Console petition.

Console Discussion
Not really sure why this needs to be brought up in every single thread on this topic, but here it is: there is one main reason that modded items on the console version(s) will NEVER be fixed by Blizzard (other than bandaid fixes like the GoE hotfix)...

...the console version(s) DO NOT run on BLIZZARD servers.

Blizzard has ZERO control over the game beyond patches and hotfixes. They do not control matchmaking (other than allowing the ability to make matches through the software), they do not control content in the same way as on PC (third party servers on both consoles with multiplayer matchups being run and managed by MS/Sony on their servers), they do not even link to Blizzard's battle.net service (hence why you can't see console profiles on the forums here; linked accounts or not.)

Regardless of the state of the game, there will always be players who choose to mod the game to allow for godly items or XP gains, because the entirety of the source code is on every single disc or in every digital download of the game. Blizzard would have to invent a way that MS/Sony could essentially run checks on every copy of the game at all times (or, at the very least, periodically through play sessions) to verify content - and I doubt very much that either MS/Sony would agree to that. In fact, it's clear that they won't, since it hasn't happened yet.

This is NOT a Blizzard issue at this point. The game is running on third party servers, without any first party authentication. There is currently no way to manage every instance of every owner's game in the way that is constantly asked for through third party servers with no DRM.

If there were, we'd already have the fix.

All of the above aside there are already ways to both protect your investment of hours played, as well as play with people you are comfortable with, all without worry of getting modded items on your game. Cloud saves, USB backups, external HDD backups, friends lists, legit player threads on the forums, etc. all will prevent what you're worried about.

Use the tools available to you, and you'll never have a problem. Simple.
Signed.
03/31/2015 07:39 AMPosted by cobrasno1
It's really simple. Set your game to "Friends Only" or "Invite Only" and stay away from public games. They can't ruin your game if you don't play with them. And don't except any gifts that are already identified unless you know who's giving it to you and trust them.

+1. I want Blizzard's time spent developing new features, new games, etc.... I'm already empowered to avoid modders reliably, if I choose to exercise those choices. I'll never understand these types of proposed mandated solutions from a "higher power" (Blizzard in this instance) vs. just exercising the available choices. Modders clearly enjoy playing that way, & they paid their money. What do I care if they want to play that way with their friends? I'll play legit with mine, & we can both be happy.

Yes, I know it's such a seditious idea... my bad... ;)
I'd like to start a petition to end this petition.
This must have been written before 2.4
The only way a "modder" can ruin the experience of a "legit" is by entering a greater rift much higher than the level you can handle.
Otherwise this has become a non-issue.
Besides, we get all the best content from seasons, without pointless ladders
Please end this thread.
Im not signing this LOL, Who cares, As long as we get all the updates, thats whats important. Seasons lol !
THIS PETITION IS NO LONGER RELEVANT
Seriously who thought it was a good idea to bring this post back from the dead.

I was reading the first page like it was current and it was getting a little ridiculous until I read that the first posts are from almost a full year ago.
02/26/2016 12:33 PMPosted by WALLYWALLEYE

They finally fixed all modded gear on consoles?
02/26/2016 02:09 PMPosted by KeenDzaDza
You read this?And you dont get the gist?THIS POST IS NO LONGER RELEVANT
02/26/2016 02:09 PMPosted by KeenDzaDza
02/26/2016 12:33 PMPosted by WALLYWALLEYE

No, they made it so someone else's modded gear has zero effect on your gameplay experience.
You're welcome
Do yourself a favor and don't bother making a petition, Blizzard never even bothers looking at them. Blizzard's behavior over the years has made me cynical and I'm not the only one. They never really fix anything in their games and when they make a half- hearted attempt to do so, its usually too little, too late by the time they do.
D3 has potential to evolve in to something great, Blizzard limits its potential. D3 could be fun rather than a constant, almost pointless rat race, Blizzard stamps out fun to keep a near constant grind going. The Diablo franchise's foundations is built on loot and itemization, Blizzard makes these concepts laughable.
I've personally come to the conclusion that Blizzard is trying to walk this franchise off a cliff, but I cant figure out why.
I not buying the argument anymore (even though I've made it myself) that Blizzard doesn't make money off the Diablo games. If non-subscription based games had a record of not turning a profit almost every gaming company that exists would be bankrupt. If Blizzard isn't making a profit on the D3, then that's just bad game design and bad word of mouth.
Sorry for the nerd rage, but I just don't want you getting your hopes up on a petition helping anything. Blizzard never really takes action unless a million or more players just rage quit and like I said before its usually too little, too late by the time they do.

P.S. Man do I hate Necro Bumps
Would be an even better fix to give console players the option to choose like players in Diablo 2 were able to choose...

Diablo 2 had single player/open battle.net for modding and playing online freely

but also a battle.net feature with server side only characters similar to pc currently on d3.

