:19 AMPosted by electrofux

You are confusing yourself I think. EP now determines its damage modifiers dynamically... when the EP actually detonates. That just means you will want a large number of stacks every time you SSS, and especially during Cold CoE rotation.

I noticed the top Monks play with MR which really doesnt help SSS, so i assume it is used to snapshot a manual set EP. But once snapshotted using U2 to genrate new Palms is not allowed since it would overwrite the MR-EP which in turn means no Assimilation unless it can be snapshotted too. Therefore i was wondering if assimilation might still be snapshottable.
u cant overwrite a manual EP with Uliana 2p, u simply updated it in duration
And when that happens ->
->And since u dont apply EP from U 2, if all targets are afflicted by EP(and if done right is an EP with MR that inherited also AD) u also get to save the MR buff for SSS damage if u get in the third attack from generator
Ok so if i snapshot a single manually set and MR buffed EP and then spread it via SSS/Gungdo, i cannot overwrite it when i use Ulli2 afterwards to get an Assimilation stack?

And that part on inheriting an Assimilation stack, it sounds like Assimilation does indeed snapshot on EPs, right? I was under the assumption that it now doesnt snapshot and will fade after 5 seconds.

But if i cant really overwrite EPs with Ulli2 then it would make sense to use MR and Assimilation.
I would love to have this clarified as well if anyone knows for sure please. Even so, this is yet another example of stupid broken mechanics that we have to play around to get to work.

2'nd question, does this classify as en exploit, that we can expect nerfed next patch as well?
OK so here is da stuff

Currently, now:
U can snapshot MR for EP and spread it on rest that are not afflicted by EP,
but u can't snapshot assimilation for explosion

Uliana 2 is "bugged" because yes for me is bugged
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20743334390
Is that EP from 2p dont come in with Area Damage inheritance they are basically Void/False EP
But they do come with MR buff ofc if u have it

Basically 1-2-3 generator puts EP on a mob with MR alredy but that is a "void" EP with no AD
Then redo 1-2-3 and since the mob is already afflicted by EP(and there is no other mob near it to steal the MR, u simply update the timer on EP, and keep MR on you to be used on wtv skill next u choose

Now on same mob u can recast manual EP to replace the "void" that is how ever with MR buff, with new EP that will also have MR but also will have AD
Now u drag that mob to a new pack and spread his "authentic" EP to all rest

Ofc u can also skip that mob and run to a pack and simply apply EP buffed by MR manually there and spread it there with SSS and Gungdo

Assimilation buff happens only in those 5 second for EP explosion, u cant snapshot it

Here comes the freaking bad news
U can lose the MR snapshot if change zone(which basically doesnt matters in Rifts since ofc u change zone u cant drag after you a new mob)

But if u drink a potion u lose the MR buff, and dint bother to check if lose also the AD inheritance because this spaghetti code stuff srsly started to get to my nervs
Basically that 20 pack of mobs that got MR-EP on them, the second u drink a potion the EP on them transforms in normal EP....cuz spaghetti code...blame blizz

And u cant re-update the MR buff on mobs if they have EP on them with Normal non MR-EP
U need to go away from them let EP fall down and recast new one like in above steps to get all buffs up again

PS: Davlok or who ever else is free to check this stuff and see if i missed something
05/03/2016 02:50 AMPosted by electrofux
I noticed the top Monks play with MR which really doesnt help SSS

MR does work on SSS if U2 didn't use it. I'll get around to re-summarizing the Uliana mechanics when I get some time.

05/03/2016 06:27 AMPosted by electrofux
Ok so if i snapshot a single manually set and MR buffed EP and then spread it via SSS/Gungdo, i cannot overwrite it when i use Ulli2 afterwards to get an Assimilation stack?

That is not how dynamic works.

When an EP explodes it checks how many stacks you have the moment it explodes, not the # of stacks you had when it was originally applied. Just like every other dynamic mechanic - Zei checks your distance the moment EP detonates, BotT checks if the monsters are snared the moment EP detonates, Endless Walk checks the # of stacks you have when EP detonates... NOT the distance/snared/#EW stacks you had when EP was applied.

05/03/2016 11:07 PMPosted by Taurea
does this classify as en exploit, that we can expect nerfed next patch as well?

No it's not an exploit, and I have no idea what will get nerfed next patch >_>

05/04/2016 01:57 PMPosted by Enoone
Davlok or who ever else is free to check this stuff and see if i missed something

I have no clue if drinking a potion makes you lose your MR buff, but it should be easy enough for anyone to verify. After I got my stash I am taking a break from D3 until PTR to #Overwatch ^_^
Since there seems to be a lot more confusion about 2.4.1 EP snapshot mechanics and how to use properly with Uliana, summarized all the relevant mechanics into one post here. Understanding the basics of static vs dynamic modifiers is key concept to grasp. So all the questions about assimilation in 2.4.1 above seem to be still thinking additive damage is snapshot at a lower level instead of being calculated when EP explodes. The the correct way to think is that it doesn't matter how buffed your DPS is when you apply the EP, only when it detonates. I will remove most of the Madstone mechanics for clarity since it is mostly only useful in Torment X which is already overkill.

ps - If something is totally wrong above, let me know. The majority of the base mechanics were tested several PTRs ago, and only quickly tested for changes in 2.4.1

