Rift Level 24 just crushed me WTF???

General Discussion
so, I am a solo wiz and I have been rift farming. I've been to 25 already, and typically 22-25 starts getting noticeably harder. But it's been a pretty smooth curve. Now I have been running maybe between 2.3 and 2.5 million dps, depending on the gearset. When I use BoTP that can hit 2.5-2.8 million.

Well, so...then the patch hit and I have been getting some new gear, like we all have, and then I hit level 24 again and WHAM. I got Orlash, and while he is a little harder than some of the bosses I normally get (Man Carver, Agnidox, Bone Warlock and Crusader King for example are all really easy for me), but if I am careful it's no big deal.

Well. He did some stuff I have never seen before. I had a gearset on that pushed my dps to 2.6-2.7 million, and with BoTP it was probably 2.8-3 million. He came out and started breathing this corkscrew fire stuff, but he had a full sweep, like Diablo does at the end of the main campaign? I died pretty quick when that hit me, but I was like, ok, I just need to stay away from the fire! well, then he multiplied into 3 copies of himself and they ALL had the fire ability!!!!!!!! so fire is ALL OVER THE SCREEN at this point, and THEN, when I *somehow* managed to dodge all the jets, they started teleporting around and breathing in such a way that I couldn't avoid it.

I must have died 20 times. Seriously guys, WHAT THE HELL???? did I just trip over some invisible dps threshold where the programming sets the bosses into impossible mode, or did they reprogram the bosses with the new patch? Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here??!!
Yes, Orlash was buffed this patch.

At GR 24 he's quite the pushover, you just need to have some actual defensive skills, or do real DPS rather than high sheet DPS.
04/13/2015 11:06 AMPosted by Darkwand
I must have died 20 times. Seriously guys, WHAT THE HELL???? did I just trip over some invisible dps threshold where the programming sets the bosses into impossible mode, or did they reprogram the bosses with the new patch? Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here??!!

Welcome to patch 2.2, they messed with a bunch of the RGs and their abilities in this patch. Wait until you get the rat king, love that one in an enclosed space with his shield (which on more than one occasion has pinned and immobilized me against a wall) and those piles of jumping rats.

The somewhat masochistic part of me is actually a bit happy that they are becoming more of a challenge, even on the lower rifts (admittedly 24 is a lot lower for them to be that dangerous though).
Orlash looks like he got a buff alright. He was quite a handful on my last solo GR30 lastnight, but that rat kind, oh man what a trip. Tough as nails but very exciting to fight LOL. But seriously, did they really need to buff Orlash? He was a pain in the butt to begin with LOL.
Progression and success in this game are very heavily tied to RNG. For example, a lvl 40 rift full of zombies is drastically easier than a 35 filled with morlu incinerators and exarchs. The same is true of rift guardians. If you ask anyone about high level progression they will tell you it's about fishing for easy rifts with easy guardians. It's pretty sad really.

They should seriously stop filling entire maps full of particular monster sets, and make all maps consist of a large variety. Also, rift guardians are in need of some serious balance tweaks.
04/13/2015 11:06 AMPosted by Darkwand
I must have died 20 times. Seriously guys, WHAT THE HELL????

You have no armor and all items are rolled to DPS stats only.

The WH is a waste without crit damage and unsure why you would use it in that state. Get a String of Ears.

Look for more mitigation through armor. Just because you are a wizard doesn't mean you can forgo defenses completely.

You have way too much +health stuff which is somewhat "fake" in terms of defense numbers. Roll some of that stuff to Armor...get a String of ears...keep farming for an eye of etlich neck.

You have a lot of work to do...as your rolls on gear don't seem to be optimized. I'm sure there are tons of wizbros that will help you in the wizard forums.

GL!

:D

P.S. forgoing vitality on helm is not a very good idea unless you are decked in ancient gear in other places. You want Int, vit, cc, socket in that slot. Later when your vit number are naturally higher due to paragon and ancient gear...you can go full DPS like your helm is in it's current state (maybe)
Orlash does way too much damage right now.
wow, some good thoughts Pri...yeah, I haven't done a lot of reading on strats; I've been trying to figure it all out myself :/ Armor?? that's one I wouldn't have thought of. I did actually just switch out for a crown that has +93% gen buff, so that I can get +46ish% health from a helm. I have a string of ears and I have an Eye in the bank. Clearly, I need to do some experimenting.
Tbh, on s3 I'm justing getting some EHP on wizard to make those rift levels the less skill intensive as possible (because my wiz skills are "rusty" to say the very least... :p ).

