[Mechanics] Davlok's Random Testing Shack

Monk
Prev 1 25 26 27 32 Next
Edit: Dang, page 26. I guess I will still need to test more mechanics.

01/06/2017 10:23 AMPosted by Vox
For LON LTK farm, Rabid Strike is pretty dang good.

I agree! HoY is pretty fun, I just can't justify giving up that sweet sweet epiphany teleport for speed running.

Some gameplay video with VCK, though SFK is pretty fun to better see RS procs:
https://youtu.be/64qkBl8BF0s
01/03/2017 03:39 AMPosted by Davlok
- Does not require you to actually teleport to a target to proc. (can force-stand)

OHHHH!

I was thinking it wouldn't be that good for my LoN LTK because I force stand-still all the time. This changes EVERYTHING.

I've been running with the Dragon, but I think I'll take ~45% consistent damage over the inconsistent damage and spirit drain with FD. Thanks Davlok!
05/23/2016 04:10 PMPosted by Davlok
Support Base Skill Mechanics
- Epiphany: Soothing Mist has an ICD of 1/APS (this is sheet APS and not generator APS)
- Sheet APS caps at 5. Generator APS can go above that due to it's innate speed bonus (CW = ~1.3x), Raiment 2pc (1.25x), and Alacrity (1.15x).
- Crippling Wave's 3 hit combo's frame lengths (@ 5APS) Base = 8/8/12, R2 = 7/7/10, Alacrity = 7/7/11, R2+Alacrity = 6/6/9

Just to make sure
Is it correct that:
While using one weapon +7ias roll and second weapon with +6ias (for example) our Soothing Mist will be on ICD after first hit in 8/8/12 combo with +6ias weap and after 3rd (12 frames) strike?

And if that is true - is it correct that u always want equal atack speed on mainhand and offhand for healer monk? And how importand is that in percentage of total healing?
FYI - Just found on PTR that there is an obscure 100% IAS from worn gear cap in addition to the 5.0 sheet APS cap.

Skill IAS like Radiance, STI, Transgression, Blazing Fists go over the 100% cap. PE goes over the 100% cap. FD goes over the 100% cap. The 100% cap is likely just for worn IAS.

I hit the 100% cap running legacy IAS (including IAS boots 16% oculus, 9% rolls, etc.)

I intended to see if this was an undocumented change in 2.5.0, but alas, patch went live. Presumably this cap is also live. It may or may not have been introduced in 2.5.0. I can't say for certain whether it's always been.

In any case. The worn IAS cap of 100% is not of any consequence to anyone except theory crafters testing high APS (as one might while attempting to test things at 5.0 APS without FD randomness).
03/21/2017 09:37 AMPosted by Mazarini
Just to make sure
Is it correct that:
While using one weapon +7ias roll and second weapon with +6ias (for example) our Soothing Mist will be on ICD after first hit in 8/8/12 combo with +6ias weap and after 3rd (12 frames) strike?

And if that is true - is it correct that u always want equal atack speed on mainhand and offhand for healer monk? And how importand is that in percentage of total healing?

Certain breakpoints will have better Soothing Mist alignment than others, so having offset hand speeds + generator frame difference could be semi-important. But since you only have 2 hands and generators have 3 hits, I wouldn't worry too much about it. (disclaimer: I haven't played heal monk since twister wiz, so it could be super important!)

03/21/2017 09:48 AMPosted by Vox
FYI - Just found on PTR that there is an obscure 100% IAS from worn gear cap in addition to the 5.0 sheet APS cap.

Interesting, it could have been changed a few patches ago when the initial 5aps cap when in. I have a few 9% ias gears stashed away somewhere, but not sure I could come close to reaching 5aps without FD in town -_-
Patch 2.5 Mini-Mechanics Refresher

I wasn't really planning on doing one for this patch since it really didn't have any new Monk items or global mechanics changes, but I did notice a mini-buff to everyone's favorite LTK monk trying to farm for my Cherry Primal last night. I was hoping 2.5 would include a viable Rimeheart build for us to try out, but looks like the CC mechanics overhaul that never happened >_< If you notice any other mechanics that might have changed, let me know and I can test it out ^_^.

