Never ending damage scaling

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 13 Next
You can have Unlimited scaling, or you can have a Grift level cap -- you cannot have both.

I prefer the unlimited scaling since whenever Blizz makes new items/sets you can push farther than previous.
yup. it's an awful, awful system. drives me absolutely insane.

even better when you're running a crusader this season, and they're too slow to even walk out of any damage. and yeah yeah i get it, that shoddy steed skill. but i don't have a free skill slot to use that, so apparently i just...lose out.

lol Blizzard shame on you for not giving us the D2 easy mode, character gets stronger mobs don't play style.
Sounds like people need to get a new cookie dough. . Gee we just had this whole skill slot joke over on a run speed thread and here it is again. I guess somebody has to develop a Steed Charge cookie build.

I'd rather the mobs scale than have the d2 style play where you could have a hammerdin bot Baal.

Is it possible people have hit a wall the will take some thought to climb over. Why is it always Blizzards fault when people fail. I play solo so hit the walls early but I don't whine about them.

The real problem is they developed the game for players and they did not get many. I don't care about you hours, your paragon ect. The more you have the more embarrassed you should be to be whining in this thread.

Just wait, some actual player will beat the problem and then you can all bake new cookies until the next wall.

Just how easy does blizzard have to make this game for you people?
A lot of legendary items and rolls become forgotten souls since they offer fixed damage or hp regen (rorg!!) that does not scale and is not multiplicative... 5k hp per second or per hit is useless if your character has 1.5m health and monsters take 2/3 of it in one shot. Thorns set is just a joke in these conditions.. 4k damage on hit, woo... let's wait 5000 years before it kills an elite

xD
[quote]
04/23/2015 04:17 AMPosted by Gr8Hornytoad

Players want fixes so they can run that wheel at the hardest difficulty with more builds and not have to fish the perfect rift. I don't think that's too much to ask. GR's are not training dungeons lol, they are currently the endgame and the only real competitive aspect of the game. And yes t6 is a joke but GR's are supposed to be the progression after t6. But most builds cap out at around GR40 and there is usually only 1 spec per class that has the ability to compete.

Damage scaling and Progression per monster kill difficulty have to change or this game will continue to just be mediocre. And other than real PVP, it won't matter what new game play mode they give us, these issues will still exist .

I can do mid 40's using only spirit generators on monk (4 spirit generators, mantra, and dashing strike for mobility and rune buff, not 6 piece 10k storms). I'm sure there are quite a few ways for every class to get past level 40.

Not related to the quote: Why is there complaining about infinite scaling for a leaderboard style challenge. If there wasn't, what would even be the point of the leaderboards? Now people are going to say that just keep the health scaling. If they did that then people would be able to continue upgrading their infinitely scaling damage gems and continue up the ranks never having to worry about dying because they are focused only on damage. If they were to remove the scaling damage from grifts we would have people with lvl 100+ bane of the trapped and simplicity's strength who can do damage in the billions with their basic attacks.

I'm going to head over to the call of duty forums and post about how the scaling number of zombies should stop so I can go on forever. Here is another great idea. Let's make Tetris only speed up a certain amount so I can go on forever. Another good idea. I want the ghosts in pac man to top getting faster after a couple levels. How 'bout another one? I think we should make..........see my point yet?
04/23/2015 04:45 AMPosted by DeadRu
I'd rather the mobs scale than have the d2 style play where you could have a hammerdin bot Baal.

I think a T6 to GR35 bot is easier to make than a baalbot. Bots never were really efficient, but always on. The bot (itself) won`t compete for top ladderranks but i`m sure there are some.

What I think is not good in a GR-only Endgame:
- Huge randomness decides between +-5 Levels of what you can do. Easiest possible -> no challenge or what you are fishing for records. Medium -> the reason you`ve choosen this lvl. Hard -> not possible to get it done. => Frustration by design
- Frustrating enemyabilities: Best example is jailer. You can`t do anything against it (except wearing the right amu) and does insanely much dmg
- Incoming dmg and meelechars: Even if you leech over 200k Life per second, you are still not able to stay alive at some point. Even with avoiding every Dmg you can => lots of "dead" skills. Adding in those who are dead because they suck... doesn`t leave much for some classes
- no big open maps. One of the coolest Riftlvl is SouthernHighlands in my opinion. i only get this map in t6-easymode. GRifts seem to be "indoor"-only
- a lot of good content isn`t playable on a challenging lvl. For example every Endboss ingame. Blizzard spent a lot of work for their uniqueness. When was your last visit @maghda/malthael?^^

What in D2 was better than D3:
There are caps. Example: If you already had 75 Allres in Hell, there was no reason to stack allres any longer. => Free stats for other things. In D3 everything is openend. So you just stack and stack and stack... the same 4 stats nearly everywhere

/E my solution would be:
- Cap the dmg done, but increase the life of enemies from this point at a higher rate and let Eliteaffix active for a longer time
- Remove all possible permaCC-effects

Since all Endgamegroups got the enemies in permaCC (=> Dmg from glasscannons), this would enforce Thoughness for Glasscannons and Dmg for tanks.
They don't want to see your point or deal with any facts. They want everything handed to them so they can sit back and pretend they accomplished something. meanwhile as they complain somebody with the same class somewhere has already beat whatever they are whining about. It is always the same handful of people.

I run cookies at times but then when I hit the wall I change them. They should only be a baseline. Never mind if you take two people with the same class the same skill, and paragon one can do it the other can't. I guess this is Blizzard fault also. I have to wonder if these people even have the basics like a kill sequence down or anything past spam you skills and get lucky..

