Question with regards to import/export saves.

Console Discussion
So I have the ps3 version of the UEE of d3 and this question may be worded in a horrendous fashion since I have moments of failure.

I'm looking to find a way to import my d3 characters onto my friend's ps4 who has his own d3 account.
Is there anyway possible to have it so he can use his characters and I can use mine in same screen co-op?
I know you can transfer your own to other consoles however is this possible and how would I go about it?
A step by step walkthrough would be great but any help is also appreciated!
The short version is that what you're trying to do is possible, but it will require a little bit of foot work to achieve. Thankfully, we did write a step-by-step guide on how to transfer your characters. Also, it's important to keep in mind that characters can't go backwards. You won't be able to continue your characters on on your PS3 once you've played them on the PS4's updated version.
I'd first backup the PS3 save to a USB thumbdrive and put that away in a safe place. I don't know if the PS3 version of the transfer utility deletes the local save from the PS3 after uploading it like the Xbox 360 version does, but better safe than sorry. You know, just in case lol. Only then would I use the built in transfer utility to upload the save from the PS3 to Blizzards servers, then download it using your friends PS4. See the step by step guide for how. You'll of course have to make sure you're logged into your own PSN account on both machines to do this and like Grimku said, you can't transfer any progress made on the PS4 back to the PS3, but if your just interested in having fun with your friend using your own leveled up characters and gear, it should be totally doable.
03/03/2015 04:02 PMPosted by Grimiku
Also, it's important to keep in mind that characters can't go backwards. You won't be able to continue your characters on on your PS3 once you've played them on the PS4's updated version.

Hmm...
After I did the linking of my battle.net and SEN accounts and did the transfer via PSN, I noticed that my PS4 transfered save was missing some items from the PS3 save.
So I loaded up D3 on the PS3 and logged into my original D3 account with the same PSN and was able to access my character and unfortunately was also able to confirm a lot of legendary gear and items (azurewrath, skorn, puzzle ring, etc) didn't make it to the PS4.
Are some items from the vanilla D3 not able to be used in RoS? How was I able to access my previous character on the PS3 based on what is stated above in the quote?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
If I import a save will it delete any of my current characters on my ps4
Yes, you will lose anything on the ps4 (characters, gear, etc.) that isn't currently on the Xbox or PS3 you are importing from. The only work around, at least for gear, is to mail them to another ps4 user or another account you have, import the save and then get the gear mailed back.