Killing elites and champions at GR 52+

Barbarian
I've found that, with rend, and 3x offensive passives (BR, Rampage, Ruthless) that attempting to kill champion packs and elites at higher g-rifts become highly troublesome for its worth.

Especially with deadly affixes that stop you from whirl winding.

The solution I found that best tackles this problem without really losing a major offensive passive or dps (you can keep those 3x passives) is to replace rend with threatening shout.

That -20% damage reduction is enough reduction to keep you alive and kill elites and champions even at G-Rift 55, and you still do enough damage to kill them without making it a sunk cost.

At higher levels, rend doesn't do much, and what's the point if I'm constantly running from elites? So I used threatening shout + offensive passives, and that seemed to fix the issue with champs and elites.

Your margin for error is huge and allows much more livability; and the elite/champion affixes don't do NEARLY as much damage as they do. It is highly noticeable. I completely stopped dying at these higher rift levels.
My problem with Threatening Shout vs. Rend is that Rend can be my left click skill and TS can't.
06/01/2015 08:45 AMPosted by Damian
Outside of blues packed with whit3s around killing them is a waste of time. Some blue mob types are just simply harder to kill because they don't like being grouped up

Did you get that plvl yesterday? If not, hit me up tonight. Sorry, I got distracted.

06/01/2015 07:54 AMPosted by Surmight
I've found that, with rend, and 3x offensive passives (BR, Rampage, Ruthless) that attempting to kill champion packs and elites at higher g-rifts become highly troublesome for its worth.

Bah. OPKS is better than TS for an ik/wotw build if you don't want to use rend. But, you really should use Rend as that is the fastest/easiest way to get really good snapshots.
It depends. Some rares/champions are worth dragging along and whittling down. Some are best left since it's a waste of time.

Fleeing mobs, ranged mobs and mobs that don't give much progress (Fallen, Accursed, Lacuni Huntress, Sand Wasp who give 0.05% progress each) are usually a waste of time trying to kill. But if you get a group of Unburied , Charger, Colossal Golgor or other big mobs (0.95-1,25% progress per mob) with decent affixes it's usually worth staying and killing them. They die rather quickly and the progress is worth it.
There are pros/cons to both OP:KS and TS. 35% melee reduction vs. 20% everything reduction. In the right rift and guardian combination OP:KS would be the clear winner and thus higher fishing potential, while TS probably will give more consistent clears due to the flat damage reduction across the board. And the drag from demoralize rune is nice utility when used appropriately.
NS BK builds pushing progression really shouldn't be running rend imo. Rend means you need weaponsmaster or reaper and swords to plough. An offensive passive in place of weaponmaster is similiar or more dps and you get an extra skill slot. Same idea with bloodshed over swords to plough.