Tal Rasha, Dynamo, F/R and Snapshotting

Wizard
1 2 3 5 Next
To snapshot something is to take a picture of it. Save an instance. No, not with print-screen.

Think of a cheap camera. You take a picture of an event, like a firework explosion. It's now saved somewhere. Except there are varying conditions in D3. Basically you can snapshot something to make it last longer than its listed duration. A firework explosion may last three seconds or whatever. You take a picture of it. Now it lasts for whatever amount of time until you decide to destroy the picture.

No, you cannot snapshot Tal Rasha's 6-piece buff.

Yes, you can snapshot the five stacks of Arcane Dynamo.

Yes, this means channeling spells and Hydras. Yes, for the entire duration of channeling spells and Hydra, they will be buffed by 60%.

No, other spells you cast (i.e. those that don't take attack turns, e.g. Explosive Blast) during the snapshot will not be buffed. What makes you think that? Game's not that easy. You'll have to re-ramp Arcane Dynamo for each spell.

Yes, you have to re-ramp Arcane Dynamo if Hydras wear off, you cast another one via Serpent's Sparker, reposition them, or you break your channel.

No, you cannot do this with Tal Rasha's 6-piece bonus.

No, you cannot do this with Focus/Restraint's (Bastions of Will) bonus.

You know what you can do? You can cast stuff before the buffs—and during—and the damage will dynamically update. This means your Meteors deal more damage even if you obtain the buffs as they're landing (post-cast, pre-impact). While I'm at it, this applies to all your damage. Not just Meteor.

Yes, this requires paying attention, even if you can't see all your active buffs.

Yes, you can reach a point where you're familiar with your cycle of spells and know when your buffs are up.

So yes, at some point you can partially play with your eyes closed.

You understand?

04/21/2015 03:59 PMPosted by Zarn
What, no comment on whether Flame Blades snapshots Hydra?

Guess what? Flame Blade buffs dynamically increase the damage of your fire spells, including Mammoth and Blazing Hydra.

Yes, that means your Hydras get stronger as you get more Flame Blade stacks, even while your Hydras are active.

No, you cannot snapshot this effect.

Yes, that means your Hydras get weaker as you lose Flame Blade stacks.

Yes, this also applies to other fire spells you happen to cast while obtaining Flame Blade stacks.

You understand?
Man I wish we could post images in this forum. This is the perfect time for a "Instructions unclear" meme. Go google it people.

Good post as always Jaetch. Although I sense more and more impatience in your threads lol.
You sound like you need to chill
04/21/2015 03:59 PMPosted by Zarn

How dare you.

I will add this.
Thanks for the info! This is how I thought it worked and it's great to have it confirmed.

Your tone though, you seem pretty impatient with the community. Feels like recently you've been less interested in helping people then putting them in their place.

Can never tell with text, missing too many social queues, but just something to keep in mind :-)
How dare you, I will post how I want.
What, no comment on whether Arcane Attunement snapshots Hydra?
What is snapshot?
When do my fireworks proc?
So you're saying I need to take a picture of my screen?
04/21/2015 05:44 PMPosted by percydaman
So you're saying I need to take a picture of my screen?

Take a printscreen, minimize and look at your Arcan Dynamo stacks. If they are below 5, go back into the game and take another printscreen after some more attacking. If they are at exactly 5, cast your hydra! Rinse and repeat.

This method has gotten me through the trials atleast, so I think it has a lot of potential.
If it's singleplayer you can pause it and plan out all your strategies. Just don't pause it for too long (half an hour?) because the server will kick you.
When does it snapshot my teleport??? :D
04/21/2015 04:00 PMPosted by Namcap
This is the perfect time for a "Instructions unclear" meme.

Instructions unclear; wife took a snapshot of thingie stuck in fan.
04/21/2015 04:11 PMPosted by Saoshyant
Thanks for the info! This is how I thought it worked and it's great to have it confirmed.

Your tone though, you seem pretty impatient with the community. Feels like recently you've been less interested in helping people then putting them in their place.

Can never tell with text, missing too many social queues, but just something to keep in mind :-)

Considering the amount of garbage that gets submitted here on a daily basis (Look at me I cleared gr 45 which wasnt even particularly high when all we had was crappy Firebird) I'm not surprised in the slightest. Clueless people giving !@#$ty advice annoys me a lot and thats what ppl here do all the time.
Still, regardless of how stupid and clueless posts are, as long as they are not against forum regulations they should not be met with any hostility. As that IS against forum regulations. Obviously this is a nice PSA that Jaetch posted, but I agree with others in this thread about his tone.
Part of being an active (and MVP) poster in these type of game forums is learning to positively deal with noobs/crap/stupid posts and always being the better man, rather than lashing out. One must control their annoyances.
I think some people would dress up in Wizard costumes if they could. Diablo 3 is not a skill game, so an elitist attitude around here is laughable.
I read the forums all the time, and I may once have known this info, but it had lbeen forgotten.

Thank you Jaetch.
Want to clarify about F&R - does spell that proc bonus already get buffed or only followup spells?