New solo meta is kinda crazy

Wizard
just here to inform. Here in the EU, over the weekend, to wizards have passed GR60 and GR61 using a build based on TP calamity and meteor showers as damage.

No sparker or hydras involvled in this, just an aether walker.
One build used a crafted cosmic strand and the other used a cindercoat with TR offhand.
Seems very interesting. an RCR, calamity focused build with 2 variations. rings are bastions
I feel like it really requires near full Ancient gear to function properly though. You need the toughness to not get smashed like a bug by every single strangler.
How is that new?

Vox made a huge guide about it weeks ago. Skip to win.
Damn I wish I had an ancient AW.
Damn EU making us NA wizards look bad
Congrats to EU players on 60-61.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/17084779826

This is nothing new, variations of these builds have been around a while.
Probably needs a lot of fishing for good rifts though. Not intending to make it look like less of an achievement, just saying...
I want an Ancient Aether Walker. I've been passing up Ancient weapons left and right because I can't part with my non-Ancient one.
05/17/2015 01:37 PMPosted by BDF
Skip to win.

you don't sound impressed, but you are all praise in your leader's 70 grift achievement.
that 70 was done with perma stun, its so boring to watch, it puts me to sleep.
that wd perma stun is worse than skip to win.
It has nothing to do with being impressed or not. It's just a true statement, the power of that build is that you can skip stuff that is too hard / takes too long. Other builds might have more raw damage output, this build has great mobility and CC - all in all it currently comes out on top in terms of overall GR performance.
05/18/2015 06:26 AMPosted by Infinity
Skip to win.

you don't sound impressed, but you are all praise in your leader's 70 grift achievement.
that 70 was done with perma stun, its so boring to watch, it puts me to sleep.
that wd perma stun is worse than skip to win.

I think we can agree they're both bad. Whether one is slightly worse than the other, is an unnecessary exercise in futility
05/18/2015 06:26 AMPosted by Infinity
Skip to win.

you don't sound impressed

Nothing derogatory intended.

I just find it an amusing, but accurate way to describe the method. It is undeniably effective.
05/18/2015 06:20 AMPosted by Garyas
Probably needs a lot of fishing for good rifts though. Not intending to make it look like less of an achievement, just saying...

I thought so true, but then I decided to investigate further. After watching some Youtube videos and past streams, some of those guys were doing GR 58 like it was a cake walk, even with the worst enemy types.

I'm surprised I haven't heard or seen more of this build in the America forums.
Um, this is the US forums and Vox posted quite some time about the build here. I think only afterwards it became popular, so (at least to my knowledge) Vox takes the credits for the build.
may be vox posted first or may be not.. possibly the top guys figured through testing and never cared about US forums.

either way getting top is certainly lot of effort, testing! skip or stun or cheese or whatever the meta will be in season 4..

as it stands today EU > US..
05/18/2015 07:24 AMPosted by Infinity

Has been that way since the beginning for solo boards of most classes. At least until we get near the end of the season then the gap closes or sometimes gets reversed.
05/18/2015 07:24 AMPosted by Infinity
may be vox posted first or may be not.. possibly the top guys figured through testing and never cared about US forums.

either way getting top is certainly lot of effort, testing! skip or stun or cheese or whatever the meta will be in season 4..

Manye EU players frequent the US forums aswell. The EU forums are kind of dead.
The Calamity + APD + burn spam synergy has been known for at least two PTRs. Prior to TR6. Prior to Meteor builds. I posted about it here on US forums during the 2.1 PTR, and then again when I met with some surprising success on solo leaderboards with FB6.

But, who cares about the origin. I was motivated to work on the build and share it because it was making wizard fun again. Like, CM wizard fun.

It's pretty amazing that the solo meta is as diverse as it is. That is NOT easy and the devs deserve a huge thumbs up for the wizard changes this patch. There is just sooo much to explore.
Well, the whole basis for the build is really calamity + APD, which incidentally I tested over a year ago in 2.0.

So obviously if anyone is to take credit it's me, right?

Well, obviously not, that isn't how it works or has worked since the start of D3 and the CM days. Someone starts off with an idea, and then that gets reiterated upon, expanded and/or revolutionized and voila, an entirely new build has appeared. And just to be clear, I'm not trying to take the credit away from anyone, just spread it around a little ;)

Also, where do you draw the line and who gets more credit, the original inventor, who may have had a completely different idea of the direction of the build, whoever takes the idea farther and/or popularizes it or the one who takes it highest on the leaderboards?

Personally I give a lot of credit to the guide writers who can type up a comprehensive guide and comes back to the thread and give ppl advice on how to improve and whatnot. Like Jaetch, Vox and malakai just to name a few. That takes a lot more effort than I'm usually willing to put in, which is why they have my utmost respect in that regard. Or maybe the ones who make all the nifty little tools for us to use in our theory crafting like Apo, Dolynick or BDF?

Recently I have been browsing builds on diablofans a bit and there is almost allways a comment about how the build isn't original or that the guide writer wasn't the first to come up with it or that someone tested this a year ago and now comes to claim credit ;)

Usually not in a very friendly manner either, is it just me that thinks it's starting to get a bit ridiculous?

PS. I have video proof to back up my claim on the credit cake, it's even titled CM. 2.0, how conceited was I :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-QdMjH69gk

Edit: Vox beat me to it, brevity, I should learn that !@#$...