Truly Enjoying Seasons

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 12 Next
-Reapplication of everything I've learned from playing D3 and channeling it into new characters
-A true restart, almost like a relaunch of the game where everyone is at the same spot again
-Pushing to do better than you did the last season in GR or paragon, etc
-Learning all the new stuff that comes in with the latest patch and experiencing it from the start
-Competition of the solo/group ladders for ranking
-Watching various streams to see how people are progressing and watching the 'race' for high GR completions and paragon levels. Such as Alk and Klank back and forth Rank 1 barb solo clears, was pretty cool at the season end.
-Trying to push for rank in the last week of the season. Pushing GR's teaches you stuff about the game, and how you approach and play it, and I think makes you a better overall player. Without the time constriction and the imminent season end in sight, you'd never experience that 'crunch time' feel, that tends to push your own limits of play.
I love the feeling of making the most with limited resources.

Gold matters until you get a Boon.

You can be excited about drops that you would ignore in NS.

You can play a build based on your best available gear, without feeling like you're playing "wrong".

There's a sense of satisfaction in succeeding without the resources available in NS. I used that to learn the classes I was less comfortable with. For example, I didn't play my NS DH much after 70; her gear was terrible, and I didn't know how to play her effectively. I couldn't justify poorly playing a poorly-geared character when I "should" be playing a toon that can more effectively farm for upgrades. Seasons let me break out of that mindset and left me with a decently-geared DH that I could play decently well.

Yes, I could have forced myself to learn and gear the character in NS, but I needed the limitations of seasons to justify playing wrong on purpose.
04/05/2015 09:49 PMPosted by MasterBoO
I loved seasons. I also love the fact that my main char is also progressing regardless of my seasonal char. At some point after a few seasons I might actually be paragon 1000 :).

but if you keep playing seasons over and over agan what use does your non season char have even if you reach 1500+ paragons after a while they wil just stand there while you play season over again
Played Season 2. Liked when I didn't think I would.

Looking forward to Season 3.
Seasons have been a good reason to reroll hardcore characters.

Looking forward to doing season 3 with Narull's Hardcore Challenge. Ought to be a blast.
Seasons are exactly the same as Non Seasons, but with new legendaries. You might as well ask "How many of you enjoy Diablo 3?"
04/06/2015 06:38 PMPosted by ImpishX
Seasons are exactly the same as Non Seasons, but with new legendaries. You might as well ask "How many of you enjoy Diablo 3?"

I believe a lot of folks who posted here would disagree with that statement. From a competitive standpoint and even a fresh start standpoint, they are not the same.

Even as a non seasonal player, I can see that.
1. Rares, Legendaries, Gold and Materials Matter Again:
You are re-rolling everything you get as you go from rare to legendary to ancient. You are constantly short of one thing or another. In seasons, I curse the Mystic a lot more than I do Kadala. There is a perverse progression joy in enchanting 5.5 CC on a ring and being forced to wait until you can pull the slot lever again or hitting that perfect re-roll with 1 forgotten soul remaining. When was the last time you had to re-roll anything on your NS character?

2. The Repetition Has More Purpose:
By its very nature, Diablo 3 is a loot game based on grinding. Whether you play Seasons or NS, you are doing the same thing over and over again. Seasons merely requires you to play MORE of the game because of the progression re-set.

Complaints about leveling, the Hellfire ammie grind, etc. are ironic because even if you are playing NS (instead of whining on the forums), you are "grinding" in one form another.

3. The Loss of Power Makes the Game More Interesting:
If you have a powerful and well-geared char in NS, you know what that char is capable of doing. Trying to get your character there and beyond in Seasons makes the journey that much more frustrating, challenging and thereby more interesting.

For example, I'm never going to get a Torch better than the one I found in S1 and currently on my monk. However, that doesn't mean I won't level a monk in S3. We will see what the RNGesus has in store for me. And that is Seasons in a nutshell.

What do you do once you get to the summit? In Seasons, Blizz is asking us to re-climb the mountain, from a different side, starting from the very bottom. My sympathies for those of you near the summit, complaining about there not being more mountain to climb.

4. No One Will Deliberately Handicap Themselves Without a Powerful Incentive
New items and re-worked sets is enough reason to start the power progression anew. Without it, I would not want to do Seasons.
04/06/2015 07:58 PMPosted by NyhtFall
What do you do once you get to the summit? In Seasons, Blizz is asking us to re-climb the mountain, from a different side, starting from the very bottom. My sympathies for those of you near the summit, complaining about there not being more mountain to climb.

Damn. Nicely put.
I love getting a few months of not having to worry for a second about stash space. It is nice to start up a band new character type that I never used before and being able to keep gear for as long as it makes sense and built a few sets. This way I have a few months to figure out what I like for that character before needed to weed out the stuff I will never use on them. Thus, I will be in season 3.
04/06/2015 08:30 PMPosted by BOSS
I love getting a few months of not having to worry for a second about stash space. It is nice to start up a band new character type that I never used before and being able to keep gear for as long as it makes sense and built a few sets. This way I have a few months to figure out what I like for that character before needed to weed out the stuff I will never use on them. Thus, I will be in season 3

LoL. As stated by Boss and others above, this 1000X as well.
I started out playing monk on seasons, because you know, gungdo hype. Was bored to tears of dh on live so I figured eh what the hell. Turns out everyone made monks. So nobody wanted me in a group even though I had all ancient gg gear. Then I was like okay... I leveled the wrong character must lvl dh now.

I then leveled up my dh and got decent multishot gear (quiver rolled for ms with rcr). By that point my dh wasn't clearing as well as other CA dh's so people would just up and leave the party since my dh wasn't gg geared with 1.5mil+ profile dps. Eventually I got tired of it and went back to my ns dh with 1.86mil profile dps and 2.4mil character sheet dps.

Basically, since I leveled "the wrong class" it ruined my experience. But up until that point, it was really fun starting over and it felt exciting doing it with my friends. Only downside is refarming a good hellfires for dh but other than that it's okay.
This thread reminds me of people owning American Express card(s) and willingly pay expensive annual fees for having the requirement that all the balances at the end of each month must be paid off. Yes, that is what Amex used to be.

Another one would be only having debit card instead of credit card just to make sure they can only spend what they have. The kicker is debit card is much more dangerous to own than credit cards.
Took part in season 2. Wont be doing season 3.
I enjoy them. Don't really care about the items. I play HC, and do it poorly, so anything I find gets vaporized eventually.

The same reasons I play HC are why I play seasons. Seasons just reinforces it,
Great to see all the reasons people enjoy Seasons! I totally agree that it’s about the journey, not the destination, and seasons allow us to enjoy the journey again. I also enjoy seasons for the fresh start and playing with all my friends again. I love that feeling of progressing from rare items to assorted legendary items to finishing a 6-piece set.

While we’re on the topic of Seasons, I want to share some information regarding Season length. We generally feel that Season 1 was on the long side, and that Season 2 was on the short side. We want to strike a balance between having enough points in time when we can all commence this journey together, but also allow enough time for characters to mature. Expect Season 3 to be at least 4 months long. While the exact end date is not yet known, we plan on once again giving 2 weeks’ notice before Season 3 ends.
Wyatt I hope you put your helmet on >.<