Undocumented 2.5 Bug Fix: Gyana Nu Kashu - Fireball Proc now correctly procs off every LTK (Rivera Dancer's attack speed bonus accounted for)

Noticed the fireball seemed to be proccing a lot more, and after a quick test in town definitely seems like the proc occurs every LTK, so small buff in 2.5! Woohoo!

Inna's Mantra - Damage bonus for each Mystic Ally has been increased to 125% (from 100%

This is fairly self-explanatory, the ally buff is still multiplicative and results in a net 13.5x multiplier with 6pc bonus + Crudest Boots. Works on all damage of both your allies' and the monk, including non-skill damage like item procs, gem procs, etc.

Of course, the Fire Ally / Earth Ally active special attacks are still not benefiting from APS or +% Skill that was "supposedly" fixed according to the 2.4.3 patch notes. Stick with Cold % for max ally active damage.

Strongarm Bracers - The damage bonus from this item is now applied when the knockback occurs rather than when the enemy lands and duration has been increased to 6 seconds

Not much to say here other than the damage is still additive with other +% damage skills, so it is not a separate multiplier. Knockbacks/Ups still suffer from diminishing returns so don't expect 100% uptime.

Rimeheart - Increased the chance to proc its Legendary item power on frozen targets from 10% to 20%

Had high hopes for a viable Rimeheart change, but it does not look like any new changes made it into this patch, so the nominal increased proc rate is still inconsequential when considering the current proc mechanics required to even trigger the 20% (needing both the enemy to be FROZEN and gated behind the attacking skill's proc coefficent). But for those still bored enough to try and make a Rimeheart build to possibly torture the world with if it makes it into a Challenge Rifts soon, I complied a list of FROZEN procs and durations available to monks.

7 Second Duration
Seven Sided Strike - Pandemonium

3 Second Duration
MA - Water Ally ACTIVE
ITEM - Eun-Janh-Do (20% health gate)

2 Second Duration
ITEM - Weapon Proc (Azurewrath)
FoT- Windblast (3rd strike)
SW - Master of Wind

1.5 Second Duration
CW - Wall of Wind
ITEM - Freeze of Deflection

1 Second Duration
ITEM - Frostburn Proc
CW - Tsunami (3rd strike)
MA - Water Ally special passive melee attack

As for what Rimeheart build would work the "best", I'm thinking some Inna build using FoF & Azurewrath (maybe try to fit a FoE/Panda somehow) ^_^;
03/22/2017 03:41 AMPosted by Davlok
Noticed the fireball seemed to be proccing a lot more, and after a quick test in town definitely seems like the proc occurs every LTK, so small buff in 2.5! Woohoo!

Wow I thought it was just me. Very glad to read this, thanks! Does the fireball benefit from Inna's set bonus? LoN? Sunwuko?

Do you know if Mirinae benefits from Inna's set bonus in 2.5? It didn't seem to pre-patch. (Perhaps intentionally?)

I did have in mind an 6I/4SWK Azurewrath/Rimeheart dual wield stupidity with Sweeping Wind (Master of Wind). Things go freeze immune so quickly...
Patch 2.5 Mini-Mechanics Refresher
I complied a list of FROZEN procs and durations available to monks.

I have no idea about the Monk stuff, but Wizards get Blizzard - Frozen Solid which is a guaranteed 2.5s frozen over a large area, and it can be cast for free by Etched Sigil.

Sadly, when I tried to make Frost Wizard before the patch, it was so sorely lacking that I don't think doubling the proc chance of Rimeheart will change anything.

It never even occurred to me to try to use it with any other class.
03/22/2017 07:43 AMPosted by Charsi
Do you know if Mirinae benefits from Inna's set bonus in 2.5? It didn't seem to pre-patch. (Perhaps intentionally?)

I did have in mind an 6I/4SWK Azurewrath/Rimeheart dual wield stupidity with Sweeping Wind (Master of Wind). Things go freeze immune so quickly...

Gyana and Mirinae benefit from Inna 6pc just like everything else.

Dimishing CC returns makes the current Rimeheart proc pretty terrible.

03/22/2017 09:55 AMPosted by Quintar
Blizzard - Frozen Solid which is a guaranteed 2.5s frozen over a large area, and it can be cast for free by Etched Sigil.

