WotW6/IK4 CoE/LoH/LpFS build (GR54 video)

Barbarian
video: http://youtu.be/YtXAU8Ydy0w

I've been experimenting how to incorporate CoE into a WotW6/IK4 build but never was happy with the healing runes. If I used Blood Funnel with Whirlwind, I tended to get fury starved against some rift guardians which is very annoying. The Blood Lust rune with Rend doesn't heal that much against Rift Guardians. Since I have a bunch of ancient IK weapons I did some experimenting with not having any healing skill but rely on the healing on items and from paragon.

edit: I've done GR55 with 35k LoH on weapon. I preferred it initially but have since changed my mind to where I think LpFS adds more benefits (being able to heal when not actively hitting things/having an on demand heal when you have fury to dump/getting heals when using Rend, which is when you are most vulnerable). So if you have a choice, try 2k+ LpFS on your Boulder Breaker and if possible have some on your IK belt too. If not, having 30k+ LoH on your weapon should be fine.

Being able to sustain myself without any healing skill enables me to use a build that a) has no fury issues in any situation and b) makes good use of the CoE rotating elemental bonus and c) since it doesn't use Unity it's good for group play.

I don't use much elemental bonus on my gear but use +lightning on my bracers.

The build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#jhkcRP!ZbYj!cYcYbZ

WW - Wind Shear: Generates fury.
Rend - Mutilate: Chills enemies and gives 10% damage buff. The chill helps give Bane of the Trapped bonus to enemies beyond 15 yards.
CotA - Together as One : Since I don't use a Unity I need this for survival.
WotB - Insanity: For obvious reasons
War Cry - Impunity: Helps with survival
Battle Rage - Swords to Ploughshares: Lots of health globes help me, and more importantly my ancients, survive.

Passives are Ruthless, Rampage, Nerves of Steel and Weapon Master. Weapon Master and Wind Shear together with health globes makes me have enough fury for all Rift Guardian fights even with no paragon resource cost reduction, which means I just have to use rend three times during a WotB to be able to have it up permanently.

How to play: What to do is determined by what elemental bonus is active for the Convention of Elements ring.

Physical: Always try to use WW since the Dust Devils get a massive damage bonus.
Lightning: Always try to use WW since you get a bonus to the damage of the actual WW (but not the Dust Devils)
Cold: Try to use Rend for a up to 200% damage bonus during the first ticks. If I can squeeze in three rends here I'm happy since they will then tick for 15 seconds and I have used all the excess fury I need to use to be able to refresh WotB just as it expires.
Fire: WW or if I haven't gotten enough rends in use rend here.

I manage to do 90% of the GR 53s I've tried no matter what map/mob types/rift guardians. The 54s have worked well up to now, including kills of such annoying rift guardians as Ember, Bone Warlock and Bloodmaw with no use of pylons.

The video I took was the first 54 I tried with the build and it was a rift filled with as annoying enemies as you'll find (Sand Wasps, Exarchs, Terror Demons and Succubi) with Perdition as rift guardian.

Here are my defensive and healing stats (/w War Cry up): http://oi58.tinypic.com/2119qc1.jpg
05/05/2015 07:34 PMPosted by Freudian
Cold: Try to use Rend for a up to 200% damage bonus. If I can squeeze in three rends here I'm happy since they will then tick for 15 seconds and I have used all the excess fury I need to use to be able to refresh WotB just as it expires.

Have you checked to make sure that your rend bonus stays? From my recollection, rend doesn't snapshot but rather updates dynamically.
05/05/2015 09:02 PMPosted by Endeavor
Cold: Try to use Rend for a up to 200% damage bonus. If I can squeeze in three rends here I'm happy since they will then tick for 15 seconds and I have used all the excess fury I need to use to be able to refresh WotB just as it expires.

Have you checked to make sure that your rend bonus stays? From my recollection, rend doesn't snapshot but rather updates dynamically.

It's possible. Either way, the more big ticks at the start the better.

From what I understand, Rend damage isn't that big in relation to WW so as long as you don't apply it during the lightning/physical phase it should be fine.
Interesting build and one I had want to test. What is the ST DPS (1b+)? Is the damage boost of COE sufficient to justify the loss of Unity?

05/05/2015 09:02 PMPosted by Endeavor
From my recollection, rend doesn't snapshot but rather updates dynamically.

Indeed, rend does not snapshot COE bonus. It updates dynamically.
05/05/2015 09:16 PMPosted by DAKKON
Interesting build and one I had want to test. What is the ST DPS (1b+)? Is the damage boost of COE sufficient to justify the loss of Unity?

I had 1.24b DPS this fight. I think I have around the same damage with a unity build (using four damage passives and +dmg% IKBB).

