Never ending damage scaling

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 13 Next
People wouldn't need perma CC if we didn't have jailer, frozen, and t-storm affixes one shotting people in GRs above 45. If those were removed then people wouldn't need to bring a WD they would bring extra dps to push GRs.
Is anyone else sick and tired of people complaining about Jailer, Lightning, and Frozen? How about L2P? Jailer feels like a tickle even at GR 50+ if you have 96% CC reduction - add it to your items, and you don't worry any more. Lightning and frozen only really hurt if you are standing still for long periods of time. Save that teleport or vault for the time your really need to escape.

And I will disagree somewhat on the randomness - if all GR are the same there would be no challenge, so it would be boring.

Certainly improvements can be made, and perma CC should go, but I don't see major changes being made to the core of the game. Actually I like D3, that's why I am still here 3 years later!
05/12/2015 06:22 AMPosted by Szythyxs11
Jailer feels like a tickle even at GR 50+ if you have 96% CC reduction

Does CC reduction prevent the damage?
Posted by Szythyxs11
Jailer feels like a tickle even at GR 50+ if you have 96% CC reduction

Does CC reduction prevent the damage?

Yep, 96%CC reduction reduces the damage by 96%. I lol hard at Jailer.
3 years and not even paragon 700. Ideas from people like you, that play the game on a monthly basis, destroyed this game. This game is focusing more and more on casuals.

The RNG of the rifts provide no real competition. For example, crusaders: great AoE and 0 single target dps or single target dps but no survivability or AoE. Great choices. After that, let's say you choose an AoE based build and have 7+ mins for the boss. Surprise... can't kill the boss. This stupid race for Stonesinger and pylons needs to end, not perma CC, imho.

The leaderboard is mainly won by the luckiest guy that found the combination of map + mobs + density + pylon and good boss. To have a competition you need an equal playing field, not farming 300 keys in trials and then just spam like crazy hoping to get lucky. I would prefer to fail a rift because I'm undergeared or maybe I made mistakes, not because Blizzard just can't balance some things.
05/12/2015 06:40 AMPosted by malacay
3 years and not even paragon 700. Ideas from people like you, that play the game on a monthly basis, destroyed this game. This game is focusing more and more on casuals.

Ad hominem attacks seem to be par for the course on this board. Why so hateful?
05/11/2015 03:16 PMPosted by Grimiku
We’re looking to disable permanent Crowd Control in an upcoming content patch to create more interaction with monsters at higher Greater Rifts levels. To complement that change, we will be also be evaluating how much damage monsters are dealing to players in that environment. One of our goals in the next major patch is to provide a more consistent Greater Rift experience while making sure that defensive Legendary items still matter.

Did you consider adding more sources of unavoidable damage, but tuning it down so it won't ever oneshot you (even at highest levels)? If players are facing consistent stream of small, but unavoidable damage, they will begin to itemise toughness and healing to survive.
05/11/2015 03:34 PMPosted by rated
One of the key goals of Greater Rifts is that they serve as a form of measuring stick for a characters power growth, and we feel that scaling damage is a very important element of their ability to function in this way.

You have completely failed in this goal.

How can we use greater rifts as a measuring stick when everything is based on RNG and luck ?

In order to do a higher level greater rift I need to get a combination of the following

1) right map
2) right density
3) right mob types
4) right elite affixes
5) pylons
6) the right rift guardian

Gear is of so little importance once you get to a higher greater rift. This is not a measuring stick of my characters growth. It's just RNG laced upon RNG.

It's not fun. If I'm failing a greater rift it should because my gear is not good enough or because I played badly, not because of RNG.

Question, do you actually play this game ?

So Grimiku, where is the answer ? Or you can talk like politician like you devs always do......
Like other people have said, the unavoidable damage HAS to go. Not EVERYTHING has to deal damage. The point of things like jailer is to prevent you from avoiding other damage. When it's damage is feared over all over damage, the mechanic is clearly broken.

