Tal Rasha, Dynamo, F/R and Snapshotting

Wizard
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
04/22/2015 01:29 AMPosted by Spektr
I think some people would dress up in Wizard costumes if they could. Diablo 3 is not a skill game, so an elitist attitude around here is laughable.

That's what people without skill would say. Do you think players like Reiko or jaetch are rank 1 again and again because they have superior gear to everyone else? Diablo might take less skill than other games but saying it doesn't take any is laughable.
I just need a haircut - seriously.......
Thank you! I haven been wandering about some of these points for a while.
Foamed milk is better than non foamed milk. You understand?
04/22/2015 03:38 AMPosted by Artemis
04/22/2015 01:29 AMPosted by Spektr
I think some people would dress up in Wizard costumes if they could. Diablo 3 is not a skill game, so an elitist attitude around here is laughable.

That's what people without skill would say. Do you think players like Reiko or jaetch are rank 1 again and again because they have superior gear to everyone else? Diablo might take less skill than other games but saying it doesn't take any is laughable.

Okay so with skill he found gear by investing TONS of time grinding out a 939 Paragon Levels... with skill he used someone else's already Famous Flames-Blades+Double Mammoth build from season 2 (which he didn't participate in)

With skill he has a bunch of his friends who also spent ungodly amounts of time playing a non-skill game in order to earn the best gear, while using builds other people have already made, allow him to pretty much stand there and wail on targets that generally don't attack back.

Or how about using skill to spend an ungodly amount of hours in single player mode waiting for the stars to align as you fish for just the right Grift so that you can use someone elses pre-constructed build again to eventually get lucky and complete it?

What a joke dude. You have got to play a game like Chess... or Counter-Strike, or Starcraft, or 90% of the games out there so that you can learn the difference between a role-playing game and an ACTUAL skill-game.
Spektr, it sounds like you need to chill.
sry I'm picking up on bad behavior from our resident role model Jaetch.
You understand? Do you? Do you understand?
I am not a high GR runner, as anyone can tell by my profile, but I interact enough with people who are to know that the higher the GR level, the more important skill becomes, and the less important activity becomes.

Sure, you still do need to invest a million hours into finding ancient everything. But once you've done that, further upgrades become exceedingly rare, and exceedingly less impactful. Going from, say, 465 to 470 CD is not going to get you to the next GR level. Insert picture of a bell curve here.

Sure, you still do need to invest a million hours into finding a very good Greater Rift, and similarly, the better the rift you've found, the less likely it is that you'll find a better one. Insert the exact same bell curve picture here.

The various top 20 GR rankings are composed pretty much entirely of people with access to the exact same information, almost identical levels of gear, and a roughly equal amount of time. What remains is the skill. Skill won't get you from #1000 to #1, but it will get you from #20 to #1.

Whether that makes Diablo 3 a "game of skill", I don't know. But disregarding skill altogether is rather silly indeed.
You're getting overly technical. Because technically EVERYTHING requires a least some level of skill, even if the game you play is counting rocks.

Yall have been on this game way too long if you think this is a skill game. You make more decisions in 5 minutes of any of those games I mentioned, than you do in 5 hours of Diablo 3 gameplay, and that's a fact, period.
Guys, relax. Of course gear plays a role, noone doubts that. And of course paragon levels have some impact. Btw, remember Jaetch's video from E1, when he did a GR38 (at that time that was quite high) without allocating any Paragon points?

But - knowing what you do both from a theoretical point of view and also being able to put this into action in practice certainly also has an impact. Larger then paragon by far at least.

I'm pretty certain that the more experienced players here could get to higher GR with my gear. I know that I die too often to avoidable damage, I know that I mess up the Tal rotation too often, I know that I don't position my hydras to max effect (Zei range), I know that I'm sloppy with AD stacks. I skip difficult elites not often enough, I misjudge the efforts vs. progress ratio for some mobs types, I herd too few mobs. I panic and use the potion when I would not have to, leaving the potion on CD for instances when I absolutely would have needed it, leading to dying too often again.

And the list goes on.

I'm pretty damn certain that the more experienced players like Jaetch, like Boozor, like Malakai etc etc (the list goes on...) do all of that much better than I do.

I really don't get why you are now jumping on Jaetch, who is one of the most helpful players on these forums here. Writing guides, explaining stuff again and again, creating tutorial videos for the community...