Don't be afraid to get some EHP* on wizards instead of "yolo DPS" on lower rifts, because sets (or at least tals) will demolish the stuff anyway.

*By EHP, I mean get pauldrons of skeleton king, ancient parthan defenders, molten gizzard wildebeast and defensive stats here and there instead of skill%. In the end of the day, blur can be an increase to eDPS, compared to glass cannon. If you didn't pratice on PTR, it's ok to get some defenses up, especially (or only if) you're not pushing GR50+

Imo, it's ok to invest on defenses and lose a minute here and there on mid-tier GRs to avoid surprises from winged assassins and friends/play recklessly watching netflix on another screen...
04/13/2015 12:10 PMPosted by Darkwand
wow, some good thoughts Pri...yeah, I haven't done a lot of reading on strats; I've been trying to figure it all out myself :/ Armor??

btw I don't claim to be an expert, and the meta might have changed with the introduction of defensive legendary gems.

However since you get All Res naturally though intelligence, Armor is the natural defensive option for the wiz.

Health Pool = Damage Absorbtion (How much you can take)
Armor/All Res = Damage Mitigation (How much you "let in")

I see a lot of players focus on vitality and that is not a good move.

If I were you...try to aim around 600K life and work armor into pieces around that number. Combine that with a String of Ears/Eye of Etlich and you will be in a much better spot. Consider leveling at least one defensive gem (i.e. Gizzard seems to be a very strong option) and slotting it in one of your three available sockets. That should get you to around 30 pretty easily.

Also higher GR's become more and more easy with Paragon and ensuring you are utilizing all 3 pieces of jewelry with legendary gems. Remember leg gems are the ONLY piece of gear that grows with us as we progress. They are simply too good to not use...even if it means forgoing stats like crit chance at times.
I just fought Orlash on solo grift 47 and he wasn't too bad. You just have to stay behind his clones at all times. They don't turn past 90 degrees in either direction of how they start their beam, so if you are behind them, they can't hit you. The same goes for Orlash himself. If you try to stay behind him as much as possible in the fight, he can't beam you.
Well guys, a bunch of stuff happened. It feels like I have been blessed by the gaming gods or something. Somehow everything I have done to redo this build just kind of fell together in an amazing way. Probably the most impact came from my completing my 6-set bonus on the Tal Rasha. That's really unleashing unbelievable damage on the enemy. Then I decided that I could use a better set of shoulders, and I pulled an old DWM that I had in the bank. Only to find out that every time someone tries to get up close and gank me the shoulders proc and wipe them out. And that also synergizes with the Audacity that I took on a hunch.

Then I also synergized the set bonus with the Elemental skill and made some of the other changes above. So when I got back up there, they gave me Orlash AGAIN on 24, but now that I knew what he was gonna do, every time he tried to breathe, I stalled him with a blizzard. Then I had my henchman armed with the blue runeblade that does the freezes, and he has like 25% on that. Orlash didn't have time to do anything!!! he breathed once and I dodged it. And I went over 25. Then over 26. I only have 1.7 million dam at this point, but I am wiping everything out!! I am 27 now and still rolling.

Long story short: I owe you guys a beer :D
oh, and a pro tip on Hamelin btw :P You can walk outside the Circle of Death if you have Illusory Boots on ;)
Seem your only built to look pretty and not to fight...

Level 25 should be a breeze. It like playing T6 probably.
uhh Pri...I just broke 30.

Your advice was true to its word :D
04/13/2015 11:59 AMPosted by Altaris
If you ask anyone about high level progression they will tell you it's about fishing for easy rifts with easy guardians. It's pretty sad really

Its down right pathetic. The only saving grace for me , is I don't much care for the GR thing, or leader boards, so I don't find myself in them often enough to care.
04/17/2015 02:39 PMPosted by Darkwand
uhh Pri...I just broke 30.

Your advice was true to its word :D

lol!

Keep the train rolling, broski!

Let's see that GR 40!!
ehh, I lost at 32. After owning the Sand Shaper. But I'm rollin' now baby...a couple more upgrades, a little fine tuning...I think I know what to do now :)