[Mechanics] Davlok's Random Testing Shack

Monk
Prev 1 28 29 30 32 Next
it is multiplicative but it's additive with other skill damage increases
10/18/2017 06:45 AMPosted by Davlok

U2 applied EPs were fixed to proc Area Damage, but no longer interact with Mythic R at all.

Woah! this is nice!

Now...i would like to know what blizz is waiting to let U2 properly spread MR to every monster hit by the 3rd strike?

Someone from blizzard has said something about this before?

Its a real turn off to be using the wonky trick of carrying the MR on urself, without even something to let you know you have the buff.
10/18/2017 11:38 AMPosted by Darth
All wave of light damage does 2.5x more damage, if the initial impact hits 3 mobs or less than it does 3.5x more = 2.5 * 3.5 = x8.75 damage or is it additive 6x, or just overrides straight 3.5 x?

It just overrides to be a straight 3.5x multiplier.

10/21/2017 09:48 PMPosted by Soifon
it is multiplicative but it's additive with other skill damage increases

Kyoshiro's Blade isn't additive with anything as far as I can tell.

11/08/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Hydde
Someone from blizzard has said something about this before?

It was part of the 2.4.2 patch notes:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/2-4-2

"The damage bonus from Mythic Rhythm is now consumed on manually applied Spirit spenders and not automatically from items or set bonuses."
11/08/2017 06:32 PMPosted by Davlok

It was part of the 2.4.2 patch notes:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/2-4-2

"The damage bonus from Mythic Rhythm is now consumed on manually applied Spirit spenders and not automatically from items or set bonuses."

damn... so it is intendional by blizz...what a let down,,

Then it would be appreciated if they make 2 things:

1- Make a symbol to let us know when we have the MR on ourselves ready to be applied.
2- If possible, let us know which monster has the MRed-EP and which isnt.
2 days ago

10/18/2017 11:38 AMPosted by Darth
All wave of light damage does 2.5x more damage, if the initial impact hits 3 mobs or less than it does 3.5x more = 2.5 * 3.5 = x8.75 damage or is it additive 6x, or just overrides straight 3.5 x?

It just overrides to be a straight 3.5x multiplier.

what... lol that cant be correct.. fk now i gotta interrupt seasons to test
Surprise surprise davlok is correct... wow and ive been casting outside packs this entire time
11/11/2017 10:39 AMPosted by Darth
Surprise surprise davlok is correct... wow and ive been casting outside packs this entire time

I am a little confused now... should I be casting WoL on a mob or in open space?
11/13/2017 07:16 AMPosted by ShaunaBair
11/11/2017 10:39 AMPosted by Darth

I am a little confused now... should I be casting WoL on a mob or in open space?

As long as the initial Bell (or Pillar) hits 3 or less enemies then Kyoshiro's Blade gives you the max bonus, which effects the DoT from Pillars and the the large explosion from three fire rune. What that means is you want to target just outside of a pack to get the most damage.
I always thought the game was smart enough to calculate how many enemies you hit with the fire rune extensions before it calculated the damage each mob took.

Am i wrong?

I did some basic testing before the season started and i couldn't notice a difference between casting off to the side and having the center bell hit 10+ mobs. The weapons i was using had substantially different damage ranges so it's possible i might have missed a damage increase difference between MH and OH swings.

I always thought the entire fire rune explosion counted as 1 hit.
11/14/2017 01:29 AMPosted by Soifon
I always thought the entire fire rune explosion counted as 1 hit.

Not, really. Back in vanilla D3 most of the Wave of Light rune attack were split into three parts. The "Impact", the "Gong", and then the "Wave". Somewhere around RoS when they reworked/renamed the runes, the "Wave" part was removed from most of the runes. So back to your actual question, I did have some testing from 2015 for the Kyoshiro's Blade quoted below that should still be valid for the current patch.
11/21/2015 08:32 AMPosted by Davlok
Kyoshiro's Blade - Damage multiplicative, +250% replaces +150% when conditions met. (only the initial hit targets counted, when landing the first bell of Explosive LIght, clones that extend out and hit > 3 enemies still receive the bonus, so you actually want to land your bells on the "edge" of packs to maintain the 3 target bonus)

http://i.imgur.com/7mL6e6X.jpg
I put on a 2-3 damage weap + ruby, removed all dex, (this allows for a pretty constant # when you hit with a skill) went to cemetery got a skeleton, checked damage, put kyo in cube and did again, and 3.5 x damage....

I suppose if you wanted to get an exact singular # you could find an added damage that is something along the lines of ... 62-123 < < When you see this on jewelry what it is actually saying is +62 Minimum + 61 maximum (122-62 = 61) .. the reason this is necessary is because back in vanilla there were minimum and maximum only rolls, then I suppose this would make all skills hit for the same #.. What I dont quite get is why some skills will hit for same # with a small differential but others vary 1-10 digits or so

And Yes you still wanna edge packs but when I thought it was a 5x multiplier obviously I thought it was that much more important..

Also on the 3 part thing davlok was talking about.. if you remember the old bells would drop, slam, then slide.. the cold bell still does something like it
Someone asked me to look at a thread on reddit that suspected a possible Kyoshiro's Blade + Epiphany bug at high APS/latency, so I went ahead and gave it a few whacks to figure out what was going on. Could not narrow it down exactly, but figured I'd share some results.

