How the hell do the N6 players do it

Demon Hunter
Wow! This thread was very informative! I had no clue whatsoever about maintaining full hatred by continuously "tapping" Evasive Fire while holding down strafe. It's great but very tiresome. It reminds me of the old CM Wizards.

Here is a video for a nice visual aid on using the numlock to autocast.

https://youtu.be/JaAI8s8rft4
04/23/2015 06:35 PMPosted by noctred
feel like the difficulty of N6 is really overblown.

Depends on the player.

It can be a little annoying at first to get EF timing down so you don't try to fire it too early in the strafe animation,

It took me about 5 minutes to get the EF rhythm down. That said, I spent the better part of 6 months learning and training myself in the art of stutter-step etc, so...

Otherwise the mouse motions are more or less identical to vanilla stutterstepping - shouldn't be very difficult if you have a remotely decent level of precision with your mouse hand.

Exactly. However, to players who haven't cultivated their stutter-stepping skills it can be quite difficult, even daunting (I remember what it was like watching DiE in-game and attempting to mirror what he was doing).
I've found using both generator and RoV mapped to keys 1 and 2 much more comfortable and reliable than using other mouse button to fire them while strafing. Also Hungering Arrow works better for me as its fire animation is fast than EF and I don't have to aim it precisely.

I find N6 difficult to play too and cannot pass higher than GR42 while my Chakram UE allows me to reach GR48. Maybe if I put on F&R rings but N6 play style often gets me too close to mobs so it's rather risky and I don't think I could do higher than UE anyway. I'm amazed how many of you guys can do 50+ with it.
The numlock trick doesn't work when you hold down any key constantly (e.g. strafe).
04/24/2015 02:41 AMPosted by Estolon
The numlock trick doesn't work when you hold down any key constantly (e.g. strafe).

I noticed this too and then remembered the twitch video in this thread. The guy mapped Strafe to the right mouse button and Evasive Fire as a numbered key. Then you can hold down Strafe and continuously tap Evasive Fire to maintain hatred.
I would also suggest changing some key binding.
I would change force move to your scroll wheel (do both up and down)
Swap your skills with primary on the right click and strafe on your right click. You need elective mode turned on for this to work.

This just seems like a more natural setup to me.
I've been doing 46 (maybe 47?) with my current set up. I can't see your set up so I can't comment on that. Nats is definitely more RNG dependent than M6 (never played UE). Poison bees and other spread out monsters mean a very slow rift. I use stampede rune. Phys/Lightning runes will be more consistent but the damage cap seems much lower so they are better for T6.

A couple of notes:

1) I haven't been able to survive without Unity. So you could try with that until you have more practice. I think BIS ring for other hand would be seasonal cooldown ring but I play NS. I'm using the CoE ring for now.

2) From my experience CDR is key. I favor it on shoulders over RoV damage, and one of my rings I rolled to CDR over CHD. My biggest problem has been clearing trash, so more CDR helps for that. More frequent RoV beats higher damage RoV when I one shot most non elites anyway with my belt proc. Also you want as close to 100% uptime on damage reduction/increase as possible.

3) Pay attention to attack speed breakpoints for strafe, if your'e strafing. the IAS on my gloves puts me just over one of the breakpoints, and that seems helpful. But I think CDR is overall> attack speed because of hatred issues. So I would not go all out on hitting the highest possible breakpoint. I might be wrong on that though.
I don't care for this build for greater rifts but it is extremely fun and fast to clear t6 rifts, i can clear t6 rifts in 2-3 minutes, but it is harder to play than UE or M6.

I don't have bleeding edge gear but it still is fun give it a chance, I didn't like it either at first...
Anyone have a diablofans link to a build? :3
04/24/2015 01:18 PMPosted by OhMyItsAPie

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/337h9q/ama_natalias_gr55_solo_dh_currently_1_us_seasons/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/33imar/solo_dh_tier_59_with_natalya_set/
04/24/2015 01:18 PMPosted by OhMyItsAPie

I included the link to the Diablofans build in the Sticky.
I've had some issues playing nats as well. The damage is clearly there. I think the largest issue I had was ditching vault for smokescreen. Makes a huge difference imo. The other issue I've been having is I can't really out range really nasty affixes like thunderstorm and jailer since so much of your damage comes from the belt. On the plus side stampede can quickly give you some breathing room if you get surrounded.