I got a new belt on my seasonal character( well was new at 50 something) and it has the chance to nuke a mob . It was not working until I learned how to use it and now I save the skill until I get a nasty elite. Hoping for an ugraded level belt . If I constantly spam it,it never seems to be there when I really need it. There are many small things in the game that make a difference in how the game plays.

I'm sorry mindlessly running through the game spamming skills is not an effective play style like it was in D2.

Really calling for more skill slots so you can equip the skill you feel you need should give you a clue. Maybe you need to drop a little dps to use that skill.

If Blizzard gave these people another slot they would be back whining the next time they hit a wall
04/23/2015 05:05 AMPosted by AlienPrimate
see my point yet?

That you should be over on the CoD forums acting clueless about poor game design? You're doing mid 40's only because of Power Creep. Your set gives you over a 12,000% damage buff. Instead of fixing the damage scaling problems, they pile thousands upon thousand of damage % onto sets.

All infinite scaling mob damage does, is exacerbate the Power Creep problem.

Soon, any semblance of being able to improve the game, will be lost in the rapid rate they are moving the Power Creep, and that is a direct result of infinite scaling damage from the mobs.
04/23/2015 04:17 AMPosted by Gr8Hornytoad
Players want fixes so they can run that wheel at the hardest difficulty with more builds and not have to fish the perfect rift. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Apparently it is. You have 1/2 the community demanding harder difficulty, while the other 1/2 demands that the game be made easier.

Let's look at T6... at one point, this was the hardest difficulty. Now? It's a joke. Let's imagine that T6 is still the hardest difficulty. Would you be satisfied? Probably not. Look back on S1 - people were complaining that GRift 35 was too hard. Now? It's 55.

End result is - you can't please everyone. You'll either get posts about how the game is too hard, or you'll get posts about how it's too easy.
+1
I hate the "YOU HAVE DIED" message...
whatever you do, whatever toughness you have, at higher grifts:

YOU HAVE DIED
04/23/2015 05:44 AMPosted by Grumm

That you should be over on the CoD forums acting clueless about poor game design? You're doing mid 40's only because of Power Creep. Your set gives you over a 12,000% damage buff. Instead of fixing the damage scaling problems, they pile thousands upon thousand of damage % onto sets.

You missed the part where I said not using 6 piece 10k storms set. The build I used to do that used only basic attacks to do damage. It does 100-400mil crits depending on which generator I use. Dashing strike still only does 380% weapon damage when I don't have the full set. This damage comes from the 2 piece 10k storms, depth diggers, and simplicity's strength. I also use blind faith and promise of glory so I always have 3 stacks of glory.
Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about scaling damage in Greater Rifts. One of the key goals of Greater Rifts is that they serve as a form of measuring stick for a characters power growth, and we feel that scaling damage is a very important element of their ability to function in this way. That said, we’re currently looking at our options for some possible adjustments to how this damage scales in the future.

We’re looking to disable permanent Crowd Control in an upcoming content patch to create more interaction with monsters at higher Greater Rifts levels. To complement that change, we will be also be evaluating how much damage monsters are dealing to players in that environment. One of our goals in the next major patch is to provide a more consistent Greater Rift experience while making sure that defensive Legendary items still matter.
So basically taking the most precious tool out of some classes.
When will those classes get the damage they need to be on par?
05/11/2015 03:16 PMPosted by Grimiku
Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about scaling damage in Greater Rifts. One of the key goals of Greater Rifts is that they serve as a form of measuring stick for a characters power growth, and we feel that scaling damage is a very important element of their ability to function in this way. That said, we’re currently looking at our options for some possible adjustments to how this damage scales in the future.

We’re looking to disable permanent Crowd Control in an upcoming content patch to create more interaction with monsters at higher Greater Rifts levels. To complement that change, we will be also be evaluating how much damage monsters are dealing to players in that environment. One of our goals in the next major patch is to provide a more consistent Greater Rift experience while making sure that defensive Legendary items still matter.

Just make sure players aren't getting one shot by unavoidable damage if you are going to remove perma CC. I guess we will have PTR to tweak that.

While numbers should certainly be a factor, challenge shouldn't "solely" come from numbers and RNG.
04/18/2015 04:32 PMPosted by pigeonspank
and the damage mitigation gems don't help either. i'm running both mutilation guard and esoteric alteration on my crusader, both at rank 25, and it only moved me up like...3 greater rift ranks. literally i went from like rank 29 to rank 32. big whoop. i can still get one shotted. AND i'm running vigilant, too.
I think the phrase: "you are doing it wrong" applies to you.
And 3 GRifts is a large difference. That's roughly double the damage and mob HP. 3 may seem like a "small" number, but it's actually pretty massive.

Seeing as how you have Rank 40 gems, I think you're clearing higher now. Keep playing, and keep going, you'll go higher.
Highly Rated
One of the key goals of Greater Rifts is that they serve as a form of measuring stick for a characters power growth, and we feel that scaling damage is a very important element of their ability to function in this way.

You have completely failed in this goal.

How can we use greater rifts as a measuring stick when everything is based on RNG and luck ?

In order to do a higher level greater rift I need to get a combination of the following

1) right map
2) right density
3) right mob types
4) right elite affixes
5) pylons
6) the right rift guardian

Gear is of so little importance once you get to a higher greater rift. This is not a measuring stick of my characters growth. It's just RNG laced upon RNG.

It's not fun. If I'm failing a greater rift it should because my gear is not good enough or because I played badly, not because of RNG.

Question, do you actually play this game ?