[GUIDE] Aether Walker - 3 Builds for 3 Metas

Wizard
Prev 1 17 18 19 25 Next
04/27/2015 08:24 AMPosted by Vox
Solo Greater Rift Progression (50-60)

None of this is foolproof and you will die a lot. Practice to improve.

Heh there's where I'm at after finally getting an ancient AW. I'm still working on getting used to the build. I've not tried it with Unity/CoE yet so maybe I'll try that. I know when I've tried FnR I get destroyed, some of it is due to bad grifts but most of it is getting use to the play style and keeping enemies stunned. It's a work in progress for me, liked the post.

I cleared a 54 last night using this build. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UPQlSf!WRhX!YYcbbZ

My gems were BoTT, Ice Blink, and Efficacious Toxin. I don't have a Taeguk leveled on season and I didn't think Zei's would be worth it.

Two questions:

Why Zei's since you are in melee a lot?
Would Audacity be better than 10% crit and 10% damage taken?

Frozen Mist offers substantial AP regen when dropped in large packs.

I used Frozen Mist with the build above instead of Snowbound as it procs from Halo, I wonder if it would yield more AP regen because of that. I'll have to test it out. Mostly I need to get better at keeping stuff stunned with Calamity. It also seems like Ice Blink + Cold Blooded would be an awesome choice here too.

Edit: Said I used Pain Enhancer, but I used Efficacious Toxin.
I am kind of confused. I was testing the t6 speed build out but when I do glass Cannon and don't have force Armor I seem to die almost instantly from taking damage from every direction at once. So I was looking at the thread for this on Diablo fans site and see this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEWcO0M5UWg

This guy is surrounded and seems to take not an ounce of damage ever until the rg.

Then I notice he seems to be recasting his storm armor every couple of seconds.
Is this some trick I have been missing out on?

I really want to make this build work but haven't been able to go any faster than my AW delrasha setup.
05/14/2015 07:17 AMPosted by DiGiTLMaN
Then I notice he seems to be recasting his storm armor every couple of seconds.
Is this some trick I have been missing out on?

No need to, the only reason i would recast storm armor is to keep taeguk stacks.

If you want to run T6 without worrying about Arcane Power, you need to understand stuff

First of all, the Helm PrideFall , 30% reduction cost to everything when not taking dmg for 5 sec.
To make sure that you are not taking dmg and always get that 30% RCR, make sure to play gizzard gem or dominance passif, or both :)

Speed bracer wont help that much in T6 because you are always teleporting instead of running.
So instead put Reapers Wraps.

Also Cindercoat is a big help for T6 because another 30% RCR for wave of force

I never run out of AP in my T6 setup. Take a look at it

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BigBen-1669/hero/48048956

Hope this help you.
Thanks for all the info but I am not sure you understood the issue. AP is not a problem. I'm just saying I watched that video and want to know how he was constantly surrounded by mobs attacking him and never took an ounce of damage. Does it have something to do with him recasting storm armor every couple of seconds. ?

I am not at home so I can't test it.
05/14/2015 08:14 AMPosted by DiGiTLMaN
Does it have something to do with him recasting storm armor every couple of seconds. ?

Storm Armor does not give any help about incoming dmg. Does not give any boost to your armor or anything else defensively
So casting it frequently does not help either (to not take dmg from mobs attack) !

To not take any dmg at T6, you have to have enough mitigation for that difficulty.
Like i said, shield with gizzard and the shield with dominance passif help in that way, so is your gear.

Try to have ancient gear with a lot of resist & armor.
Having a lot of Intelligence help too because int = all res
05/14/2015 09:15 AMPosted by BigBen
05/14/2015 08:14 AMPosted by DiGiTLMaN
Does it have something to do with him recasting storm armor every couple of seconds. ?

Storm Armor does not give any help about incoming dmg. Does not give any boost to your armor or anything else defensively
So casting it frequently does not help either (to not take dmg from mobs attack) !

To not take any dmg at T6, you have to have enough mitigation for that difficulty.
Like i said, shield with gizzard and the shield with dominance passif help in that way, so is your gear.

Thank you for your efforts, but did you watch the video?

I am not talking about me or my gear, the guy in the video has 13m toughness, runs glass Cannon passive, doesn't use gizzard gem, doesn't use dominance, and his life pool was never impacted for the entire rift until the rg hits him at the end.

Thanks
1:09 lose pride fall buff , so he did take dmg there
1:22 lose pride fall again

1:35 pride fall is back up , so from 1:22 to 1:35 he did get dmg because pride fall buff would have come earlier

2:11 pride fall drop again

2:17 pride fall come back up and right back down

You can also see that his AP pool is almost empty the whole run

The only thing that is helping him not getting touch is probably the 1sec stun from teleport - calamity !

Do you have more than 13M toughness ? For T6 runs, that is more than what you need.

When you have enough mitigation for T6 you will rarely see the life pool drop even when taking some dmg.
ouch i test solo build gr 50 more and more.
it s very hard for me i die a lot of time.
this build need practice more and more.
05/14/2015 10:23 AMPosted by BigBen
1:09 lose pride fall buff , so he did take dmg there
1:22 lose pride fall again

1:35 pride fall is back up , so from 1:22 to 1:35 he did get dmg because pride fall buff would have come earlier

2:11 pride fall drop again

2:17 pride fall come back up and right back down

You can also see that his AP pool is almost empty the whole run

The only thing that is helping him not getting touch is probably the 1sec stun from teleport - calamity !

