All we need is an economy...

Items and Crafting
With this game being out for as long as it has i'm shocked it doesn't have an economy again. For the same reason Blizzard wants you to pick up purple balls in grifts (and I like doing that) this game needs an economy. It's more fun with it existing. Not only that it's something else to do, it makes the game look more active and alive, and you are always chipping away at progress. Its more loot and more fun. I'm not acting like we should trade gear either. Maybe it can be like runes in Diablo 2 where you can customize gear and they are trade able. Maybe it can be items like the gift and it takes x amount of some item to create one and those are trade able. People complained about the auction house because you would have to spend half your time searching it for good deals and everyone just wanted to play the game. Now all we do is grind rifts and grifts. We need an economy so we can take a break from killing monsters and sell/trade to customize your character and give you the break needed to crave killing monsters again. This could potentially fix a large chunk of the current problems if done correctly.

Any thoughts on this?
Economy? What for?

So that I can pay bilions to have <100 main stat more?

They would have to greatly reduce drop rates on best items, nerf sets so that most/every legendary can be useful, buff yellows so that they are usable, remove mandatory stuff like crit stacking, sockets on every jawellery and weapons and do many many other things to actually make loot diverse, interesting and valuable.

And that is not happening, and even if by chance it would be, we would need to wait years at the current blizz's pace.

Deal with it. Trading is not coming back. Trash itemization and oversimplified item design made people think that auction house was actually the one to blame. Bringing it back would cause yet another public outrage.
We need an economy so we can take a break from killing monsters and sell/trade to customize your character and give you the break needed to crave killing monsters again.

Or "we" can take a break from killing monsters by you know... actually taking a break from the game. This game in no way shape of form needs an economy, it could however us a strictly >>COSMETIC<< micro transaction shop.

Anyways I personally completely disagree with your entire premise of the game requiring an economy (ie you indirectly implying it needs an auction house back). It would not solve a single issue with the game.

The prevailing problems with this game include (not exhaustive):
1) Non-existent bag space

2) Far too randomized end game progression (ie fishing for good Grs is basically end game)

3) In my personal opinion they went way too far with the amount of RNG involved with drops (ie not only do you need items to roll perfect they have to roll ancient on top of it double dipping RNG is not required)

4) The power spike differential between ancient weapon vs non-ancient weapons is far too wide, especially in comparison to all other gear slots.

5) Non-existent balance in competitive group play.

Those are just a few that I quickly though off, there are others. However not a single one of those primary concerns would be even remotely addressed with an "economy".
I'd like an economy only if items were not permanent. If they had us craft items out of savaged affixes, that would destroy a lot of items. The problem is that the market will get oversaturated.
05/18/2015 12:38 PMPosted by Incognito
We need an economy so we can take a break from killing monsters and sell/trade to customize your character and give you the break needed to crave killing monsters again.

Or "we" can take a break from killing monsters by you know... actually taking a break from the game. This game in no way shape of form needs an economy, it could however us a strictly >>COSMETIC<< micro transaction shop.

Anyways I personally completely disagree with your entire premise of the game requiring an economy (ie you indirectly implying it needs an auction house back). It would not solve a single issue with the game.

The prevailing problems with this game include (not exhaustive):
1) Non-existent bag space

2) Far too randomized end game progression (ie fishing for good Grs is basically end game)

3) In my personal opinion they went way too far with the amount of RNG involved with drops (ie not only do you need items to roll perfect they have to roll ancient on top of it double dipping RNG is not required)

4) The power spike differential between ancient weapon vs non-ancient weapons is far too wide, especially in comparison to all other gear slots.

5) Non-existent balance in competitive group play.

Those are just a few that I quickly though off, there are others. However not a single one of those primary concerns would be even remotely addressed with an "economy".

Let me be clear here. I said in my post I dont want gear to be tradeable just small upgrades with different benefits to make trading a thing. Josh said it in GDC that he wants to focus on certain fundamentals so lets look at YOUR problems and the ones I see.

1. Focus on the fantasy/epic heroes

-All heroes have to use the same sets to be competitive. You say you don't want ancient weapons but if they didn't exist everyone would only have about 3-4 days worth of playing to have the best character. Ancient weapons are fine.

2. Endgame for EVERYONE

- I know you just dismissed my economy wish like I am crazy but this here shows it can be a priority. stashing seven sets of wastes gear and complaining about stash space isn't a priority. I'm sure this will be fixed but i'm just saying having that as your first complaint is not warranted.

-Having an economy would more than likely benefit the 1000+ hour players who want to have the epic heroes be just a little better than others. Endgame can be improved and and economy would be a huge step.

3. Make Online Matter.

-How else can you make this game better with an expansion? Getting loot has been fixed. Rifts and grifts are amazing and thats all you need to keep expanding on. What would qualify as something you would spend 40$ on? Not having ancient weapons anymore so you can get the best gear that much faster? No. Character customization and depth. What else can make online matter more than having a trading experience that can potentially help all three pillars Josh talks about.
How else can you make this game better with an expansion? Getting loot has been fixed. Rifts and grifts are amazing and thats all you need to keep expanding on. What would qualify as something you would spend 40$ on? Not having ancient weapons anymore so you can get the best gear that much faster? No. Character customization and depth. What else can make online matter more than having a trading experience that can potentially help all three pillars Josh talks about.

They never give up do they . trade is dead and buried you can make all the reasons in the world to bring back trade but it won't happen.