What excactly happens to our feedback?

General Discussion
Seriously. This forum seems more like a place where players can communicate with each other than a platform where our feedback is really passed to the devs.

03/24/2015 10:24 AMPosted by Tyvalir
Great feedback!

*scribbles notes down furiously*

Jeez, this thread has so much feedback-related goodness.

03/03/2015 04:08 PMPosted by Tyvalir
Ah, this is a great topic of discussion.

03/02/2015 12:36 PMPosted by Tyvalir
This is a great topic of discussion.

...as soon as I have additional clarification, I'll be happy to share it!

03/04/2015 10:01 AMPosted by Nevalistis
Now, back to sifting through feedback. ;)

03/04/2015 10:01 AMPosted by Nevalistis
Really loving the huge amount of constructive and well-stated feedback in here. This has been a huge boon. To keep it succinct: thank you so much!

Well, you're welcome... but what happens to our feedback? I'm asking since there's always a 'I'll bring it on next meeting', but never a real response.

We all know that you can't implement all of our ideas (fortunately in some cases) but it is pretty frustrating seeing a lot of constructive and really good feedback that is obviously never looked at.
A written report is put together by the forum CMs each week for the Devs and management. It is a job requirement with a deadline and contains info from not just the Blizzard forums but other social media and fansites. They do not make that report public. They do sometimes revisit a forum topic and let us know what the devs are thinking, but more often they are not allowed to say how the Devs responded or what is going to be addressed next patch.

They really do pass on a lot of player feedback. That is why many game changes are ones players asked for on the forums or other social media. That said, there will always be people who hate those changes and claim the Dev's don't listen. They will never make everyone happy.
03/26/2015 12:01 PMPosted by MissCheetah
They really do pass on a lot of player feedback.

While it's sometimes hard to tell, they do. The issue, IMO, lies in the time it takes to seem some of these changes come through, especially when it comes to simple changes that make the game better. Stuff like adding commas to the AH 2 weeks before shutting it down, or going a full year without ID-all (in a Diablo game of all things) and then finally relenting on our not wanting to ID yellows at all.

Don't even get me started on the Blood Shard cap 'fix.'
So exactly how many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for options to change the size, color, and shape of the cursor?

How many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for an account-wide inventory management system?

How many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for an alternative to the Trials system?

How many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for an additional Stash tab or two...? We'll even pay for it!

How many times?
03/26/2015 12:07 PMPosted by StoneCold
So exactly how many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for options to change the size, color, and shape of the cursor?

How many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for an account-wide inventory management system?

How many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for an alternative to the Trials system?

How many times do they have to put it in a report that players are screaming relentlessly for an additional Stash tab or two...? We'll even pay for it!

How many times?

I imagine the CMs put it in everytime if the feedback warrants it. But it doesn't matter how many times the same issue appears in a report. There is no obligation for the Dev Team to do anything about it.

How many times?

Maybe it's not as easy as we think? Certainly first couple (especially second one) requires an overhaul of UI.
Trial they are looking at it (or at least they say they are).
They know we want stash space but are against microtransanction as per Tavern Talk. No they didn't really state reasons, but trying to not add microtransanction isn't that unreasonable necessarily.

At the very least the point is, the devs do hear about these things and know it. Whether they do something about it not is a separate matter but yeah.
The biggest problem with the state of the game currently is the lack of communication and transparency. That being said i personally believe the devs are capable but are not being given enough time/means or something third. Our feedback is only as good as much they're allowed to use it. Allthough that doesn't explain some HIGHLY illogical choices they made recently.
A dev will never do something they think is truly a bad idea. So if the community wants something different to the devs, what happens?

It's not nice to hear, but people need to stop overestimating the impact their stinging words have on the devs.
What blues write here are actually automated messages sent by robots. We are all being fooled for decades.
03/26/2015 12:06 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
The issue, IMO, lies in the time it takes to seem some of these changes come through, especially when it comes to simple changes that make the game better.

Most definitely. Speaking of changes that take a long time: I still have yet to see an ascended shield drop from either an armor or a weapon rack. Granted, with the changes to the crafting system we no longer need them, but I wonder if that fix ever made it into the game.
A company would be extremely foolish to admit they dont listen to their customers.
03/26/2015 12:01 PMPosted by MissCheetah
A written report is put together by the forum CMs each week for the Devs and management. It is a job requirement with a deadline and contains info from not just the Blizzard forums but other social media and fansites. They do not make that report public. They do sometimes revisit a forum topic and let us know what the devs are thinking, but more often they are not allowed to say how the Devs responded or what is going to be addressed next patch.

They really do pass on a lot of player feedback. That is why many game changes are ones players asked for on the forums or other social media. That said, there will always be people who hate those changes and claim the Dev's don't listen. They will never make everyone happy.

