Solo players, avoid even trying out seasons!

General Discussion
Prev 1 21 22 23 25 Next
The current state of the game (sadly) forces you into multiplayer. I agree, that the benefits from playing multiplayer are way out of line. The reasons are:

1. You can share loot. Thus if a party member (of the same class) is already bis you have doubled your loot chances just by playing with him.

2. On top of that you get the xp and drop bonuses. These bonuses are multiplicative thus extremly good.

3. You can split farm. The difference in an a1 bounty farm is 2min in multiplayer vs. 10min solo play.

4. The worst:The huge difference between solo GRifts and party Grifts. Most good players will (depending on class, playtime etc.) cap in a lvl 50-52 GRift solo. A four man party with the same decent gear will maybe reach 58-60. This difference is way too big. A solo players gem will never reach the gem level of a multiplayer.
On top of that some classes are never taken in a four man party lvl 55+. For instance ppl usually tell barbs: "Sorry but barb cant do lvl 55+". Thus u need a twink (crusader/dh/wd), that is taken in a four man party so u can level the gems u need for your barb to lvl 60.

To balance the equation in Grifts blizz could give the followers more usefull skills (or gems) that buff your charakter (e.g. Auras that increase as/dmg or reduce dmg).
04/23/2015 04:36 PMPosted by evok
Yeah reaching the end of my rope here in S3. Getting on towards Para 300 and still no unity. Given that it's single players that use this combo, I'm going to go so far as to say that we are not only not favoured in this game, we are being actively discouraged from playing seasons.

I have yet to see one leg drop for the templar only slot.

Don't get me started on the gift for weapon which is almost a need to push higher deeps on higher grifts.

Amzen - you really are missing the point of the thread.

More gear drops in groups means better chances to get those needed items to progress.

Solo players are lagging far behind in this aspect.

I and others did research and know exactly what we are doing.
The problem is not getting the loot to enact the build. Understand?
I play solo a lot and level just fine, my guess is you're not playing efficiently.

I am slightly over Paragon 650 and am getting tons of gear and experience solo playing...
I have 116 hours invested and I mostly, not only, play solo. I have fairly good gear but "only" 484 paragons. would be 800+ by now if I played in efficent groups.

not that it really matters. I have heard the season is 4 months. will have time to get gear/paragons. I would like to compete for top 10 on leader boards but trials already stop me from doing that so dont really care.
04/24/2015 04:08 PMPosted by Ganelon

More gear drops in groups means better chances to get those needed items to progress.

I very much get it...but I also don't entirely agree with the "i limit myself to solo so please buff me for choosing not to take part of another facet of the game" and I prefer soloing. I understand its about closing that gap and again closing the gap would be nice but I still can't agree entirely with the tone of the thread from many. This is an opinion on a matter that clearly not everyone agrees on.
04/24/2015 07:11 PMPosted by Amzen
04/24/2015 04:08 PMPosted by Ganelon

I very much get it...but I also don't entirely agree with the "i limit myself to solo so please buff me for choosing not to take part of another facet of the game" and I prefer soloing. I understand its about closing that gap and again closing the gap would be nice but I still can't agree entirely with the tone of the thread from many. This is an opinion on a matter that clearly not everyone agrees on.

So you like to play multiplayer. That's cool, to each their own. I have no problem with that. How would it hurt you if they made things a little more attractive for solo play? I am not asking for nerfs to your style of play why would you think mine should stay so much more unrewarding than yours?
something is wrong with your math or your playstyle i have played all solo on hc and have paragon 300 after 75 hours.
i played t1 for like the whole 1st week or so then doing t4 rifgts and now t6 rifts for the last 3 or 4 days. i used ruby in helm and cains set for the majprity of the t1 runs.

77 hours now and para 310: 8k elite kills, 280 rifts, 200 bountys.
maybe u jumped straight to t6 and needed like 3 mins for every elite ?
04/24/2015 01:16 PMPosted by Amzen
Confused by this...pretty sure every time a player joins a game the mob HP goes UP not down. If im misunderstanding I'd love an explanation. Granted theres an exp buff and higher potential kill rate so yea more exp though than solo of course.

I think you may be confused right enough. Mob HP does not increase by 100% for every player added. I think at the moment it increases by 75% but it has been as low as 50%. So even without synergy the party's killing power/speed increases relative to mob HP. Relative to damage output mob HP drops every time a new player joins. Now clearly since a group of 4 gets unseen bonuses from synergy and learning to play together it seems a little unfair that mob HP drops relative to their strength when compared to solo, wouldn't you say?

The increased XP from playing in a group is due in part to increased kill speed but it's also to do with XP increasing by 10% for every player added to the party. So a party of 4 has a multiplicative bonus of 30% XP before they even leave town. This also applies to gold find and MF.

I'm all for groups getting synergy bonuses and therefore that being the most efficient way to kill. There's always been that element of gameplay in RPGs. However, what I don't expect to see is dev bonuses for group play. 'There's 4 of you so we'll make the game easier' is not a position I understand from a gameplay point of view.
Lot's of hostility about solo play.

Guess what? Diablo STARTED as solo play.

