Ancient weapons and short seasons = bad design

General Discussion
This is about seasons only from the point of view of me playing a Crusader.

If seasons are going to be this short I feel like it is a very bad design that you are forced to find a specific ancient weapon(For most classes this is the case) before you can even start looking at ranked greater rifts and be able to compete about ranks.

I play as a crusader and I am forced into finding a ancient Blade Of Prophecy, The Furnace or Heart Slaughter if I want to have a chance to compete in crusader solo rankings. Depending of the weapon I find as ancient decides what spec I am forced to play- Condem if I find Blade Of Prophecy and Phalanx Stampede if I find The Furnace or Heart Slaughter. There is no other specs that can compete with these two in solo greater rifts.

Also Blade Of Prophecy has a big chance to roll without mainstat or vita instead of mainstat and that makes it even harder to get the one required.

I've been playing about 6 to 13 hours a day and so far I have not been lucky enough to get the weapon required. Only thing I am missing right now is a ancient Blade of Prophecy to be able to do solo rankings. I even started to multibox to increase the chance of getting one without any luck.

I can't imagine anyone that does not play Diablo "fulltime" to have a chance on getting a half decent rank before a season ends without massive luck. Specially if you have so little time as we did this season.

At least I have a chance in group rankings because gearing a support crusader does not require a specific ancient legendary item that is super rare. They are easy to gear in general because you can craft most of the parts needed.

If this is going to be the case in season 3 I will be multiboxing from the start until I find the ancient weapon required.
03/20/2015 07:14 PMPosted by Alahadi
If this is going to be the case in season 3 I will be multiboxing from the start until I find the ancient weapon required.

Looks like their Diablo 3 sales policy has been effective after all then, if you fell into the Ancient Weapon trap and bought an extra three copies of the game just to multibox so you could "win".
you have 19 element 14 elite dmg, 30-40lvl gems and zero condemn your crusader needs alot more than an ancient weapon to get in the top leaderboards

leaderboards should be for the most efficient/dedicated not the casuals that just complain they dont have x item.

and the fact is even the most efficient multiboxers are not in the top ten
03/21/2015 06:28 AMPosted by Lucaefor
03/20/2015 07:14 PMPosted by Alahadi

Looks like their Diablo 3 sales policy has been effective after all then, if you fell into the Ancient Weapon trap and bought an extra three copies of the game just to multibox so you could "win".

Indeed maybe we will see a change to if micro transactions make it into D3 haha..

Well if the game is gonna be like this and you gonna save 100's of hours playtime on multiboxing I would say it is worth it.
03/21/2015 07:02 AMPosted by ElDiablo

leaderboards should be for the most efficient/dedicated not the casuals that just complain they dont have x item.

Wow, to name somebody a casual who played 6-13 hours a day is though - IMHO !
03/21/2015 07:02 AMPosted by ElDiablo
you have 19 element 14 elite dmg, 30-40lvl gems and zero condemn your crusader needs alot more than an ancient weapon to get in the top leaderboards

and the fact is even the most efficient multiboxers are not in the top ten

You are looking at the wrong gear and no I have not been leveling gems because I been multiboxing to get my weapon.
I got an ancient blade of prophecy on a crusader I just turned into a mule if that makes your feel any better.
03/21/2015 07:25 AMPosted by aieownyu
I got an ancient blade of prophecy on a crusader I just turned into a mule if that makes your feel any better.

03/21/2015 07:34 AMPosted by Alahadi
03/21/2015 07:25 AMPosted by aieownyu

I got one by playing my main on regular non season mode...
Well maybe you should sell the accounts and give up multi boxing as its clearly not working for you

Anyone can just say they play 13hrs a day. Fact is you have less than 30k elite kills, do not just EXPECT to have every single item godly
03/21/2015 07:14 AMPosted by Alahadi
03/21/2015 06:28 AMPosted by Lucaefor

Indeed maybe we will see a change to if micro transactions make it into D3 haha..

Well if the game is gonna be like this and you gonna save 100's of hours playtime on multiboxing I would say it is worth it.

Idk. It's just a game, I'm not sure it should be taken so seriously that people have to buy four copies to multibox.

I guess streamers who make a living playing Diablo 3, but I'm wholly against that kind of thing as well.
03/21/2015 07:51 AMPosted by ElDiablo
Well maybe you should sell the accounts and give up multi boxing as its clearly not working for you

Anyone can just say they play 13hrs a day. Fact is you have less than 30k elite kills, do not just EXPECT to have every single item godly

All I'm saying here is that you being required to have a specific very rare drop ancient weapon before you can start trying to progress has a negative effect in seasons. This is my opinion and I am posting feedback about it so there is no need to be offensive.
Seasons aren't meant to be this short and probably won't be in the future. It's simply too much work for Blizzard to reset everything this often. You don't need a very specific very rare ancient drop to progress. You can do a lot to compensate for less than optimal gear until you obtain it. Everyone else will be dealing with the same problems too. Yes luck plays a major part in how good your gear is but that is the nature of the game. Right now weeding out the exploits and cheese is going to play a bigger part in leaderboard ranking. The game has a way to go before that changes. Fixating on the problems individual players encountered obtaining specific gear in one season isn't going to speed the process. Give it time.
I completely agree. 2 month season would be fine if there were no ancient weapons. Or if most of the best weapons weren't so rare. Season 2 has lasted 5 weeks now. So I would have needed to play 8.6 hours every single day to achieve 300 hours played. Even that much time doesn't guarantee ancient furnace or any other ancient weapon. Far from it.

Of course top rankings should be for the most dedicated players. But as it stands you need to be dedicated AND have good luck. How is over 8 hours per day casual? How is that not dedicated? Only people that make living playing and streaming diablo can compete without getting lucky. Even they can get unlucky. For example Chainerfails played 13h/day for a month. He got his first usable ancient furnace this week. And it didn't roll well.

This is the state of diablo season and leaderboard rankings. You can spend all your free time playing diablo and it's not that unlikely that season will end before you get your chance compete.
95% of legendary's being useless is a bad design.
03/21/2015 09:05 AMPosted by Zlobsic
95% of legendary's being useless is a bad design.

Sigh, silly class sets. I've been watching some older YouTube uploads where The Grandfather and Mempo of Twilight were OP and people were running round in mainly yellows and thinking to myself the game was more appealing that way.