Way it seems to work is:
2.5s > 1.875 > 1.4s > 1.05s > .79 + Immune for the next 15 seconds!
Patch 2.4.2 Mechanics Refresher!

Gyana Na Kashu Mechanics
- does scale with +% Element (Gyana Fireball Element = LTK Rune's Element) (ie - Fireball isn't always Fire element)

[/quote]

Sure about that? Since it's written in proc that it is "as fire". And still, for which element to change? Cold to get a use with frozen hands?

I play LoN LTK and I have two combos, the build for 80-, with ingeom, rabid strike and scarbringer as weapons, nemesis as bracers. Works pretty well.

When i go in 80+, I then swap in geom for crystal fist, and actually strongarm bracers, but i am thinking about swapping it for a krelm bracer. What kills me mostly is when an enemy charges me, and during the short stun, to get hit by the other mobs arounds.

I don't believe much in Flying dragon to be honest. Mostly because it's not a 100% chance to proc, where with rabid strike, while under epiphany (and I am 100% time) my clone is guaranteed to do his job.

I read somewhere that swapping dashing strike for serenity gives more resilience, better than crystal fist, but my point on this is dashing strike is still a useful skill, to skip some hard packs of elites. If one day I go over 90 in this build, maybe i'll think to drop the dash, but not yet :)

Is damage reduction calculated as CDR? so (1-DR1)*(1-DR2)*..*(1-DRn) = (1-DR) ?

If my formula is correct I have actually like 85% reduction, from my LoN+Lefebvre+Crystal fist.
In terms of numbers, my Thoughness is around 266k, cyclone strike procs Lefebvre and so double the score, and if I also dash with crystal fist it again doubles the score, so I get up to 1B thoughness this way, with still my dash to escape.
03/27/2017 08:21 AMPosted by pluck
Sure about that? Since it's written in proc that it is "as fire". And still, for which element to change? Cold to get a use with frozen hands?

You can't trust everything you read in the tool-tips. Just because the color of the fireball doesn't change doesn't mean the element did not as well. Physical Element LTK rune is more popular with Sunwuko LTK builds (since you can't easily fit in Cindercoat), so you can test it out yourself.

krelm bracer.

If you're playing with Rabid Strike, you should be aiming for 100% Epiphany uptime in-combat thru zodiac, so stuns should have no effect on you.

I don't believe much in Flying dragon to be honest.

FD is more for high GR pushing (90+). Any rifts where trash mobs die instantly and elites in a few seconds is probably faster with SB/IG/RS.

I read somewhere that swapping dashing strike for serenity gives more resilience

That could be true, but DS is used for the rune effect as much as for the positioning. The builds using Radiance's 15% IAS can still hit the highest LTK breakpoint (8 frames) without STI buff. Others with toughness issues may find Blinding Speed the better option. I've also seen String of Ears used over a Witching Hour, it's all up to what you feel comfortable fishing ^_^
Since i am playing a Broken Promise build (and it works!) i am wondering how Mystic Allies interact with it. My observation is that they dont interact at all but i am not sure wether crits from the allies count or not and if the Ally skill (wave, boulder, explosion) behaves differently?
Davlok, I can't find the link but what is the animation time on SSS with and without Lion's Claw? I recall seeing it listed as 89 frames with Lion's Claw but I just want proof and if it was lowered to that do you know which patch it was? Thanks.
04/02/2017 07:35 AMPosted by Khord
Davlok, I can't find the link but what is the animation time on SSS with and without Lion's Claw? I recall seeing it listed as 89 frames with Lion's Claw but I just want proof and if it was lowered to that do you know which patch it was? Thanks.

I semi-verified this back in the day (88/89 frames for SSS) during the brief moment when Essence Burn was better than Impending Doom for a few weeks on PTR, but credit to 詩骨玉神裁 for testing the frames specifically out:

08/09/2015 01:27 AMPosted by 詩骨玉神裁
And I've tested the animation of SSS
Without lion it would be 23F+11F*6, every hit except the last hit would be followed with an 11F animation.
Without lion it would be 23F+5F*13, every hit except the last hit would be followed with an 5F animation.
So, I'm really late to the game on this and apologies if this has already been answered, but with season 10 here I wanted to ask an expert. Davlok, how does the 2-piece Inna's set affect Water Ally's cold effect? Does it slow targets by 120% for 6 seconds or is that not how the doubling works?
04/03/2017 01:54 PMPosted by DarthNobody
So, I'm really late to the game on this and apologies if this has already been answered, but with season 10 here I wanted to ask an expert. Davlok, how does the 2-piece Inna's set affect Water Ally's cold effect? Does it slow targets by 120% for 6 seconds or is that not how the doubling works?

