Bane of the Trapped?

General Discussion
I appreciate the responses from people on another thread about the best legendary gem. The favorite appears to be Bane of the Trapped, but I can't figure out why.

I amusing the Gem of Efficacious Toxin, which give poison weapon damage and has a bonus of 10% damage of all types.

Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard gives me heavy life replenishment plus a healing shield.

Wreath of Lightning fires bolts at nearby enemies and has a bonus of 25% movement speed.

Bane of the Trapped only works on monsters affected by another spell, although the bonus (slowing nearby monsters) is pretty good. But why would you consider Bane of the Trapped to be the best?
Bane of the trapped is the best to me because i doesnt't require stack to maintain. In most builds you end up slowing monsters down on way or another so the gem is always working. For a melee char its priceless after lvl 25.
After that my favourite gem is esoteric alteration.
it's versatile, easy enough to put some sort of CC on monsters, and it's an easy 20-30% damage increase. though, you didnt mention iceblink
The secondary property procs the primary property, so all enemies within 15 yards take the extra damage.

The damage bonus is on a separate multiplier, while many of the others (like Efficacious Toxin) is on a common multiplier, so they're often worth less than their face value.

For many classes Bane of the Trapped is a great legendary gem, giving a massive damage boost. If you are a ranged class without any ability that slows/chills etc mobs, then it might not be as good.
The bonus damage from Efficacious Toxin is spread out over too long a period for most cases anymore, the 10% is pretty decent though.

Sadly, MWG is useless if you go high enough in Grifts where everything that touches you murders you so horribly that your future grandchildren have to sit in the womb an extra 5 seconds every time you're touched.

Wreath of Lightning just doesn't give enough bang for it's buck with how overwhelming our AoE has become. If it had a damage buff, it'd claw it's way back up in popularity fairly quickly I expect.
05/31/2015 12:57 PMPosted by Wolfpax
Sadly, MWG is useless if you go high enough in Grifts where everything that touches you murders you so horribly that your future grandchildren have to sit in the womb an extra 5 seconds every time you're touched.

ROFL!
i have my current legendary gems up to level 27. I am working on Bane of the Trapped to reach level 25. Which of my three gems do you feel that I should give up for Bane of the Trapped?
It is by far the best universal dps gem. It scales great. It procs very easily so the bonus is almost always active. It isn't necessarily "the" best gem for every spec, but it is almost always in the top 3.
BotT is an outstanding gem for melee.

A slow and damage increase all in one.

Nothing special needed once you get it past level 25.
05/31/2015 12:57 PMPosted by Wolfpax
The bonus damage from Efficacious Toxin is spread out over too long a period for most cases anymore, the 10% is pretty decent though.

Wreath of Lightning just doesn't give enough bang for it's buck with how overwhelming our AoE has become. If it had a damage buff, it'd claw it's way back up in popularity fairly quickly I expect.

I wouldn't say MWG is useless at high level Grifts. I use it in high 40s to low 50s Grifts and it's saved my butt plenty of times. The HP regen can really help you out if you nearly die and the regen based shield really helps against getting one shotted by a lot of things.
When coupled with Iceblink, BotT's bonus damage is triggered by any cold based damage. If you're running a cold build that normally doesn't slow, but is just cold based damage, IB + BotT is a near permanent damage boost. Add in any passives like Cull the Weak that boost damage against impaired monsters, which Iceblink does, and you get even more bang for your gem buck.

BotT requires a specific setup, but it's a fire and forget it gem as opposed to the constant stack maintenance and distance watching of other gems. It may be a "boring" bonus, but that boring bonus lets you keep your focus on the other aspects of the gameplay instead of fighting against a natural style of playing like Gogok of Swiftness and Taeguk do.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
As someone already mentioned it procs itself. The slowing affect inside 15 yards triggers the gem. That all said it depends on what build and play style you are. If you have no affects on monsters from skills then outside the 15 yards is not really getting the benefit of that.

I use it sometimes on my barb when using the hurricane run to pull monsters in. My dust devils shooting out the edge of screen are not really getting this bonus damage. The bane of power is most likely the better choice for him.

I'm not sure if other gem procs make this one work. If using the ice blink where cold skills chill and slow and apply 10% more crit chance to chilled monsters might also play nice with bane of the trapped. But I do know items don't apply to gem affects like the stun ring on lightening with wreath of lightening. It might not also work with gem procs either. This might only be something that applies to you actual skill (blizzard, haunts, cold rend, cold sentry, etc).

Wreath of lightening I use for my barb for bounty / cache runs and with the bracers that increase movement speed on breaking objects. The wreath gem procs a lot and lightening then breaks objects giving me a very nice boost of speed. Bul-kathos set on top of that for some good warp speed across maps and a very nice build to skip mobs and focus on the goal.

I use the Gizzard and Esoteric on my fear witch doc. I have also used it on my barb. Surprisingly the adsorb shield it up a lot considering I'm spinning around inside of monster packs. For WD it is good to a certain point (high rift -- again someone mentioned). The life regen and damage reduction work fairly well and has helped to make it several levels up in grifts. I currently haven't switched to blackthorn and cameo for immunity but it does help for jailers etc.... most of the time. Why I say most of the time is now I have the defense gems on the elites pull a 2x and 3x cast jailer in a row to kill you anyway. Very cheap but that's Diablo (the game is the devil LOL).
05/31/2015 06:52 PMPosted by TheTias
When coupled with Iceblink, BotT's bonus damage is triggered by any cold based damage. If you're running a cold build that normally doesn't slow, but is just cold based damage, IB + BotT is a near permanent damage boost.

Good to know.. I was definitely wondering that. Haven't gotten around to test it myself. :)
05/31/2015 12:53 PMPosted by Freudian
For many classes Bane of the Trapped is a great legendary gem, giving a massive damage boost. If you are a ranged class without any ability that slows/chills etc mobs, then it might not be as good.

It's good enough to seriously consider putting something in your toolbar to proc it if you are running ranged.

05/31/2015 06:52 PMPosted by TheTias
It may be a "boring" bonus, but that boring bonus lets you keep your focus on the other aspects of the gameplay instead of fighting against a natural style of playing like Gogok of Swiftness and Taeguk do.

++ if you run a bad connection, overseas servers etc, this is gold.
I have heard as well, that BotT is multiplicative, while GeT is only additive.

Someone correct me if wrong.
05/31/2015 08:08 PMPosted by DOA
I have heard as well, that BotT is multiplicative, while GeT is only additive.

Someone correct me if wrong.

I believe it is multiplicative not only for your dmg but your groups dmg as well.