A random rant. It is becoming increasingly irritating how some elites are using walling now. On my slow time wiz they just put up a wall in between them and me so I can hit them and they can't hit me. All this does is bring gameplay to a grinding halt.
I'm liking the "making it grifts more consistent" part! The other day i failed a gr50 with 15:04 and a gr48 with 23:42 half an hour apart with the same character and gear. Its pretty ridiculous how much tileset and mobtypes along with elites and their affixes matter in the games current stage.
05/11/2015 06:45 PMPosted by PaulC
Randomise mobs more throughout the rift. If we start with zombies we don't get to keep zombies.
Same density for each rift.
Rift gaurdians a bit more equal with each other in their raw dps and toughness. Different encounters and mechanics is a good thing though. Scaling at higher levels in terms of how long you spend fighting them needs looked at too I'd say.
Pylons. Interesting area. I personally wouldn't miss them but I also get they add variance and change things up a bit. Given the more useful ones seem reasonably common then their use before the rift gaurdian doesn't bother me so much as the time you get to spend killing mobs with them should be fairly even and some variance is good. I think the main issue is pylon fishing for the rift gaurdian. Saving a channeling pylon for it as a monk is just insane in terms of the difference it makes. Maybe keep pylons but make them not work during the rift gaurdian fight?
Elite affixes has been mentioned a bit. The way some cause damage could be changed up. Already said how it could be done a few posts earlier but essentially make the hard/impossible to avoid ones percentage based.
. One of the key goals of Greater Rifts is that they serve as a form of measuring stick for a characters power growth,

Great! But once you've tested yourself, what then? Almost any P400+ can faceroll T-6 half asleep using only the mouse. Where is the game content to go along with the test results? I don't need to run a GR50 to know I can crush T-6. When I successfully complete my gearcheck on GR50, I'd like to know that now I am finally ready to tackle T-10 or better.

A word about gear. Why do level requirements for gear stop at Level 70? Shouldn't our progression be tied to finding increasingly more powerful weapons and gear? The fact that a P-1, with 100 hours in the game can find an Ancient Leg when a P-600 with a thousand hours in the game has yet to see one is ridiculous. It's like handing an Ancient Furnace to a Level One character just starting the game.

Seriously, Blizz, I don't see much thought put into how items roll in this game.
05/11/2015 06:45 PMPosted by PaulC
Randomise mobs more throughout the rift. If we start with zombies we don't get to keep zombies.
Same density for each rift.
Rift gaurdians a bit more equal with each other in their raw dps and toughness. Different encounters and mechanics is a good thing though. Scaling at higher levels in terms of how long you spend fighting them needs looked at too I'd say.
Pylons. Interesting area. I personally wouldn't miss them but I also get they add variance and change things up a bit. Given the more useful ones seem reasonably common then their use before the rift gaurdian doesn't bother me so much as the time you get to spend killing mobs with them should be fairly even and some variance is good. I think the main issue is pylon fishing for the rift gaurdian. Saving a channeling pylon for it as a monk is just insane in terms of the difference it makes. Maybe keep pylons but make them not work during the rift gaurdian fight?
Elite affixes has been mentioned a bit. The way some cause damage could be changed up. Already said how it could be done a few posts earlier but essentially make the hard/impossible to avoid ones percentage based.

Good idea on the more monster randomization! This would solve two problems at once. When I get a rift full of jumping beans I won't feel like quitting instantly, AND, rolling zombies won't be instawin anymore. I don't agree with same density for every rift (although changing densities within the same rift would great). Too much sameness leads to boredom :)

I also like making unavoidable damage percentage based. Jailer would still be a threat due to the loss of mobility :)
Dear Blizzard, stop screwing this game up. It's just fine now with only a few tweaks needed:

Either more Torments or allow regular rifts to have ranks. Currently all 10 of my characters can be played 4man T6 solo while I watch TV and the rest of the party is AFK. Super, duper, boring and means pubbing is basically a no-no.

Allow loadout saves - how am I supposed to try out new builds with limited space, characters, and a mess of skills/items to remember?

No more non-dodge insta kill effects: frozen should not do damage during its build up. Jailer should do no damage or % based.

Fix friendly fire effects so we can see WTF is going on, at the same time please make Voracity/Ghom's poison visible again.

Otherwise I am pretty happy - classes appear to be fairly balanced and have at least two playable options on the high end.
I'm never upset when I die from things I could have avoided (Arcane, molten, plagued, mortar, etc.) ... But things like Jailer, Reflect Damage, and the lightning strike (I forget it's correct name) that are completely unavoidable at times need to go.