The real benefit to the build is the ability to line up mobs and do a Dust Devil run towards them when the physical buff is active, hitting them for massive damage. I wouldn't say I'm that good at it yet but I'm starting to learn.
05/05/2015 09:33 PMPosted by Freudian
I had 1.24b DPS this fight. I think I have around the same damage with a unity build (using four damage passives and +dmg% IKBB).

That's a respectable amount and would be competitive IMO with the current meta of physical W6 / IK4 or pure W6. Good luck and update on the process.
It's possible that with good timing of War Cry for fury you could get away with using Superstition instead of Weapons Master and still be ok with fury. The extra mitigation would certainly help at higher GR levels.

All the poison bosses/Agnidox/Perendi/Cold Snap will be fine. I just want to test and see if there are any issues with Stone Singer and Saxtris. If not, that's most of the killable bosses.
legendary gems? taeguk, bot and?
05/06/2015 07:52 AMPosted by feeex
legendary gems? taeguk, bot and?

Taeguk, Bane of the Trapped and Pain Enhancer.
hmmm. maybe i should stay physical but swap my ancients to TAO. Then I can use RoRG and COE and swap my follower ring to Bul Kathos ring.
I use a similiar build with blood tunnel for WW instead of wind shear. Plus one different passive since I am using up low and mid 40 keys.

if I can find an IK weapon with Loh I will give it a whirl (sic).
How to play: What to do is determined by what elemental bonus is active for the Convention of Elements ring.

Physical: Always try to use WW since the Dust Devils get a massive damage bonus.
Lightning: Always try to use WW since you get a bonus to the damage of the actual WW (but not the Dust Devils)

This is pretty awesome. Thanks for breaking it down.

I'm impressed you are clearing 54s so consistently. Nice use of Life on Hit.
Very Impressive, good to see a Lightning build tearing it up like that.

Out of curiosity, what do you have set up for gear on your Follower ?

Thanks, and Thanks for sharing OP.
05/06/2015 01:10 PMPosted by Haybaler

Weapon: Eun-Yang-Do with damage re-rolled to lightning. It chain-freezes rift guardians at below 19% health.
Ring: Wyrdward: Stuns enemies when using lightning attacks. That's why I re-rolled the weapon damage.
Amulet: Dovu Energy trap. Increases stun duration.
Shield: Freeze of Deflection. Freezes enemies when blocking.

Skills: Heal, Loyalty, Charge, Inspire
05/06/2015 01:39 PMPosted by Freudian
05/06/2015 01:10 PMPosted by Haybaler

Weapon: Eun-Yang-Do with damage re-rolled to lightning. It chain-freezes rift guardians at below 19% health.
Ring: Wyrdward: Stuns enemies when using lightning attacks. That's why I re-rolled the weapon damage.
Amulet: Dovu Energy trap. Increases stun duration.
Shield: Freeze of Deflection. Freezes enemies when blocking.

Skills: Heal, Loyalty, Charge, Inspire

Thanks , I appreciate that. It looks like my follower is set up very close other than ammy. The ammy I got on him is awesome.

Right now I am kind of stuck at tier 50 , I almost broke 51, missed it by a half a minute, I seem to be missing enough time to kill RG by the time I spawn him. Dying is not a big problem for me , it's the timing on my killing .

I tried your build last night and I did very close to the same as I am currently doing it seemed. The only way I think I can get further at this point is to get out of my habit of killing every elite which eats up the timer and try to focus more on the mobs in the higher Grifts..
OKAY! Just cleared a GR54 no pylon fishing vs Bloodmaw. Pure Lightning build. I could see this build going a lot further.

WotW6/IK4
RoRG
CoE
Reapers Wraps
Maras

Trapped, Pain Enhancer, Taegouk

WW - Wind Shear
Rend - Lacerate
COTA - TAO
War Cry - Impunity
Battle Rage - Swords to Ploughshares
WotB - Insanity
^Grats man
05/06/2015 03:11 PMPosted by Beeotch
OKAY! Just cleared a GR54 no pylon fishing vs Bloodmaw. Pure Lightning build. I could see this build going a lot further.

Since Rend changes damage dynamically, you could use any rune without it mattering that you use it during cold/fire CoE stages. I could see the healing one being good at GR55+ since incoming damage is quite high.
05/06/2015 03:42 PMPosted by Freudian
05/06/2015 03:11 PMPosted by Beeotch

Since Rend changes damage dynamically, you could use any rune without it mattering that you use it during cold/fire CoE stages. I could see the healing one being good at GR55+ since incoming damage is quite high.

yeah im actually going to test that right now. might be a good substitute for not having LoH