Dashing Strike - Hitbox/AOE question

Monk
Hello Monkbros!

Barb vet here looking for some quick questions for my alt monk. I looked though heisenburg's mechanics thread but didn't seem to find what I was looking for.

1) What is the exact range of the dashing strike AOE in in-game yards?

I often dash into a pack and see the whole pack die...or sometimes barely get tickled.

2) Is there a difference in hitboxes/AOE size for the different runes of DS or are they all of the same?

More of a philosophical question about Dash Set:

The mechanics of Dash seem odd as it relates to the set? Why does DS require a charge at all with the set? The logic seems to check for a charge first...then allows you to use spirit-driven DS if a charge is present...is this a bug or intended? Has blizzard actually shared any "philosophy" with you guys on why this works like this?

P.S. Dashing Strike build is fun! Even for a monknoob like myself! Great work on the guides/compendiums!

Hello from the land of the Barbarians!!

:D
Hi Pri the sandwich guy.

The most information I could gather about DS regarding it's hitbox is:

As for dashing strike, think of each mob has having a hitbox. Imagine an oval or circle centered around the mob, and any type of aoe or other damage strike which lands within that box will hit it. Bigger mobs usually have bigger hit boxes, smaller mobs, smaller, etc
When you use the basic DS, you are going from point A to point B, and doing damage along the line (think of it as a sort of directed AoE dmg), including the end point. Runes might modify how the damage is applied, but effectively this is what is happening. Any mob's hitbox which this line travels through will be hit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monks/comments/32f6zy/quickie_about_dashing_strike_monk/

I haven't come across any specifications on Dashing Strikes actual hitbox. It appears to be alot less than Furious Charge. From what I've seen and prior knowledge, I would put it at around 2 - 4yd max(the old set bonus had a range cap to 15yd for the 6pc); the animation is quite similar to one of another spells in a Blizz game as well.... Time to bug Davlok. :D

05/13/2015 09:25 AMPosted by Pri
Why does DS require a charge at all with the set? The logic seems to check for a charge first...then allows you to use spirit-driven DS if a charge is present...is this a bug or intended? Has blizzard actually shared any "philosophy" with you guys on why this works like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iekKDBlFAd4

^Don Vu explains that there's technical limitations to make it the way they wanted it - "...the technology isn't there yet..."
The reason DS is the way it is, is because. That's why.

Seriously: DS by default uses charges. Just charges. Without the Raiment set you just get 2 (or 3) charges with a cooldown. It was never intended to be spammed, but the developers decided to include a DS set and knew that the default "charge" system would be insufficient to make a viable DS build that anyone would play. Just significantly reducing the cooldown would work, but I think they wanted to make resource management a concern for the player, fearing that just zipping around would get boring fast.
05/13/2015 11:06 AMPosted by Xuen
Hi Pri the sandwich guy.

05/14/2015 09:25 AMPosted by Blake
Davlok tested this here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16527322731?page=3#47

Thanks guys!

Monk Community OP!

Just keep dashing...!!!
Yep, haven't played Raekor in a while, but the patch notes said FC had s 20yd radius cone vs DS's 10yd = 1/4th the area >_<
Yep, haven't played Raekor in a while, but the patch notes said FC had s 20yd radius cone vs DS's 10yd = 1/4th the area >_<

Do you think the damage area is fine enough as is or do you think it needs to be brought up. I think it does personally.