So far I've completed a gr 45 under 10 minutes with sub optimal gear. For comparison sake my UE build got me a 48 in under 13 minutes.
I'm not sure if it's my mouse and keyboard setup (both are wireless through the same usb dongle) or what but I'm having serious skill queue issues. Sometimes I'll click my EF button, the strafe animation seems to stutter but the EF never actually fires (no hatred returned). Also, I have to sometimes smash my RoV button several times for it to override the current strafe animation. Does anyone else have this issue? It makes the build almost unplayable for me.
04/24/2015 09:51 PMPosted by Mansman
I'm not sure if it's my mouse and keyboard setup (both are wireless through the same usb dongle) or what but I'm having serious skill queue issues. Sometimes I'll click my EF button, the strafe animation seems to stutter but the EF never actually fires (no hatred returned). Also, I have to sometimes smash my RoV button several times for it to override the current strafe animation. Does anyone else have this issue? It makes the build almost unplayable for me.

I have the same issue but for any setup, not just N6. I've started to come to terms that I'll never be able to get to really high grifts because of it.

In T6 and medium level grifts, a second delay isn't that bad. I might take a hit but it's weak so not big deal. In higher grifts, there's no room for mistakes or lag. If I have to hit my ROV button twice, that extra second is what might kill me. With UE, I'll point my mouse to the monsters and fire a multishot but it fires the opposite way because a second ago, my mouse was on the other side of the screen (same with ROV actually). With MS, it uses hatred I can't waste. With ROV, I have to wait for the cooldown again.

And don't get me started on the vault lag. Sometimes I have to wait 2 seconds for vault to kick in. SS often has less lag but sometimes it has a full second lag. I might be able to withstand one hit from thunderstorm but not two and that extra second delay kills me.

I figured it was just that my laptop isn't good enough (it's a high end laptop but the graphics card is just average and not gaming focused) and I'm not going to buy a new computer for this game so not much I can do.
04/25/2015 05:34 AMPosted by Thanos
I have the same issue but for any setup, not just N6. I've started to come to terms that I'll never be able to get to really high grifts because of it.

I feel yer pain. I'm loving the strafe/N6 playstyle, but I'm building around my skillcap. I don't have the best reflexes and I have problems losing the damn cursor all of the time. I like the idea of the Crashing Rain belt, but if I miss it's just wasted DPS. I decided to go with a Sash of Knives w/615% WD proc. At my current APS that's well over 6000% WD over the course of the 5 sec RoV buff, and they pierce too. I'm also using the Dark Cloud rune for RoV. The fact that it moves with you and auto targets makes it great for applying Pain Enhancer and Toxin damage procs. I can LoS mobs and still deal out damage. I guess my whole premise for this build is to have as much damage rolling over the course of the 5x damage buff. Also, with the Zodiac ring, by only recasting RoV every 5 secs, I'm getting great uptime on Vengeance which keeps hatred up and it's another 400% WD per attack cycle. I'm still working out the kinks as I've only had the build going for the past few days, but that's my N6 for the gimped.
...Also, I have to sometimes smash my RoV button several times for it to override the current strafe animation. Does anyone else have this issue? It makes the build almost unplayable for me.

The best way to overcome this is to press Force Stand Still + RoV. I know many map their mouse scroll wheel (up & down) both to Force Stand Still. I find the caps key works best for me since my pinkie rests comfortably over it naturally as opposed to the shift key.
For me this is already second nature. I was running a stutter-strafe build pre-ROS using Bola/Strafe with Windforce.

I'll echo the best words of wisdom- Force stand key is your friend. I put strafe on left click and generator on right click.
04/26/2015 07:47 AMPosted by Rav1n
For me this is already second nature. I was running a stutter-strafe build pre-ROS using Bola/Strafe with Windforce.

I'll echo the best words of wisdom- Force stand key is your friend. I put strafe on left click and generator on right click.

See my problem is not casting the generator while strafing, but holding my position or kiting away from the mobs while still shooting the generator in that direction.

I've never had to stutter step with a build before(being mostly a Crusader/Wizard player) so I checked out some videos on youtube and all the videos I found aren't using a skill like Strafe that auto moves.

I found this video, but it's just the combat and you can't see his mouse for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxzZhx0iwzc

Can you provide a video or detailed description of how to do this?
The best setup for me seems to be assigning Strafe on left click and RoV on right click and Evasive Fire on number 1 key.

I hold down shift key (Force Stand Still) when I'm strafing with left mouse button and tap 1 to to fire generator and right click for RoV. This was the only setup I could find that didn't run into some skill queue issues.
04/26/2015 08:38 AMPosted by Acebaur
Can you provide a video or detailed description of how to do this?

Here's a brief vid I just recorded -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExG9d7O014

Hope that helps.