I have been playing since pong on atari. I even broke/created world records on games I.E. Grand Prix. I am much older and play with friends when time permits. I also play with friends on Diablo III.

Being an analyst I see both sides of the coin. Bottom line - Solo play is lagging far behind in terms of drops and exp.

Solo leader boards? Really? You grouped up, collected the gear and Paragon levels then head off to a solo rift and say "WOHOO!!! I am the bestest solo dude(or gal, sorry ladies)".

You want true solo then Blizz needs to create it at character creation. NO grouping. Like Hardcore not being able to group with us more intelligent folk (I mean weak willed can't handle) softcore.

I have been a raid tank, a raid leader, clan/guild leader. Just because someone prefers to solo does NOT make them antisocial. I play mainly solo since I can hit escape and deal with real world situations. I also play with groups and help clan mates if they are looking to level up or acquire an achievement when time permits.

Bottom line - You want Solo Leader boards then they need to reflect SOLO play. NO grouping, NO power leveling, NO group bonus on drops, NO group loot sharing.

Wait...what? Now you have an issue about lack of drops and exp earned during solo play? Pay attention. This entire thread has been in regards to lack of solo play support.
this is the dumbest post I have ever read on this forum... and that is saying a lot
04/25/2015 06:00 AMPosted by BeastlyBeast
this is the dumbest post I have ever read on this forum... and that is saying a lot

No I'm sorry but if that's what you think that would make yours the dumbest post on the forum hands down. Do you have any idea at all what this thread is about? Great job Ganelon! Very much sums up the problems with leaderboards ATM. People who truly play solo have absolutely no chance at the top of the board. You can not compete with someone who's Leg Gems are over 60 not to mention their group acquired gear.
04/21/2015 12:39 PMPosted by Tyvalir
04/17/2015 07:13 PMPosted by zenguppy
Unless you level your character in pubs, both your paragon, and the mf drops necessary for timely progress will be denied to you.

04/17/2015 08:49 PMPosted by Kevmeister
I actually take the time to pick up everything, while playing in co-op felt rushed because we're playing with other players, and they may have the tendency of moving faster than we do, so much to the point you might get left behind despite playing together with others.

04/18/2015 12:09 AMPosted by EnragedN3wb
I do actually feel a little discouraged at times. There are times when I just want to play solo for a while with no one bothering me, or w/e. I think group play should be encouraged, but I agree that it feels more forced most of the time.

04/18/2015 11:57 PMPosted by TheTias
A lot of us, whether skilled, not skilled, or just not interested, have zero desire to carry or be carried by others, nor do we like being on somebody else's clock so to speak. When you're in a group, especially a PUG, there's always the stress of having to meet everyone else's expectations in the group. For many players, that doesn't lend itself to a conducive playing environment.

These are some very well-written and constructive thoughts, and I'm thankful you all shared them here. As a reminder, it's particularly helpful for us to hear not only what aspects of multiplayer versus solo play cause you to feel frustrated, but why they frustrate you too. Similarly, if there are things you happen to enjoy about multiplayer, that’s also good to know since it provides a nice contrast and helps us get a more accurate picture of what your current in-game experience is like.

I'll continue to watch this thread and pass along the constructive feedback I see. Again, sharing both the "what" and "why" creates the best feedback!

(And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.)
My number one frustration is when people make constructive criticism on these forums about the legitimate issues in your game, and because they are upset (understandably so some issues have been ignored since launch even tho they were promised before launch, PVP arenas for example), but because they are deemed "angry posts" that vital information goes unheard. This vital feedback they supplied you with in their post is ignored and dismissed because of the very frustration you speak of, and each patch is received there after without that vital input taken into consideration. I ask you here to re-think your policy to dismiss upset FANS of your game that come here and sometimes get a little to passionate about your game when telling you what is frustrating them while playing it. Think about what I'm saying because your job could be a lot easier.
I do not log in to 'like' or 'dislike' threads, so me logging in and 'liking' the original poster's comments is saying a lot.

I really don't like feeling punished for playing solo.
04/25/2015 10:34 AMPosted by LastRights
04/21/2015 12:39 PMPosted by Tyvalir
These are some very well-written and constructive thoughts, and I'm thankful you all shared them here. As a reminder, it's particularly helpful for us to hear not only what aspects of multiplayer versus solo play cause you to feel frustrated, but why they frustrate you too. Similarly, if there are things you happen to enjoy about multiplayer, that’s also good to know since it provides a nice contrast and helps us get a more accurate picture of what your current in-game experience is like.

I'll continue to watch this thread and pass along the constructive feedback I see. Again, sharing both the "what" and "why" creates the best feedback!

(And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.)
My number one frustration is when people make constructive criticism on these forums about the legitimate issues in your game, and because they are upset (understandably so some issues have been ignored since launch even tho they were promised before launch, PVP arenas for example), but because they are deemed "angry posts" that vital information goes unheard. This vital feedback they supplied you with in their post is ignored and dismissed because of the very frustration you speak of, and each patch is received there after without that vital input taken into consideration. I ask you here to re-think your policy to dismiss upset FANS of your game that come here and sometimes get a little to passionate about your game when telling you what is frustrating them while playing it. Think about what I'm saying because your job could be a lot easier.