Do you have more than 13M toughness ? For T6 runs, that is more than what you need.

When you have enough mitigation for T6 you will rarely see the life pool drop even when taking some dmg.

Pretty much this. The dude in the video is spamming teleport never letting it come off cooldown as well so the monsters are never hitting him except for a few ranged attacks here and there. When you have enough damage and toughness to do this its very easy to go through t6 with out losing your pride'sfall buff. just remember to spam calamity and position yourself correctly.
have a small dilema :

eye of etlich vs ancient cindercoat

is cindercoat clearly the better choice? with all the ranged out there, i find the eye quite useful.
havent really given cindercoat a fair shake yet, but i realize most (if not all :)) of you use cindercoat.

is this a simple case of, die slower or kill faster?

Heh there's where I'm at after finally getting an ancient AW. I'm still working on getting used to the build. I've not tried it with Unity/CoE yet so maybe I'll try that. I know when I've tried FnR I get destroyed, some of it is due to bad grifts but most of it is getting use to the play style and keeping enemies stunned. It's a work in progress for me, liked the post.

I'm going to try Unity today possibly, so let's try it and report back!

CoE is actually more damage than F/R [during the fire phase] - it's actually massive the amount of damage we pump out in six seconds. It's common for me to see 7+ billion damage Tal meteors dropping and I don't even have Meteor % on helm. Learning how to joust is a pain but the damage is sick, and you can be... sorta.. safe. Some RG are nasty to joust.

I'm using F/R right now.. in fact I've never used a Unity. I finally have two of them but the drop in my damage from swapping back to my crappy Tal Amulet seems like it would be awful.

HOWEVER.. I think I may just try Unity finally.. maybe that's why I am having trouble breaking 50 (can clear 49 consistently, have got awful 50 rifts every single time) because if I make a single mistake, or don't dodge a single projectile: I'm dead. Winged Assassins are especially frustrating.. one leaps in out of stun range between Teleport CD.. procs Unstable Anomaly.. push back occurs.. 15 winged assassins leap back in and one shot me again.
05/14/2015 09:51 AMPosted by DiGiTLMaN
05/14/2015 09:15 AMPosted by BigBen

I am not talking about me or my gear, the guy in the video has 13m toughness, runs glass Cannon passive, doesn't use gizzard gem, doesn't use dominance, and his life pool was never impacted for the entire rift until the rg hits him at the end.

Thanks

you are wearing ransors folly.. he was likely running Ancient parthan defenders
05/15/2015 07:14 AMPosted by GrizZ
05/14/2015 09:51 AMPosted by DiGiTLMaN

Thanks

I wasn't talking about what I am wearing, My gear changes every day as I have been experimenting with builds. The guy in the video is wearing Warz bracers not APD.

anyways, i watched it again and i saw the couple of spots where he took a tiny bit of damage and his health was immediately restored, he has a lot of LoK and LoH. But basically i realized he was very skilled with his teleports and was stunning everything before they could damage him. He has double my damage so killing twice as fast leaves much less chance of taking damage.

My main question was i did not understand why he kept casting his armor every couple of seconds. I tried that and nothing seemed to happen.
New wiz here...

Can someone state which skill(s) procs the APD ability so I can make sure to use it in a timely manner? Thx.
05/15/2015 07:38 AMPosted by SanFeng
New wiz here...

Can someone state which skill(s) procs the APD ability so I can make sure to use it in a timely manner? Thx.

For this build it is teleport with the calamity rune that performs a stun effect.
05/15/2015 07:34 AMPosted by DiGiTLMaN
05/15/2015 07:14 AMPosted by GrizZ

I wasn't talking about what I am wearing, My gear changes every day as I have been experimenting with builds. The guy in the video is wearing Warz bracers not APD.

anyways, i watched it again and i saw the couple of spots where he took a tiny bit of damage and his health was immediately restored, he has a lot of LoK and LoH. But basically i realized he was very skilled with his teleports and was stunning everything before they could damage him. He has double my damage so killing twice as fast leaves much less chance of taking damage.

My main question was i did not understand why he kept casting his armor every couple of seconds. I tried that and nothing seemed to happen.

Someone in this thread already told you reason why he's recasting storm armor I think. He's doing it to refreh his Taeguk stacks. You can do this with storm armor.
Hey Vox, i got your time beat for a 56 GR, 7:46 :)

Got pretty much the best rift you can think of, goats and unburied and then conduit and stonestinger to finish it off, don't think I've ever seen anything like it tbh. Sadly I forgot to record this time though.
edit: nvm, I'm using focus/restraint
So Vox, I've been trying to build and variants of it occasionally ever since I found an Ancient AW. While it runs perfectly in t6, I've found that it was unplayable in GR's with my gear. I'm fairly proficient with stunning, yet I was getting oneshot by stragglers all day. Every video I've watched with a comparable build had enough toughness to withstand these nigh unavoidable hits. I have decent gear with Delrasha, but with pure TR my gear is moderate at best.

Am I wrong to assume that this build requires atleast a few, if not most, of your gear to be Ancient? Seeing as there is no Force Armor to fall back on, I suspect that you heavily rely on toughness which is boosted immensly by Ancient gear? Even the Taeguk gem it's usefullness seems closely linked to having enough base toughness. I guess with a perfect GR, you could get away with very low toughness, but I hardly think you are counting on getting that perfect GR. Or am I mistaken?