#PromoteJohnYang

General Discussion
John Yang for Project Lead!

Leave a comment with your thoughts!
Loved him on Tavern Talk. What's his background and when did he join the D3 team?
I don't know enough about him. But I think he has drive at least. I liked how he said he was going back through all the other legendaries, then Travis stepped in and backed him down a little.
He was by far the most competent. +1 for a John Yang promotion.
03/23/2015 06:03 PMPosted by MerLock
Loved him on Tavern Talk. What's his background and when did he join the D3 team?

He loves the hostility button and ears from diablo 1/2, that's all we need to know about him.
He didn't dodge questions and even when he disagreed with player demand, he treated the players' opinions with respect. The other designers need to learn that. He's miles ahead of them in professionalism.

#PromoteJohnYang
Umm, who is he exactly?

His Associate Game Designer that's all I know.
Thanks for the comments guys keep it coming

#PromoteJohnYang
Googled him and no much comes up.

03/23/2015 06:07 PMPosted by AxeLord
But I think he has drive at least. I liked how he said he was going back through all the other legendaries, then Travis stepped in and backed him down a little.

John be like watttt???? I can get it all done...not blizzard soon but John Yang soon, because I cut the bullcrap and /work
03/23/2015 06:01 PMPosted by Idiomqt

Can you be more specific why? State few reasons and then we can debate. The following is not really a valid reason:

03/23/2015 06:14 PMPosted by Childe
He didn't dodge questions and even when he disagreed with player demand, he treated the players' opinions with respect.

Most good speakers never dodge questions and know the right answers. As far as "respect" goes, people can pretend to have respect but that doesn't mean they do.

So with him and Travis we have a good cop bad cop arranged scenario. Everyone loves John (good cop) and dislikes Travis (bad cop). At the end you are satisfied thinking that there is someone over at Blizz that cares about what you have to say. They are selling bricks to idiots and the bricks are selling a lot.

By the way, was it Travis that made sure potions are removed and crafting is instant? Or John?
Miki,

Thank you for the post but, I do not think you understood my second line. My goal is to get the community to discuss their thoughts, not my point of view.

But here it is...

1) John Yang demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the community and players within the community.
2) His answers and demeanour toward questions was forthcoming, blunt, and respectable wether or not he agreed with the question.
3) The other two felt like they were stuck in Wimsy Shire with their lack of knowledge of basic game functions, items, and bugs. (Crusader rune Holy Shock isn't Holy?) (Wait whats that new set we designed, I forgot the name of it.... even though its for the patch we have on the PTR)
4) John Yang also demonstrated that he actually plays the game alot and has adopted a point of view that is based off of both perspectives (Dev/Player)

Btw, Your point about 'good cop bad cop'. Seriously?

Lastly, congrats to Travis for fixing almost meaningless little game inconveniences, But players for the most part care about a game that has all classes balanced and a variety of builds for each class that are viable.

#D2Life
Not hard to paint Travis in a bad light ever since he mentioned 2H did not need fixing before they finally fixed 2H to what it is today.
Yes please! He is by far the most passionate and knowledgeable developer on the team and I love it when he's on Tavern Talk cause we get some real, honest answers. I can tell by watching/listening to him that he has many great ideas, but is being held back by the other devs, and he doesn't like it!
03/23/2015 06:35 PMPosted by Miki
03/23/2015 06:01 PMPosted by Idiomqt

Can you be more specific why? State few reasons and then we can debate. The following is not really a valid reason:

03/23/2015 06:14 PMPosted by Childe
He didn't dodge questions and even when he disagreed with player demand, he treated the players' opinions with respect.

Most good speakers never dodge questions and know the right answers. As far as "respect" goes, people can pretend to have respect but that doesn't mean they do.

So with him and Travis we have a good cop bad cop arranged scenario. Everyone loves John (good cop) and dislikes Travis (bad cop). At the end you are satisfied thinking that there is someone over at Blizz that cares about what you have to say. They are selling bricks to idiots and the bricks are selling a lot.

By the way, was it Travis that made sure potions are removed and crafting is instant? Or John?

Uh, no, I'm not satisfied with Blizzard. But I have to compliment John for what he's doing/trying to do. I'm way more inclined to think John was just being direct in his responses than to be paranoid and think he's secretly trying to manipulate people by... answering their questions. Even if he was trying to evilly trick us into liking Blizzard that way, ... would it be so bad if we were tricked into liking them giving actual answers to our questions? Because that sounds like maybe we tricked them into thinking they tricked us. But seriously, that's just paranoid.
Well "good cop - bad cop" is how it sounds to me. Why would a top gaming company put people that don’t know the game to talk about it? Unless that’s the way it should be so you can have that happy feeling in your belly that John will make everything alright. Or another reason stated below under quote 3.

03/23/2015 06:56 PMPosted by Idiomqt
1) John Yang demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the community and players within the community.

Which community are you talking about, the 1% that consider D3 their life? For me, and most casual but still regular players none of the changes are really making improvement to the game. John understands and supports all ideas that will make D3 even bigger grinding, so again the 0.1% of the D3 community.

2) His answers and demeanour toward questions was forthcoming, blunt, and respectable wether or not he agreed with the question.

Agree compared to the other two, I will also give him a plus for this.

4) John Yang also demonstrated that he actually plays the game alot and has adopted a point of view that is based off of both perspectives (Dev/Player)

Hence is biased and cannot be taken seriously. He will propose/accept changes that are further more sucking in players to spend countless hours grinding for items if that's what he also likes. You get the opinion of a doctor, not the drug addict. The doctor has never tried drugs but he knows what is wrong about them.

3) The other two felt like they were stuck in Wimsy Shire with their lack of knowledge of basic game functions, items, and bugs. (Crusader rune Holy Shock isn't Holy?) (Wait whats that new set we designed, I forgot the name of it.... even though its for the patch we have on the PTR)

Since they are working on the game there is no excuse for the lack of knowledge. However, not everyone in a Team does the same thing. John is obviously the guy that knows the gameplay/items/bugs ect. We don't know how their team operates, that's why they had 3 people and not only John.

Lastly, congrats to Travis for fixing almost meaningless little game inconveniences, But players for the most part care about a game that has all classes balanced and a variety of builds for each class that are viable.

I don't know for sure if he was the one that fixed it, I’ve heard it in the forums, but it is not meaningless, forum was full with posts asking for those changes. Do you know that it can take you a day to craft all gems, with the new change it will be instant. How is that meaningless? And potions? How many times I’ve heard complaints to disable auto pick up or to enable auto pick up for materials. Well those issues have been fixed. If it was really Travis behind this then kudos to him.

So to summarize, we do not have any specific data about John and his real achievements or work ethics but let’s promote him. Based on the fact that he made 1% of people happy I assume that if given the opportunity to make decisions he will make 99% of the community unhappy. Shame that very small percentage of those 99% voices their opinion. Let’s take the item changes for example, only players who have the time to play all day every day like the idea of completely changing their gear with every new patch. The other players find this as an issue, by the time they complete a build it becomes garbage. Since the 1% got the ancient items in the game, based on their overwhelming response in supporting John I assume he will be promoted and made Team Lead.

So at the end you win. Congrats.
Awesome crafting is now instant and potions are no longer auto pickup.
+1