Diablo 2 had both of these along side each other. Why not D3 on the console?
01/26/2016 08:31 PMPosted by Drusas
Not really sure why this needs to be brought up in every single thread on this topic, but here it is: there is one main reason that modded items on the console version(s) will NEVER be fixed by Blizzard (other than bandaid fixes like the GoE hotfix)...

...the console version(s) DO NOT run on BLIZZARD servers.

Blizzard has ZERO control over the game beyond patches and hotfixes. They do not control matchmaking (other than allowing the ability to make matches through the software), they do not control content in the same way as on PC (third party servers on both consoles with multiplayer matchups being run and managed by MS/Sony on their servers), they do not even link to Blizzard's battle.net service (hence why you can't see console profiles on the forums here; linked accounts or not.)

Regardless of the state of the game, there will always be players who choose to mod the game to allow for godly items or XP gains, because the entirety of the source code is on every single disc or in every digital download of the game. Blizzard would have to invent a way that MS/Sony could essentially run checks on every copy of the game at all times (or, at the very least, periodically through play sessions) to verify content - and I doubt very much that either MS/Sony would agree to that. In fact, it's clear that they won't, since it hasn't happened yet.

This is NOT a Blizzard issue at this point. The game is running on third party servers, without any first party authentication. There is currently no way to manage every instance of every owner's game in the way that is constantly asked for through third party servers with no DRM.

If there were, we'd already have the fix.

All of the above aside there are already ways to both protect your investment of hours played, as well as play with people you are comfortable with, all without worry of getting modded items on your game. Cloud saves, USB backups, external HDD backups, friends lists, legit player threads on the forums, etc. all will prevent what you're worried about.

Use the tools available to you, and you'll never have a problem. Simple.

Your points about running on Sony/Microsoft servers are irrelevant and you clearly do not understand the issue.

It is not the servers they run on that is the issue with modded gear. As an example I could play D3 on PS3 not connected to the internet or PSN, export my save to a USB stick, modify it to add modded gear, then copy it back to my PS3 and play D3 offline again with my modded gear...this in no way is touching ANY servers.

It is the fact there is an export function on lastgen, which both XB360 and PS3 had their encryption keys hacked meaning the savefiles are readable and editable.

The fact you can then import these exported (and modified) saves is the ONLY way modded gear gets introduced.

Having Blizzard or Sony servers makes no difference. In fact, the export/import process DOES occur on Blizzards servers but again that is irrelevant.

To stop modded gear they simply need to do what they did in patch 2.4 for Legendary Gems...introduce caps/limits on the stats of items.

They don't need to do this for every piece of gear, just have a check on all 13 equipped slots that the stats fall into range.
03/01/2016 06:35 AMPosted by homerjnick

To stop modded gear they simply need to do what they did in patch 2.4 for Legendary Gems...introduce caps/limits on the stats of items.

Or they could simply add the option of server side characters like PC has for legit players. Of course it would kill your offline character progress but thats the price you pay.
03/01/2016 06:42 AMPosted by Chucklez
03/01/2016 06:35 AMPosted by homerjnick

Or they could simply add the option of server side characters like PC has for legit players. Of course it would kill your offline character progress but thats the price you pay.

They can't do that for two reasons.

Firstly, they want it offline for couch coop, that is the ethos of D3 on consoles, that is their number one intended play experience on consoles.

Secondly, the cost to integrate Battle.net with both Sony/MS own networks will not be cost effective versus the couple of million units it has sold on those platforms and not to introduce now after a year of it being released.

To stop modded gear it has to be done offline ie coded into the game to check your save file since they want it to be offline...and as I say they don't need to code a check on all items...just the 13 slots you actually equip.
03/01/2016 07:01 AMPosted by homerjnick
03/01/2016 06:42 AMPosted by Chucklez

They can't do that for two reasons.

Firstly, they want it offline for couch coop, that is the ethos of D3 on consoles, that is their number one intended play experience on consoles.

Secondly, the cost to integrate Battle.net with both Sony/MS own networks will not be cost effective versus the couple of million units it has sold on those platforms and not to introduce now after a year of it being released.

To stop modded gear it has to be done offline ie coded into the game to check your save file since they want it to be offline...and as I say they don't need to code a check on all items...just the 13 slots you actually equip.

Well that was the only defense Diablo 2 had against modded gear was seperating offline and online characters/servers. It is going to be their only true way to avoid it. Why they didn't figure out the coop thing prior to console release I dont know, but it would have been a step in the right direction to play with PC players.
03/01/2016 07:01 AMPosted by homerjnick

Even checking all items on all characters wouldn't be difficult or time consuming. I have no idea why there's no such sanity checking in the game, but it sounds like a relatively simple solution to me and I see no reason particular reason for it not to exist.