There's this thing that developers forget about when they work on a game they are releasing to the public. It's not their game. Once it's released, people give feedback on what they like and what they hate and in this case there is a LOT of hate ignored from this community. They have to be submissive to their consumers and strive to provide a better product for the damn intended audience. Unless they're making it for themselves and in this case, I doubt that makes them more sales etc. So, It really makes you pose that question, "Why would they ignore all these suggestions?". There's many answers to that you can come up with. Laziness or if not laziness, lack of skill in handling the suggestions posed.

I remember my first experience on this game. Joining a public game and dying twice in T6 trying to get a ring of royal grandeur. They kicked me from the game because I died a couple times. Other times you join public games and people wait in town for you to do all the objectives and reap the reward and leave.

The RNG in this game is the biggest grievance I have. This seasonal stuff is supposed to be encouraging, yet, the way it's been implemented is the most discouraging content to take part in unless you're diehard competitive. Nobody is lining up to suffer through that RNG over and over. Only the masochists of this game like punishing themselves with RNG again 3 or 4 times a year. If you're at that point where good gear is even harder to find because you have decent gear now, finding the same item 5, 10, 15, 20 times in a day and it's not the one you were looking for is infuriating after a while. Then trading is basically disabled in this game, making everything account bound ruins the game for many people who have friends and don't play solo. You could be up to a month trying to perfect one character. What makes them think people have time to commit to getting gear on seasonal with these terrible item attribute mechanics especially when it can take so long to perfect gear. Again, only the diehards can compete.

Mix all this together, and you're getting kicked from seasonal games while trying to get gear that randomly rolls terrible attributes while the devs sit there and laugh their asses off at you for playing "their" game that they would rather update for themselves rather than their consumers. And they probably dont even play their own game. I've carried up several friends at this point. Once they get their gear they quit because it was such a battle getting them up to par.
04/25/2015 02:15 AMPosted by Ganelon
You want true solo then Blizz needs to create it at character creation. NO grouping.

This idea occurred to me also and sounds appealing enough to play as a separate mode to compete as a solo player.
just want to chime in,
i am a long time fans of diablo.
i am a father with 2 children.
so to provide for my family, i have to work full-time.

i disagree with you OP.
i can only play on weekend, and very occasional weekdays.
i only play seasons, and mostly solo.
and as you can see, i already got a decent barb (WotW full sets,BK oath, Paragon 200++), and i am very happy with my barb.
diablo has become my only stress relieving time.

sorry for my very bad english, because it's my 3rd language, and right now i am on office, so i can't properly grammar check n etc etc
I play mostly solo but when a clan member may need help or some in the clan may want to do some legendary gem leveling, I jump on board if I have the time. I get more enjoyment out of personal achievements solo then trying to achieve the same things in a party. I may have started out SC in Vanilla but when ROS hit, I got hooked up in HC and haven't gone back. There's something about HC I can't get enough of. Just maybe, I am thinking of going back to SC once I hit 1000 in HC, that's it. never know.
by the end of season 2 where i almost only played solo, i managed to get to level 745
the last 100 levels only took a very small fraction (a couple of days) of the entire time spent because i decided to play in groups where you basically get to abuse the exp gain system with power compositions while using an amount of bonus exp you wouldnt even be able to solo a grift 10 levels lower
if i had from the start, at that exp rate i would have been ~950-1000
thats 5 times as much exp for the same amount of time spent playing
thats a really large discrepency, to the point where its unreasonable and severely detrimental to your efficiency if you decide to actually solo
-edit: unless you actually dont care about running around solo being 1/5th of your potential level, then i guess nothing has to be changed because everything is great
-edit: oh yeah, and having gems 10 levels lower also, and the other lists of things that can span the entire page
I would say that it is only true if you want to have the highest paragon level possible in the season. Get the highest amount of achievement points possible in a season. Be on top of all of the leader boards in a season, no solo leader boards.

But if you are not looking for that. All you want out of seasons is to try out the new legendaries that are season only or wanted to try to see how far you can go in a season. Setting personal goals and seeing how close you can come before the season is over.
Personally I think it would be nice (mostly because I play solo) to improve the viability of solo play as an option. However, I highly doubt anything will be done to make solo play feel less gimped than multiplayer (season or otherwise). Especially if the design philosophy given by Kevin Martens in an interview is still the intended design for the game.

Here is the quote:
"The game is most fun when you can play with other people. To be ghetto-ed off to the side and not part of the real game, we didn’t want that to happen. This is an online game. We want people to play together."

In short, Blizzard wants group play, not solo play.

On a side. Personally I think most of the problems with solo play stem from the fact that a character's viability in this game is determined completely at random thanks to character power being so closely linked to gear (and gear drops being completely random). That is very dis-empowering to the player and can lead to players feeling like they've come up with the short end of the stick.

The best solution I can think of to this would be a system where you can slowly work your way to a guaranteed drop of an item that you actually really want. This would help players feel like they have some level of control over their character's viability in endgame content.

Not to mention it would give players another in-game goal to strive for.