PVP (General Discussion) not "Brawling"

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
03/25/2015 08:26 AMPosted by What
beat that horse

Til' its last breath. o_O
It isn't up to the community to decide what the developers can or cannot do. As I originally stated, the majority of people on this forum still play the game and have given up on the idea of PvP. For many people the PvE environment in diablo is all they know because they didn't start playing this game in 1996 like I did. Mostly, the people that still play this game weren't playing it in beta 2011, when we saw PvP that looked very enjoyable.

How could they have possibly deviated so far from that design? Once again, you dont need an overly complicated PvP system and it can be balanced extremely easily. The PvP arena, IMO, should be completely separate from the normal PvE environment and there could be set character classes with set damage/skills that PvPers could choose from. That fixes all these "problems" or what I consider as excuses from arrising.

This topic is designed for creative and meaningful input about PvP so I appreciate the feedback and comments.
Clearly, Jay Wilson needs to get his staff right on this.
They do not want pvp because it would be a nightmare to balance it taking way too much ressource from Blizzard.

If we could find a way around this we might be able to convince them.

For instance:

- only 3v3 5v5 (so every team can have the fotm class).
- In 3v3 cant have 2 of the same class.
-In 5v5 cant have more than 2 of the same class.

The pvp should be designed around the most balance change needed.
03/25/2015 09:52 PMPosted by Zymurgeist
They can change the skills but none of it will work with the current PvE design.

they can change the skills so that the operate differently in PVP compared to PVE. much like the way they changed the computer opponents in hearthstone to have unique hero powers and cards and create different scenarios. because those computer opponents would be steam rolled by most players and their jacked up decks.

what they did in hearthstone is set out to create content by re-shaping the rules. and what they are doing in D3 is digging their heels in the dirt so that they do not create content. and sadly they are having their egos stroked in doing so.

Your talk about server architecture and data throughput and other such buzzwords are meaningless. You are still just looking for logical roadblocks that justify your opposition to creative thinking that allow these things to bloom.

if you take my example of any game and state the differences between the game and D3 and that the comparison no longer applies, you are totally missing the point.

This thing called PvP in D3 might not ever exist yes. but the reason is not technical. not if you examine video games deep enough. the trouble is that Blizzard will sing you 10,000 excuses and reasons why they made the choice not to drop in PvP. and if you care about the quality of D3, all 10,000 of them will be pretty pathetic overall. just unfortunate wastes of potential and missed opportunities
03/26/2015 06:30 AMPosted by Shurgosa
03/25/2015 09:52 PMPosted by Zymurgeist
They can change the skills but none of it will work with the current PvE design.

they can change the skills so that the operate differently in PVP compared to PVE.

They could but it would require more work than creating a completely new game to do so. It still wouldn't run on the current systems so what would be the point? It's not practical to implement anything more than brawling so It's not going to happen.
03/25/2015 10:19 PMPosted by Aegis
03/25/2015 08:26 AMPosted by What
beat that horse

Til' its last breath. o_O

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
I think that PvEvP is more likely than straight up traditional PvP. This was my idea from a while ago.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/15699387513#7
03/26/2015 12:21 PMPosted by Zymurgeist
03/26/2015 06:30 AMPosted by Shurgosa

they can change the skills so that the operate differently in PVP compared to PVE.

They could but it would require more work than creating a completely new game to do so. It still wouldn't run on the current systems so what would be the point? It's not practical to implement anything more than brawling so It's not going to happen.

There are many things they could do. I could easily list a dozen PVP systems that could use the D3 engine and are better than brawling. I'm 100% sure that you could too. The issue is that they don't want to assign development resources toward it.

Currently, the community as a whole does not "want" PVP. What blizzard fails to realize, is that most of the people who wanted PVP have already quit the game. If they actually added good PVP, those people would come back.
at release over million bought the game pvp mode with ranking was promised everyone believed coz its blizzard then nothing was coming people complained, got ignored and minority were against PvP over time people who played D2 (pvp league) stopped playing most didnt even bother to buy ROS nowadays PvP people are the minority and the others are the majority so we ended up with season as end game instead of pvp, and I dare to say, Let it go ... actually its already "gone" (hope)
03/26/2015 05:08 AMPosted by Vapala
They do not want pvp because it would be a nightmare to balance it taking way too much ressource from Blizzard.

