Current Ray of Frost Builds?

Wizard
I like Ray of Frost with the Black Ice rune. Used to run a build using the Light of Grace source for pierce. A lot of fun but not dominant.

Never tried the new tal rasha bonuses or Delsere's set...or the "Delrasha" combo I read about. But people seems to be pushing deep into the Greater Rofts with those sets, and my old build wasn't even T6 capable.

Is there a way to leverage those sets but use Ray of Frost? I'd love a killer ROF build.
Either build can use it - most folks use Blizzard Frozen Solid for the cold skill because of the CC and it's easy to use, but there is certainly no reason you couldn't use Ray of Frost there.

Fitting in the Light of Grace is harder, though. You could drop T&T, and run Tal's gloves and retain Focus and Restraint, but you lose a lot of dps, or you could drop F/R and run RoRG + CoE. Either case is a pretty decent dps loss though.

I'd probably just run the standard build with a Tal's source.
List of viable ray of frost builds:
tal set and f/r need you to break channel to cast other elements so idk...maybe no build.
05/11/2015 09:07 PMPosted by BeiJvA
tal set and f/r need you to break channel to cast other elements so idk...maybe no build.

It works fine - you have AD anyway, so you you get a 60% boosted RoF cold skill. All you are losing is Blizzard which is definitely not needed.
I've been playing around with Ray of Frost + Light of Grace with Tal's. This http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TinneOnnMuin-1187/hero/50212248 was my current progress before S3 started. Hadn't settled on a skill for the lightning proc, but with the low cost of Cold Blood combined with Conduit I have enough AP to pay for a Thunder Crash every 7-8 seconds so I was messing around with that. Not totally happy with it. Maybe lightning twisters with Ranslor's Folly? Something I'll be working on once S3 is over. Or maybe if I get a good cold weapon drop sometime this season. And a Tal's amulet with cold damage or a socket instead of lightning damage.

To use Black Ice, you'd probably want to use a cheaper AP cost skill for the lightning proc. I could see Black Hole: Supermassive fitting nicely there, although you'd want some CDR to make it really effective. In any case, if you want to get a Ray of Frost build to work, Tal's set is almost certainly the best option.
05/11/2015 08:48 PMPosted by Riv

Not sure how viable it is, but Dolynick made a RoF + Meteor build sometime during the last PTR, and it was rather fun when I tried it at the time. He posted it on our clan forums, here: http://www.forum.vizjereiclan.com/index.php?/topic/706-rofmeteor-snowflake-v220/

EDIT: As far as gearing, it was written before Tal's had gloves, so despite what it says it doesn't require RoRG to run 2H.

EDIT2: And seems to have been written before F/R/Tals got it's legs. Alteration of pretty much all builds to work with F/R will be required.
05/12/2015 07:15 AMPosted by Atanatar
05/11/2015 08:48 PMPosted by Riv

Not sure how viable it is, but Dolynick made a RoF + Meteor build sometime during the last PTR, and it was rather fun when I tried it at the time. He posted it on our clan forums, here: http://www.forum.vizjereiclan.com/index.php?/topic/706-rofmeteor-snowflake-v220/

EDIT: As far as gearing, it was written before Tal's had gloves, so despite what it says it doesn't require RoRG to run 2H.

EDIT2: And seems to have been written before F/R/Tals got it's legs. Alteration of pretty much all builds to work with F/R will be required.

Needs revision.

I haven't forgotten about it but I just never seem to find the time to sit down and play with the build in this updated version of the patch. Too busy with other builds I guess.

Major changes that would affect it and switch things up:
-Calamity now gives a stack so no need to give up teleport.
-Focus & Restraint might be a viable option if you keep the Smoldering Core in play for crowd control (This would be interesting if it worked) but I'm not sure what I would give up for a primary to trigger it.
-6s stack durations mean that Grand Vizier has a much stronger case now vs Smoldering Core.
-Unity+Halo+APD favors Grand Vizier over Smoldering Core as well (no need to draw them when you freeze on getting hit).

The last two in particular can shift this build away from even needing the RoF generator since a GV opens the door to meteor as a primary. This is the main reason I haven't revisted the build... because I just moved up straight to no generator versions.

Non-GV versions make sense still with RoF. I'm not sure if Smoldering Core would have any use any more or not, I would have to try it again (I think it would just interfere with halo+apd). It's main purpose originally was the crowd control, if that's not necessary then the weapon choices open up completely. Furnace becomes an option though and would open the door to higher damage output.

Aside from the above, the RoF+Meteor build should remain intact and functional. It just needs to be evolved a little from the original concept.

-dolynick
you can run a pretty decent rof build with tal6 + log + woh. just need to use either 8 apoc or 4 apoc + conduit to pay for the cost.
What is ray of frost?
Actually I think someone tried running it with Delrasha?
I can see how it would be extremely clunky, though.

You'd want to get the other 3 stacks from secondary animation skills. You can use Explosive Blast for frost or fire, and Diamond Skin for arcane - there's no way to get the third stack, so you have to reset channeling every 10 seconds or so. I guess its a decent fit for Delrasha since you'd need to refresh ST about that frequently anyway, and you don't run F/R so no need to worry about a generator. You can also run something more useful than diamond skin since you're dropping channeling anyway - and hey, teleport or twister/ranslors happen to be arcane as well.
^^

no animation skills that u could use: explosive blast, arcane orbit, frost nova, diamond skin.

but diamond skin doesnt give a tal stack does it? shards does?

problem is paying for eb + ao + rof. spamming ao will get too expensive unless u just use it for stacks.
That was me, Riv. The build was RoF, mammoth hydra with SS, seeker, and lightning bubble. The RoF is there for rift guardians and elites in situations when hydra can't lock on to the target all that well. As well, when hydras are going it gives you damage when you have to reposition or restack. I beat 49 with it a couple of times and there was potential for 50 if I was a more efficient player.
05/12/2015 08:25 AMPosted by Riv
I can see how it would be extremely clunky, though.

I ran it and liked it. It would be a much better build gameplay wise without Hydra, though. But currently Hydra does too much damage to not include.

Hydra makes it clunky because you have to AD charge two hydras (or just one when you have AD ready at the start of the fight), and THEN AD fuel RoF. Felt like I was juggling too many things.

Hydra gets what? A 2.5x multiplier about that RoF doesn't get (30% multiplicative hydra damage, 2x from Serpent Sparker, and 30% or so from T&T.) So if they could introduce a channeling item or items that could buff channel skills to around that power level, we could run it without Hydra and be in the same range. Might need to be around 3x to account for ramp up time and the fact that you are far more vulnerable, so you should have some power to offset that.
05/12/2015 08:49 AMPosted by ximae
^^

no animation skills that u could use: explosive blast, arcane orbit, frost nova, diamond skin.

but diamond skin doesnt give a tal stack does it? shards does?

problem is paying for eb + ao + rof. spamming ao will get too expensive unless u just use it for stacks.

Yep, shards give a stack.
Are you sure arcane orbit is secondary animation? I tried it and it visibly interrupts the channeling.
Frost nova won't help because you already have the cold stack.