It does seem like KB's legendary effect bugs out when epiphany is active.
- sporadically occurs above 2.0 sheet APS, but occurs much more frequently above 2.41 APS
- approximately 5% fail at 2.0 APS, 90%+ fail above 3.0 APS
- unlinked to Tzo's Kirin or DWing
- had normal < 60ms during testing
- doesn't appear to be an ICD. (consecutive fails)
- doesn't appear to affect outside of Epiphany
- only tested Explosive Light (lazy)

Not the most conclusive test results, so if anyone else wants to do some testing/digging/datamining, please do. Could be linked to some type of frame limit (below 25 frames) or just a direct Epiphany thing. Overall, I don't think too many WoL monks were stacking IAS, but those using STI+Radiance, rings like ortz with IAS, or in groups with ias buffs (speed pylons) should probably avoid breaking 2.4 APS when using Kyoshiro's Blade + Epiphany.

TLDR;
https://i.imgur.com/BK2U9iV.png
Hi Davlok,

is it just the direct impact damage or the firebell clones too?
This may or may not be the same bug, but I've had the bell actually fail to appear on a couple of occasions. I'll cast WoL, my toon will go through with the animation, but the bell doesn't show and the monsters don't take damage. This is with the generator build (so no Epiphany) but with a Witching Hour. I don't recall the bug happening when I was using a String of Ears, so again possibly IAS-related.
Also with Sunwuko WoL: there's something about the build that counts as a projectile. I've been one-shotted by dervishes and sand dwellers out of the blue, but only when within melee range.

It doesn't seem to be the Explosive Light bursts (I can hit them from range without any problems). It could be SW, but I don't recall this being a problem when I was playing SWK+LTK last era. Possibly the initial WoL bell.
11/17/2017 03:21 AMPosted by Davlok
Someone asked me to look at a thread on reddit that suspected a possible Kyoshiro's Blade + Epiphany bug at high APS/latency, so I went ahead and gave it a few whacks to figure out what was going on. Could not narrow it down exactly, but figured I'd share some results.

- sporadically occurs above 2.0 sheet APS, but occurs much more frequently above 2.41 APS

Not the most conclusive test results, so if anyone else wants to do some testing/digging/datamining, please do. Could be linked to some type of frame limit (below 25 frames) or just a direct Epiphany thing. Overall, I don't think too many WoL monks were stacking IAS, but those using STI+Radiance, rings like ortz with IAS, or in groups with ias buffs (speed pylons) should probably avoid breaking 2.4 APS when using Kyoshiro's Blade + Epiphany.

TLDR;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AaT1vnRkA

this is a very rough test to determine whether or not with enough attack speed WoL casts will overlap each other. i recommend starting the video at 0:09 and setting to 0.25 speed. you will notice that the fire spirits from the first cast appear to damage the cows on the left edge of the screen at the moment during/after the next bell is cast. this is done with more than 2.4 APS using STI, gogok, lacunis and some random gear.

depending on how kyoshiro's blade (and epiphany) is implemented it would not surprise me if there is some unintended interaction here with damage instances of previous WoL casts interfering with the KB orange text. this is just wild speculation, but i wanted to test this out since it seems like a plausible way a bug could manifest.
11/24/2017 01:21 PMPosted by grev
11/17/2017 03:21 AMPosted by Davlok

TLDR;

this is a very rough test to determine whether or not with enough attack speed WoL casts will overlap each other. i recommend starting the video at 0:09 and setting to 0.25 speed. you will notice that the fire spirits from the first cast appear to damage the cows on the left edge of the screen at the moment during/after the next bell is cast. this is done with more than 2.4 APS using STI, gogok, lacunis and some random gear.

depending on how kyoshiro's blade (and epiphany) is implemented it would not surprise me if there is some unintended interaction here with damage instances of previous WoL casts interfering with the KB orange text. this is just wild speculation, but i wanted to test this out since it seems like a plausible way a bug could manifest.

Thanks for your testing!

Could you possibly do some tests with increased latency? As someone playing with 180ms+ this build seems unplayable. Hoping it is not in my head and that ping does indeed affect WoL.

Thank you!
11/27/2017 08:57 AMPosted by Whitezilla
11/24/2017 01:21 PMPosted by grev

Thanks for your testing!

Could you possibly do some tests with increased latency? As someone playing with 180ms+ this build seems unplayable. Hoping it is not in my head and that ping does indeed affect WoL.

Thank you!

I'm not playing at the top tiers, but I tend to play around 160ms-200ms (oddly, the same connection sees 65-70ms on Overwatch...), and SWK WoL is fine.
11/29/2017 11:21 AMPosted by Epharian
11/27/2017 08:57 AMPosted by Whitezilla

Thanks for your testing!

Thank you!

I'm not playing at the top tiers, but I tend to play around 160ms-200ms (oddly, the same connection sees 65-70ms on Overwatch...), and SWK WoL is fine.

Bliz's Diablo 3 servers are really bad... The rubber banding is horrible in this game.