I disagree with that statement. If we consider all skills in a given category amongst all classes equal (just for the sake of argument they are, I know that isn't entirely the case), wouldn't it be easier to balance PVP in a way that doesn't include items?

Essentially, if they balance all skills without armor to be about equal in any given category, then hopefully it should be a somewhat easy coding solution to have items do nothing but as cosmetics while in PVP mode.

This is just one idea among many on how to handle this though.
interesting sidenote: without online constrain, we would have already pvp as a mod years ago but mods are not allowed in D3 so we are depending on blizz and they dont want to

again Let it go
I agree I really wish we had a arena based pvp with some game modes that's what I'd always play but we have to realize that they need to finish and balance pve first. Unfortunately at the rate that's happening don't count on pvp for another 2 years.
03/26/2015 01:36 PMPosted by Trinity

There are many things they could do. I could easily list a dozen PVP systems that could use the D3 engine and are better than brawling. I'm 100% sure that you could too. The issue is that they don't want to assign development resources toward it.

Currently, the community as a whole does not "want" PVP. What blizzard fails to realize, is that most of the people who wanted PVP have already quit the game. If they actually added good PVP, those people would come back.

I agree with this, I think that the majority of the community that is left is clearly "PVE" players. Also, a great majority of the original Diablo fan base has left all together because of the drastic deviations from the origional game design and the Diablo franchise in general. I played D2 for 10 years along with tons of other people... in my opinion the game was..

25% PVE
25% PVP
25% Trading
25% Trolling

That's the Diablo I remember. I miss the good ole days =(
03/25/2015 10:49 AMPosted by Lupo
03/25/2015 10:45 AMPosted by JWNZ
Glad to see there are others out there who are excited still about the idea of PVP in Diablo 3. I checked out that other pvp game some of you were talking about, heros of the storm, it looks interesting but it still isn't Diablo. The mechanics look more like Starcraft to me. Seems to be another game similar to League.

At any rate, thanks for the responses.

There is still a small subset of players left that would like to see PvP. I think the majority of us left the game long ago. Most of us left just don't bother posting anymore because there isn't anything new to be said on the matter. And when threads do pop up in general they are either inundated with posters like WildPants or relegated to the graveyard of a forum that is Brawling.

Besides, right now Seasonal Exclusive legendaries, Seasons hate, and Tavern Talk are the hot button topics to complain about right now. I give it two weeks after season 3 starts that the PvP complaint threads start showing up in General again.

There is a HUGE amount of people looking for PvP and for D3 to finally be a good game. They're just no longer very active in the forums because it's becoming hopeless
03/25/2015 08:27 AMPosted by JWNZ
I suspect you're trolling.. but at any rate if you read Jay Wilson's update he states that Brawling is not PVP.

PvP = Player versus Player. Brawling = Player fights another Player.

Therefore, Brawling = PvP.

Try using your miniscule brains some time and realize the obvious logic behind this. Stop making idiotic posts on these forums, they are terrible enough as it is.
04/01/2015 01:04 PMPosted by BlueSteel
03/25/2015 08:27 AMPosted by JWNZ
I suspect you're trolling.. but at any rate if you read Jay Wilson's update he states that Brawling is not PVP.

Try using your miniscule brains some time and realize the obvious logic behind this. Stop making idiotic posts on these forums, they are terrible enough as it is.

Me and anyone that actually cares about this games longevity are going to take Jay Wilson's word on what brawling is or is not over yours. You, wildpants and the other usual trolls shouldn't worry so much to oppose pvp's actual introduction for no reason at all
04/01/2015 01:06 PMPosted by Sada
04/01/2015 01:04 PMPosted by BlueSteel

Brawling is NOTHING like pvp. Go troll somewhere else.
brawling is exactly like pvp
Brawling and PVP from D2 really are pretty similar. The main differences are:

1) the hostile button
2) team battles
3) ears
4) observing from town
5) ability to agro aka NK kids
6) D2 was more balanced