I totally get why sometimes, anyone doing this will get a little bit annoyed, when the same question is being asked over and over again in separate, newly created threads, even though there are probably 10 more with the same topic on the first page of the forum at the time of asking. Some people are really totally lazy.

So if you want to get mad at people, get mad at those that are rude and insulting and arrogant for no reason and not helpful at all, rather than getting mad at those that are helpful and are maybe annoyed once in a while.
04/22/2015 07:20 AMPosted by Spektr
You're getting overly technical. Because technically EVERYTHING requires a least some level of skill, even if the game you play is counting rocks.

My post refutes the 'skill means nothing' overgeneralization and replaces it with the rather more nuanced "skill will get you from #20 to #1, but not from #1000 to #1". If that's overly technical, then I'm afraid I can't help that.

04/22/2015 07:25 AMPosted by Garyas
I really don't get why you are now jumping on Jaetch, who is one of the most helpful players on these forums here. Writing guides, explaining stuff again and again, creating tutorial videos for the community...

No one is forcing you, or me, or Jaetch to respond to the hundredth thread asking what to reroll on a Furnace, or whether APDs works with freeze or not, or why AW is literally the worst thing that's ever happened in the history of the universe. If answering the same question over and over and over (and over, and over...) again makes you mad, then maybe the healthy option would be... just not doing that. Contributing to a hostile atmosphere hurts everyone and helps no one.

(And I am aware I do not always practice as I preach. No one's perfect.)

04/22/2015 07:25 AMPosted by Garyas
So if you want to get mad at people, get mad at those that are rude and insulting and arrogant for no reason and not helpful at all, rather than getting mad at those that are helpful and are maybe annoyed once in a while.

Plenty of madness to go around, there's enough for everyone. :)
Its okay guys, there plenty of jelly to go with your toast this morning.
04/22/2015 07:32 AMPosted by mzy
No one is forcing you, or me, or Jaetch to respond to the hundredth thread asking what to reroll on a Furnace,

True ofc. But you know, you see a question. You want to help, you answer. You see a similar one. You answer. And again. And again... then you start linking to your old answers. It's ok. And you answer again. And then sometimes maybe your answer is a bit shorter and less polite than usual (because not enough coffee or whatever) and BAM - someone jumps on you and insults you for being an arrogant sonuvab!tch (that's no offense, that's a literal quote from Catcher in the Rye, i.e. it's Literature! Relax everyone!).

Anyways - I'm a nice guy. I like to answer questions. Most of the time at least.
I'm not mad, you understand?

I'm poking fun at people. You know, drill this stuff into their heads if they don't understand it.

By the way, I had a long day yesterday. And before I left for the day, this guy at work started saying, "you understand?" to one of the interns. Then for some odd reason I heard Melkor's voice in my head, I guess mostly because I find it funny whenever Melkor starts ending lines with, "you understand?"

So I browsed through the first couple pages to see if I can catch sight of the same topic popping up numerous times—on one page—and drill the answer into people who either:

1. Don't like reading (by making a long post, this gets funnier)
2. Don't like using the search function (I wish there was a JLMGTFY tool for BNet forums)
3. Don't like reading (the more I think about it, the funnier it gets, especially when someone asks a question in a thread that already has the answer - true story)
4. Don't like watching videos (like in #3, I find it funny how someone will ask me a question on YouTube on a video that clearly already states the answer to his/her question, either in the video itself, the video description, or both)

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly mind answering questions 5,000 times. But to keep it interesting for myself at least (or perhaps those in the know who are in the same boat answering the same questions 5,000 times), I have to do something while I'm answering the questions.

In this case, that would be taking on a snarky tone while attempting to drill the answer(s) into people's heads. Some people got it right away that I was taking on this tone on purpose.

Others, well, probably didn't notice I was out of character. Almost on par with this one time in 2013 when I made a joke on the forum and 90% of people thought I was being serious.

Great, now it's not funny anymore when I have to explain myself.

Sigh.
04/22/2015 08:49 AMPosted by Jaetch
Others, well, probably didn't notice I was out of character. Almost on par with this one time in 2013 when I made a joke on the forum and 90% of people thought I was being serious.

TL;DR: Jaetch never is serious.

Did I get this correctly? ;)
Yes, you answered several questions I had in my head but never wanted to ask.
No, I didn't get offended by your tone.
Yes, I understand.
GOOD, you understand.