Melee hostile Saxtris changes in 2.2.1 (video)

General Discussion
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt_zeldSPso

I got Saxtris in a rift and what normally is a straightforward fight was completely different this time. I took so much damage because his tornadoes weren't moving like they normally do. They were all hovering around him, making him extremely melee unfriendly since you can't get close to him without taking massive damage. He's gone from a fight that was ok for melee to one that will be auto-quit for me if these changes stay. It's impossible to dps him half of the time with 3-4 tornadoes right around him.

He was one of the few rift guardians that was possible to fight as a barbarian on GR55+, so it's a very bad change for our class making an already small pool of rift guardians you can fight even smaller.
Man...that sucks. Maybe they just changed the twisters to more actively pursue you. Next time, try moving off far away from him. See if they follow you over there, then rush back and beat on him.
05/19/2015 10:48 PMPosted by StoneCold
Man...that sucks. Maybe they just changed the twisters to more actively pursue you. Next time, try moving off far away from him. See if they follow you over there, then rush back and beat on him.

No point fighting rift guardians you can't melee more than 50% of the time, which the kiting strategy would result in. Not only would I have no fury, but I'd also have to spawn him after 4-5 minutes to be able to kill him in time. That's not really possible unless it's a dream rift.

It would be a waste of time and it's better to just leave the game if he spawns now.
Son of a gun.
Yeah unsure if this was a bi-product of the changes for WW tornadoes to become more transparent.

The changes to these bosses will result in more auto-quits.

Sandshaper was already a pita for WW barb, but this will just make it worse.

Meanwhile...a DH somewhere smiles.
I had the same issue just now. I imagine it is a bug.
05/20/2015 08:22 AMPosted by Pri
Meanwhile...a DH somewhere smiles.
This is what happened. Nothing to do with transparency effects.
never expected it to be a bug just thought I had bad luck.
05/19/2015 10:48 PMPosted by StoneCold

nope, they stay stationary on him the entire time unless you move him, then he spawns new tornadoes around him
05/20/2015 03:46 PMPosted by TAG
I had the same issue just now. I imagine it is a bug.

This is correct. There is a bug with tornado behavior, and you'll see this somewhat confused wandering with any Rift Guardian that summons tornadoes (Sand Shaper and Saxtris included). We're currently investigating this issue.

To clarify, the tornadoes aren't attempting to stay close to their summoner; they're just changing directions too quickly. As a result, they won't travel very far from their spawn point. The behavior of the enemies themselves should be unchanged so, in the meantime, kiting the Rift Guardian away from a cluster of tornadoes should yield more desirable results.
Good news, saxtris wasn't so bad once he starts spawning and rampage is up and more bps:)
I hope for a quick hot fix to this. Kiting isn't really an option since you have to run several screens away to get him to follow or he'll happily stay and fight your follower/pets. So if you spend 20 seconds running far away and he follows he'll just start spawning new tornadoes once he gets there, which means you have to start kiting again.
Melee is the the receiving end of significantly more damage than ranged always. I say disable these RG until the issue is fixed because this is too extreme for a punishment for choosing to go melee.
05/20/2015 06:03 PMPosted by Nevalistis
To clarify, the tornadoes aren't attempting to stay close to their summoner; they're just changing directions too quickly. As a result, they won't travel very far from their spawn point.
So... you're saying that they don't stay close to the summoner, but do stay near their spawn point (the summoner).

*gathers best Oliver Twist voice*
May I have some more double-talk, please?

It doesn't really matter if the tornadoes are doing it intentionally (like they have thoughts) or not; the end-result behavior is the same. The tornadoes stay near their summoner, forcing melee builds to experience a much more difficult fight.

Fix it asap.
Cold Snap is no more fun for ranged right now either. As of 2.2.1 he (and any other RG that uses a charge) does so incessantly. You can't kite him. He just charges you, including ignoring Kormak if you have him out as a tank normally. It feels like the cooldown on the charge for RGs that have that ability is gone.
05/20/2015 06:32 PMPosted by TheTias
Cold Snap is no more fun for ranged right now either. As of 2.2.1 he (and any other RG that uses a charge) does so incessantly. You can't kite him. He just charges you, including ignoring Kormak if you have him out as a tank normally. It feels like the cooldown on the charge for RGs that have that ability is gone.
This is good to know, Saxtris and Sandshaper were a real pain and I wasn't really sure on whether or not it was a bug so I posted it on the "patch 2.2.1 is live" >_<
I have a feeling this same coding issue is what is causing Carnevil Fetishes to stop shooting their darts and forcing them into mele mode. WD's are basically shut down till this is fixed. Plenty of posts in WD forums asking for blue response..Might want to point them in this direction if they are indeed connected.
05/20/2015 06:32 PMPosted by TheTias

What is the difference between ranged and melee in that sense. As melee you have to deal with his swings, and don't get dodging opportunities, and if you have to kite away for any reason, boom charge, no dodge chance either.
Any issue that any ranged class says they have to deal with melee returns with we do too plus this also.....