Vanilla Release Season

General Discussion
An idea for nostalgia and or the glutton for punishment crowd. How about a season that replicates the game as it was on day one of original release? Everyone gets to start fresh as if they just loaded the game for the very first time. Relive the good and the bad. If you never played vanilla now would be your chance. No grift leader boards just achievements.

I'm not sure about time line of auction houses but if present the leader boards can include measures of who makes the most money, spends the most, stupidest price paid, etc.

Could be fun or torture but at least something different.
would be great but wont happen
I would love to relive vanilla inferno lol...
Server error 3009 ;-)
Even i would come back to play, vanilla was great and this would also bring back trading, you have my vote! +1

Then after a PVP season? ;-)
So you want a game mode where the server is always down?
04/02/2015 06:27 AMPosted by Zforrest
So you want a game mode where the server is always down?

Yes
04/02/2015 05:54 AMPosted by Bogo
An idea for nostalgia and or the glutton for punishment crowd. How about a season that replicates the game as it was on day one of original release? Everyone gets to start fresh as if they just loaded the game for the very first time. Relive the good and the bad. If you never played vanilla now would be your chance. No grift leader boards just achievements.

I'm not sure about time line of auction houses but if present the leader boards can include measures of who makes the most money, spends the most, stupidest price paid, etc.

How Vanilla are you talking? Because almost every class on launch had at least one buggy/broken build that could stomp the game.

If you mean late Vanilla, blah. No thanks. While sets>all isn't perfect, it's far better than rares>most legs.
How Vanilla are you talking? Because almost every class on launch had at least one buggy/broken build that could stomp the game.

If you mean late Vanilla, blah. No thanks. While sets>all isn't perfect, it's far better than rares>most legs

Exactly as on the first day of release. Prior to a single buff, nerf or patch. Everyone deserves to relive it all if they want to.
04/02/2015 07:26 AMPosted by Bogo
Exactly as on the first day of release. Prior to a single buff, nerf or patch. Everyone deserves to relive it all if they want to.

Awesome. My permanently invulerable Fracture Wizard is up first, closely followed by my permanently invulnerable NT/SS DH!
Season themes would be nice and give an incentive to play seasons beyond season loot, clean leaderboards and achievements. However this might go a bit far as you have to remember it would effect every season player and some may not like it. Unless it was optional of course then why not. But then inferno would need to be harder than it was as there's been a a lot of power creep since then. But a season achievement for completing a full campaign on the equivalent of say gr60 by the time you hit act 5 sounds fun in a sadistic kind of way.

Won't happen though, there's too much other stuff for them to do at the moment.
04/02/2015 05:54 AMPosted by Bogo

Not going to happen. They won't even make original WoW servers. They claim the demand is not there and that that version of the game no longer exists because its been erased and modified so many times. I'm positive they will say the same exact thing about D3.
04/02/2015 07:49 AMPosted by Eights
Cant happen. Same as with games like wow, once things have been updated the original info is altered.

If you want a vanilla experience next season follow these pro-tips:

- Anything useful you get, salvage it as you know that would not happen in vanilla D3

-Any legendary drops are to be left on the ground. Neither the mats or item would have been available to you in vanilla outside of rmah

-Bring a buddy with you that gets* a few nice items you like and give him 30 bucks anytime he gets rings with decent stats or 100 bucks anytime he gets trifecta items and have him trade them to you AFTER you pay him irl and he cuts blizz in on 15%.

-If you want the HC vanilla experience, turn your monitor off during boss fights to simulate disconnects from the server. After 3 minutes turn it back on to see how you did.

-Post messages to yourself in blue text that heckle you while being condescending and then remind yourself you should be thankful.

The full bodied vanilla experience. Enjoy.

Don't forget:

- Buggy burrowing monsters coupled with enrage timers. Enjoy dying to something that you can't see, attack or run away from.

- Invulnerable minions and old shielding. On summoner/fleeing monsters.

- Server queues.