For example, I play with a friend who does the new Demon Hunter set and uses Meticulous Bolts with the slow elemental arrow - Ball Lightning skill. If he casts that to kill a mob, and a reflect damage elite comes from off screen - there is no way he'll survive - he's dead no matter what.

Things like that need to be removed, in my humble opinion.
Its going to have to be one amazing patch to remove CC and make greater rifts more "consistent Greater Rift experience".

The game offers no real choices when pushing the limits of a character as DPS is almost always the best route to get around progression. Kill stuff faster so it does less damage. I have never felt adding more defensive items or defensive legendary gems would help me progress further. Developers would need to make huge changes to the game to change the current mechanics.

There will always be a point at which you cant progress unfortunately for Diablo it highlights the flaws in the game.

Optimistic.....no.
so once they take out the ability to get that massive exp bonus as support character.... there will be a huge gap between the players who benefitted from it this patch and those that never will.

any solution to that. . or is it just oh well ..nothing can realistically be done about it.
05/12/2015 06:22 AMPosted by Szythyxs11
Is anyone else sick and tired of people complaining about Jailer, Lightning, and Frozen? How about L2P? Jailer feels like a tickle even at GR 50+ if you have 96% CC reduction - add it to your items, and you don't worry any more. Lightning and frozen only really hurt if you are standing still for long periods of time. Save that teleport or vault for the time your really need to escape.

That sounds magical until you run into a 3+ pack blue all with frozen or thunderstorm. 1 tick from either of those hits like a mack truck at 45+. Now add in 2+ more unavoidable ticks and there goes awareness or whatever "oh sh*t passive you have" so that 3 seconds later you get to die do to no fault of your own. Oh and hey, let's stack CC reduction at the cost of DPS so killing mobs with 100+billion health becomes impossible. Jailer is one type of damage in this game out of hundreds yet I'm supposed to balance my entire gear set around it?

Fanboi on bro.
05/12/2015 07:47 AMPosted by marsovac

This x100. But it shouldn't just be about zombies. I shouldn't get 3 maps in a row filled with lacuni stalkers, corrupted angels (charging from parts of the screen that haven't even come into view) and winged assassins. I also shouldn't get 3 levels full of fallen peons, wasps and those things that explode into green gas when they die. I'm pretty sure all 3 of those mobs make your rift bar go backwards as you kill them.

People complain about this game's RNG, but I call complete BS on certain aspects of it. It's not a coincidence that every other pack on my slow ball DH has reflect dmg or every other rift is lacuni/winged assassins chain dive bombing me. However, on my barb I hardly ever see any of this but I do end up with Raziel as the rift boss the majority of the time.
Narrow corridor.

Plaqued/Molten/Arcane/Vortex toss in a Frozen/Thunderstorm and I just sigh and hope I can get a gem upgrade at the end since the timer became a moot point. Guess I should have played a ranged class.

The reason people are cookie cutter is because we have few viable options.

Examples of useless:
Consecration- Shattered Ground /100% weapon damage per tic.
Judgement - Conversion /20% chance to convert enemy below 25% health.

Run Shattered Ground and laugh at the damage. 100% weapon damage per second against mobs with BILLIONS of health.

Run Conversion and giggle with delight when you convert ONE mob in an entire run.
It's RNG MANG!

Quit putting our only options into 6 piece sets.

Adjust skills to increase in damage depending on the greater rift level.

Tier 1 - Grift 1-10 (weapon damage *2)
Tier 2 - Grift 10 -20 (weapon damage *4)
Tier 3 - Grift 30 - 40 (weapon damage *8)

Using greater rift 40 as an example that shattered ground mentioned above now does some damage and is a viable option to run.

Develop synergy between skills.

Example:

Every time you damage an enemy with shattered ground you gain 5% additional chance to succeed at conversion. 25% chance increase max.

Now even if the damage isn't the greatest I may still want to run shattered ground due to the synergy with trying to get conversion to proc.

Bottom line - Options. we want more options to overcome the challenges.

We do not want to be pigeonholed to using 8 pieces of gear, 3 legendary gems, 2 passives to make one build viable. All that just so we can smash into more RNG via tilesets/mobs/affixes.

Currently -
Infinite health invalidates a majority of skills.
Infinite damage invalidates a majority of skills.

That leaves us with cookie cutter that has been tested by thousands of players.
No options.