Good question, it doesn't look like the slow is more effective even against white trash mobs (Any elites have 25% multiplicative slow resistance) so if the (supposed) 80% slow cap is in place, it's kind of hard to tell if the doubling 2pc bonus is actually in effect. Sorry for the vague answer!
I didn't see Attack Speed covered in the first post. Are there still breakpoints, as there were in Diablo 2? Specifically asking for Istvan swords, Crippling Wave - Tsunami, with Flying Dragon in Cube (also using Seize the Initiative). With my gear selections, I could get up to 42% Attack Speed (rings, swords, gloves, amulet). Is it needed?
04/07/2017 06:25 AMPosted by moogleslam
I didn't see Attack Speed covered in the first post. Are there still breakpoints, as there were in Diablo 2? Specifically asking for Istvan swords, Crippling Wave - Tsunami, with Flying Dragon in Cube (also using Seize the Initiative). With my gear selections, I could get up to 42% Attack Speed (rings, swords, gloves, amulet). Is it needed?

Yep, still breakpoints. Your sheet APS caped at 5 (this includes Flying Dragon, gear affix IAS, paragon, STI, etc) while the Raiment 2pc bonus & Alacrity allow your generators to attack faster than the 5APS. Druin's old breakpoint post ( https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/14609371554 ) is still a good primer. I made a few generator break point charts to comparison for common situations here ( https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/11882328396?page=21#post-401 ) but if you really want exact values for your monk and gear, head over to d3planner to optimize!

01/03/2017 03:39 AMPosted by Davlok
Inna LTK builds using Rabid Strike (without Gyana equipped) will have mimicked LTKs doing ~85% of the damage of your LTKs

Added this line to the 2.4.3 Rabid Strike Mechanics post since the previous estimate for Inna-LTK (60%) was assuming having a Gyana with +100% LTK equipped. Since some pretty viable Inna-LTK builds don't have Gyana equipped, and standard DibS works with Rabid Strike procs while +LTK% does not, so mimicked LTKs will do 85-90% of the damage of your LTKs. (I don't have an Inna helm with +15%!) ^_^
04/07/2017 06:25 AMPosted by moogleslam

Yep, still breakpoints. Your sheet APS caped at 5 (this includes Flying Dragon, gear affix IAS, paragon, STI, etc) while the Raiment 2pc bonus & Alacrity allow your generators to attack faster than the 5APS. Druin's old breakpoint post ( https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/14609371554 ) is still a good primer. I made a few generator break point charts to comparison for common situations here ( https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/11882328396?page=21#post-401 ) but if you really want exact values for your monk and gear, head over to d3planner to optimize!

Okay, I played around with d3planner for a while. Interestingly, it seems like this will get you to 5APS:

Istvan's with 5 stacks
Flying Dragon
Max Paragon
IAS on 4 pieces of gear.

That's it. Nothing else. No Gogok, Seize the Initiative, Alacrity, and two pieces of gear can drop Attack Speed?!? That opens up a lot of Passive flexibility, and makes running Esoteric the clear choice.

EDIT: Oh wait, you said Alacrity allows you to go above 5 APS? d3planner doesn't show this, but I believe you :) Is it worth it though? If you're already at 5 APS, that's pretty fast, and it might be better to select something like Harmony with that Passive slot?
So, I have been seeing a lot of Inna's/LTK builds popping up in 2.5.0.

I was wondering if anyone has tested it using Riviera Dancers + Flying Dragon in cube with ORoZ. It would seem like the mix of attack speed + the cooldown based on attack would be greatly beneficial for using MA and Epiphany to keep spirit up. Otherwise it would hurt because you would use up all your spirit so fast you wouldn't have the cooldowns ready for MA/Epiphany.

Just purely a thought, but wondering if someone wanted to test. Next time I can log in, I am planning to try it, but I don't get the time that some people get to play.