They don't have to make everyone happy, just me!

;-)
03/26/2015 11:52 AMPosted by theremon
This forum seems more like a place where players can communicate with each other than a platform where our feedback is really passed to the devs.

I forgot to address this point here... you are correct about the purpose of the forum. The primary goal is to give players a place to discuss and ask questions. The secondary purpose is for CMs to gather feedback. They try to make that clear in the Welcome thread but not everyone reads it.

Welcome to the General Discussion forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss all aspects of Diablo III with your fellow players.

How many times?

They add it in as long as it is still a player concern. They are STILL adding in that we want Forum Avatars for example. But, as others have correctly said, it is up to the Devs and Mgt to decide what makes it into the game and when.

03/26/2015 12:06 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
While it's sometimes hard to tell, they do. The issue, IMO, lies in the time it takes to seem some of these changes come through, especially when it comes to simple changes that make the game better. Stuff like adding commas to the AH 2 weeks before shutting it down, or going a full year without ID-all (in a Diablo game of all things) and then finally relenting on our not wanting to ID yellows at all.

Don't even get me started on the Blood Shard cap 'fix.'

I completely agree! By the time some of the feedback gets implemented players forgot there were big threads on it.
I wonder if we'll get Forum Avatars in my lifetime...
03/26/2015 01:09 PMPosted by JaqenHghar

We're still using beta avatars for a reason :P
03/26/2015 01:10 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
03/26/2015 01:09 PMPosted by JaqenHghar

We're still using beta avatars for a reason :P

Well, I sure would be interested in knowing what that reason is since I'm 64 years old. I don't even buy green bananas anymore.
When millions of players play a game, any change made will make a lot of people happy, and a lot of people upset. Which ones do you suppose will spend more time on the forums?
wondering if they ever increase the stacks of keys from 100 to 500 or 1000 this can not be that hard...
(better would be this seperate window wyatt talked about for legendary gems)
Design is about making decisions.

Sometimes those decisions are about prioritization. Sometimes those decisions are about long-term health and development. Sometimes those decisions are based on technical limitations, or quality standards. Sometimes those decisions are based on philosophy.

Sometimes those decisions are wrong.

I love that Blizzard tweaked the original StarCraft for years. I love that they tweaked D2 for years. They aren't publishing games and then abandoning them, even when those games do not bring recurring revenue (like subscription fees).

I don't agree with every decision Blizzard makes. I stopped playing WoW because I didn't enjoy where the game went, but I love the fact that their games are the product of strong design. I don't want every feature shoehorned in; there are enough games where it is clear that motion controls, 60fps, 40+ hours of gameplay, moral choice, multiplayer etc. are included for the benefit of checking boxes in a feature list to the detriment of the actual game. Blizzard clearly love their games and want players to love them, too.

Knowing when to say "no" to the things your players think they want, because those things contradict what they actually need, is a critical element of design. If you want a game that is developed by the community and any feature could be added at any time, get involved in an open source project.

Blizzard is more communicative, and incorporates player feedback, better than most. I can't think of any company that does a better job, and I would actually and non-ironically like to know what companies have set your expectations. I'd imagine the answers I would get would be "Blizzard of ten years ago" and "Google" to which I would reply "I think you're misremembering" and "HAHAHAHAHA", respectively.

By the time Blizzard realized the AH needed commas, they had figured out that the problem wasn't commas, it was trading. I'm surprised they bothered to make the change at all. And I sure as heck don't blame them for giving up on explaining why trading isn't coming back.

I don't know what "account-wide inventory management system" players are screaming for, but Blizzard have solicited input on things like unifying follower gear; they don't have a good system to put in place, so they haven't.

Blizzard agrees that trials are creating problems separate from the one they were designed to solve. They have said repeatedly that they don't like trials and are trying to develop an implementation they like. When they have something to share, they'll share. Until then, remember that you're not Marco !@#$ing Polo discovering the problems with trials for the first time.

Blizzard don't agree, philosophically, with increasing stash space. They've said so countless times. I don't blame them for not addressing the situation every time they are asked. Hey, maybe they're wrong! But the fact that people keep asking, and then complaining at not getting "a response", makes it clear that those people are ACTUALLY upset that their demands aren't being blindly implemented.

Maybe it's time to admit that what you're really after isn't for Blizzard to respond to all of your demands, but to blindly comply with them; that is the first step on the road to understanding that nobody wants that to happen.
in the end the feedback which THEY agree on are taken, and everything else is dumped into "nope", that actually makes sense but sometimes it is really amazingly bad what THEY think what WE want

unnerf everything at ROS release and keep promises (e.g. an "AH" interface where we can sort stuff or at least look)