Static modifiers snapshot at EP application (not a complete list)
- Mythic Rhythm
- Hand used (mainhand/offhand)
- Elemental Damage (not CoE)
- Elite Damage

Dynamic modifiers checked at the time EP explodes (cannot be snapshot)
- Additive Damage [Buffs such as Assimilation, Momentum, Strongarms, Conviction, etc]
- Convention of Elements
- Endless Walk
- Power Pylon
- Bane of the Trapped / Powerful / Stricken
- Zei's Stone of Vengeance
- Crit % ( Broken Promises )
- Focus/Restraint

So now that Additive damage is dynamic for EP, it means you shouldn't care how much of it you have when you apply EP, only when you detonate it. So since most Uliana builds revolve around Convention of Elements, Endless Walk, and Assimilation = you really only need to worry about making sure you only spread MR-buffed EPs. Basically that just means you avoiding applying EP via U2 to 'fresh' mobs; and making sure you have the max assimilation stacks and 100 Endless Walk stacks right before the COLD CoE phase starts.

Basic Mechanics of Seven Sided Strike & EP
- SSS cast animation is fixed at ~89 frames. Lion's claw shortens the frames between strikes from 11 to 5.
- Each SSS strike alternates between mainhand-offhand
- If Mythic Rhythm is active when you cast SSS, it will consume your MR buff, and on -ALL- SSS strikes will deal increased damage.
- All EPs applied by U2 is the opposite hand of the 3rd generator strike.
- All EPs applied by Madstone is the opposite hand of the 1st SSS strike.
- Madstone applies EP before each SSS strike lands, and detonated immediately by 6pc.
- Uliana 6pc detonation also hits the monster the EP was on.
- Only Manually applied EPs can proc Area Damage. (Madstone or U2 applied will not)
- All SSS strikes can proc Area Damage.

Area Damage Mechanics with Uliana
- Basic rule of procs can't proc procs applies here
- EPs applied by Uliana 2pc or Madstone -DO NOT- proc AD
- EPs applied manually -DO- proc AD.
- EPs spread by Gungdo that were applied manually -DO- proc AD.
- SSS procs AD correctly on all strikes.

EP application and overwrite Mechanics
- Manually Applying EP is the only way to overwrite an existing EP.
- Manually Applying EP is the only way to overwrite an existing EP. (let that sink in)
- U2's EP application does not overwrite any existing EPs on targets hit.
- U2's EP application refreshes the duration of any existing EPs on targets hit.
- U2's EP application applies a "fresh" EP to all targets hit that do not have an EP active.
- Gungdo's EP detonation does not overwrite any existing EPs on targets caught in explosion.
- Gungdo's EP detonations refreshes the duration of any existing EPs caught in explosion
- Gungdo's EP detonations only applies its EP to the original target it detonated from and any targets without EP caught in explosion

Mythic Rhythm Mechanics
- MR is its own damage multiplier (+40% = +2 GR levels)
- MR only applies to (1) attack. All strikes of SSS are considered one attack.
- MR only affects (1) EP applied by U2 (the rest get normal EPs, assuming none had EP before) - EDIT: U2 no longer interacts with MR since 2.4.2
- MR is not consumed by U2 if U2 cannot apply a 'fresh' EP (see overwrite mechanics above)
- Gungdo will spread MR-buffed EPs only to targets caught in explosion that did NOT already have an EP active.
- Cyclone Strike -WILL- consume your MR buff, so don't spam it too much when setting up.
- DRINKING A POTION OR LEVELING UP WILL REMOVE MYTHIC RHYTHM FROM ALL ACTIVE EPs (Credit to Enoone)

General GR solo Snapshot guideline
- Enter Rift
- Isolate 1-3 mobs to apply U2 to until you are 100% you have MR active
- Dash into density
- Manually Apply EP
- SSS to spread via Gungdo
- When dragging monsters to 'fresh' packs, always SSS to spread EP and never use U2 to apply EP.
- Gain 100 Endless Walk stacks + high Assimilation stacks before Cold CoE rotation to clear trash/elites.
- Spawn RG
- If the RG spawns adds, Punch it in the face 6 times to gain MR buff, and THEN APPLY MR-EP MANUALLY! (if RG has no no adds, just punch 3 times to to apply MR-EP and SSS away)
- ... don't drink potions
- Profit
Thanks Davlok. It is crystal clear now :-)
Davlok, our hero!! Thank you a thousand times !!
05/11/2016 03:40 AMPosted by Davlok
EP application and overwrite Mechanics
- Manually Applying EP is the only way to overwrite an existing EP. (let that sink in)

davlok u forgot to alert players about losing the snapshot to potion drink :(

-Drinking a Potion or changing zone will make you lose the MR effect on targets even if they are already afflicted by a MR-EP
-Drinking a Potion or changing zone will make you lose the MR effect on targets even if they are already afflicted by a MR-EP
(let that sink in)
05/11/2016 11:48 AMPosted by Enoone
davlok u forgot to alert players about losing the snapshot to potion drink :(

(let that sink in)

Lol totally skipped my mind. I had started writing a draft of the U6 post like a week ago and didn't complete it until this morning when Overwatch rejected me, so I just verified what you said and will add the changes.

Not sure what a good catchy PSA would be for this.... "Don't Drink and Uliana" ?