- The game being best played by sitting, staring at the AH and flipping items rather than killing monsters.

- WDs being basically useless. Monks being basically useless outside of parties. Barbs being basically useless until you got your crazy WW build going. Wizards and DHs being permanently invulerable via glitches/poorly designed skills and the latter being able to faceroll A3 Inferno due to bugged NT.

- Almost all legendary items being straight up terrible.

- All sets being straight up terrible.

- What is a 2 hander again?

- Going through the campaign 3 times just to get to Inferno. On every character.

- Summons dying instantly.
04/02/2015 08:03 AMPosted by Starbird
04/02/2015 07:49 AMPosted by Eights
Cant happen. Same as with games like wow, once things have been updated the original info is altered.

If you want a vanilla experience next season follow these pro-tips:

- Anything useful you get, salvage it as you know that would not happen in vanilla D3

-Any legendary drops are to be left on the ground. Neither the mats or item would have been available to you in vanilla outside of rmah

-Bring a buddy with you that gets* a few nice items you like and give him 30 bucks anytime he gets rings with decent stats or 100 bucks anytime he gets trifecta items and have him trade them to you AFTER you pay him irl and he cuts blizz in on 15%.

-If you want the HC vanilla experience, turn your monitor off during boss fights to simulate disconnects from the server. After 3 minutes turn it back on to see how you did.

-Post messages to yourself in blue text that heckle you while being condescending and then remind yourself you should be thankful.

The full bodied vanilla experience. Enjoy.

Don't forget:

- Buggy burrowing monsters coupled with enrage timers. Enjoy dying to something that you can't see, attack or run away from.

- Invulnerable minions and old shielding. On summoner/fleeing monsters.

- Server queues.

- The game being best played by sitting, staring at the AH and flipping items rather than killing monsters.

- WDs being basically useless. Monks being basically useless outside of parties. Barbs being basically useless until you got your crazy WW build going. Wizards and DHs being permanently invulerable via glitches/poorly designed skills and the latter being able to faceroll A3 Inferno due to bugged NT.

- Almost all legendary items being straight up terrible.

- All sets being straight up terrible.

- What is a 2 hander again?

- Going through the campaign 3 times just to get to Inferno. On every character.

- Summons dying instantly.

Nether tentacle wasn't bugged it just hit as often as ball lightning does now. The number of hits gave you that % life every half a second it hit and with massive ias on gear you could spam the hell out of it making it heal you for massive amounts of health. This is why it was made 1 hit per cast and ias was nerfed into the ground shortly after. Ruined my initial DH build. It made NT almost useless damage wise the healing was still decent but when it only does 1 burst of damage compared to ball lightning that was hitting 5-10 times a cast. Then they nerfed that with 1 hit per enemy because it was dealing too much damage. Now it hit's more but not as often because ias took that huge hit.
For those who miss "vanilla" Diablo 3 so much, you can still purchase the original game for the console. It didn't even get patch support, and the legendary item drop-rate was a little more tolerable since the console versions never had an auction house. In many ways, playing the game as it was originally would be nostalgic, but in terms of playing it as an actual Season... are we masochists?
04/02/2015 03:25 PMPosted by HelloKitty
For those who miss "vanilla" Diablo 3 so much, you can still purchase the original game for the console. It didn't even get patch support, and the legendary item drop-rate was a little more tolerable since the console versions never had an auction house. In many ways, playing the game as it was originally would be nostalgic, but in terms of playing it as an actual Season... are we masochists?

Except the console version wasn't the version the OP is referring to. Consoles launched with a modified version of 1.0.8 if I correctly recall.
That is one of the drawbacks of having to play Blizzard's servers. I've played D2 for more than a dozen years, almost exclusively single player. That has given me the freedom to play any patch at any time. I got matriarchs and patriarchs from every numbered patch of LoD and regularly swap between them to keep the challenge and fun going.
I support this. I have a 2nd account, my first, original Diablo 3 account, still at Vanilla level. I think it would be fun to compete with other players in campaign mode only.