Paragon System - Is it time for '2.0'?

General Discussion
Hi,

So the Paragon System was (in my opinion) a real blessing when it arrived. A sense of progression despite being deep into a character is awesome, and eventually being able to allocate stat points is also really great.

But I also feel like something's missing. It's a good foundation, but I think the system needs work before it does its job to the fullest extent. Here are my thoughts:

Sparkles and Flair

First of all, simply allocating little stat points gets old fast, and doesn't feel like a huge change to your character.

(!) What if we could instead upgrade our skills and runes, both visually and in terms of power? Not only would this provide some really fun choices, but it would let our characters stand out more from others.

Limitless means Meaningless

Okay, not really. But while I am a big proponent of the limitless progression-model, I don't really like having hundreds of Paragon Levels per character. First of all, it makes it seem like reaching a really high Paragon Level is nigh impossible, and becomes de-motivational. Second, the more levels you have, the less each level will matter.

(!) What if each Paragon Level required a lot more experience, but also granted you bigger rewards all at once? It would reduce the numbers to sensible levels, and add more weight to an advancement. For example, you reach Paragon level 1 after an hour of grind, gain a visual skill rune customization as well as 10 points to allocate. Two hours later, you reach Paragon level 2, gain a skill upgrade opportunity as well as 10 points to allocate.

Longer Seasons

The developers want seasons to last for approximately 3 months, which is fine. But it does place less emphasis behind the character you built, and more on the time you spend to climb the ladder, especially with the aforementioned suggestions in mind.

(!) I think there is room for a longer-running season alongside the normal one. That would allow us to make some meaningful progression on new seasonal characters, while still ensuring that the race ends before we become a little bit too powerful.

Do you also feel like the Paragon System could need a significant update, and if so - what changes would you make?
Hi,

Longer Seasons

The developers want seasons to last for approximately 3 months, which is fine. But it does place less emphasis behind the character you built, and more on the time you spend to climb the ladder, especially with the aforementioned suggestions in mind.

(!) I think there is room for a longer-running season alongside the normal one. That would allow us to make some meaningful progression on new seasonal characters, while still ensuring that the race ends before we become a little bit too powerful.

Do you also feel like the Paragon System could need a significant update, and if so - what changes would you make?

You obviously don't understand the implications of what you are asking here. There's a reason that the entire community called for seasons to start getting shorter. The shorter the season length then the faster that Blizzard actually has to give us an update. What happened last time is that they never put a date on the season end and literally took a vacation from working on this game for near 6+ months.
03/30/2015 07:05 AMPosted by Zack66775
Hi,

You obviously don't understand the implications of what you are asking here. There's a reason that the entire community called for seasons to start getting shorter. The shorter the season length then the faster that Blizzard actually has to give us an update. What happened last time is that they never put a date on the season end and literally took a vacation from working on this game for near 6+ months.

Which is why I proposed that a longer season runs alongside shorter ones. :)
I would love to see paragon overhauled. The current system is stale and doesn't promote any kind of build diversity.

I think paragon points should be able to add power to skills and runes. Adding more elemental dmg, effects, cooldown reduction, etc. You could use paragon to allow unlocking multiple runes for the same ability to allow even more build options. There are tons of options.
I think you mean paragon 3.0 bud. 1.0 was the original, and was limited to 100, and gave you 2 mainstat/vit and 1 of each off stats, and 1% mf. Paragon 2.0 was a HUGE step up from that.
03/30/2015 08:15 AMPosted by Cheshire
I think you mean paragon 3.0 bud. 1.0 was the original, and was limited to 100, and gave you 2 mainstat/vit and 1 of each off stats, and 1% mf. Paragon 2.0 was a HUGE step up from that.

You're right, of course.
03/30/2015 07:13 AMPosted by Cyberbard

We're fragmenting the player base enough already. Let's not have 2 Seasonal modes, okay?
Maybe just remove the 50 point cap? I mean if I want 200 points in movement speed maybe that's my choice. Maybe that's me. I agree with boosting runes or passive a though. That's a cool thought as I am a noob and don't really swap out skills or runes. But hey, just my 2 cents.
03/30/2015 10:10 AMPosted by Orrion

We're fragmenting the player base enough already. Let's not have 2 Seasonal modes, okay?

Do you even have stats over this supposed "fragmentation"?

If the game is fun, I doubt there will be a lack of people to play with regardless of how many ladders you have.
Not sure what they could do to improve the system but I think it's worth a second look. It's a system that directly rewards the player with time played and there is no RNG to it. My only suggestion right now is to allow us to boost our defensive stats higher (like resist, life regen, etc.). Things that is difficult to get in gear without sacrificing too much DPS.