The Awesome No Set Challenge

Hardcore
1 2 3 9 Next
This is basically a continuation of Graiseperiod#1898 post http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/17347645101

The Challenge
In Season 3 (past accomplishments do not count) what is the highest Greater Rift you can beat without using any sets of any kind?

You have until the end of Season 3 to push for the limit see how far you can go.

Rules:
1. The toon gear can never have any set pieces of any kind (no Focus/Restraint, no Class sets, no Krelms, etc...)
2. Your "no set" toon must level up his/her own legendary gems (no borrowing from a better geared brother). The rest of the gear can be gotten anyway you please.
2. Solo adventuring only.
3. Post your successes and deaths here.

I'm doing barb and so far I'm on my second barb.
Garlic #1 did very poorly using a Frenzy build. I beat GR 22 and then later bought the farm on a T6 rift.
Garlic #2 is doing better. Beat GR24 and can run T6 slowly. In the process of leveling up a BoT gem before trying for more.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/EmmetOtter-1358/hero/62861031

Brings back found memories of when T6 was a Terrifying Torment. Garlic #2 hit a double pack at a map entrance and scrambled like hell. It was awesome!
Ah... I will take the challenge and will keep you posted. So solo play only. Have to find and level own legendary gems huh. Challenge Accepted!
Finally an excuse to use COE and SOJ together! Haha!
I will be doing WD. Could be fun to run a pet doc with no sets. I imagine MOJ, T&T SOJ and COE for damage boosts. No Zuni bonus but that's ok we used to not have it anyway. The hardest thing will be losing the toughness from Zuni bonus and FA lasts until they die. However 15 psycos will still bring the love and I would bet I can get to G rift 30 or so.
Didn't I do the all whites challenge with you back before ROS?
Sounds like fun! Will roll a barb for sure :D
Ah, a nice old school challenge, I'm in. My WD is "Setless" (not updated yet). I'll post again once I start getting some GRs.
My barb is up and running :D Still rockin phys WW combined with a bunch of CDR and obsidian with CoE or unity. Time to GR!

Edit
played a few GR at lunch with him and hit 23 in 4:21

Hexing pants and gem lvls are going to be needed :)
06/05/2015 08:50 AMPosted by CyLaNt
My barb is up and running :D Still rockin phys WW combined with a bunch of CDR and obsidian with CoE or unity. Time to GR!

Edit
played a few GR at lunch with him and hit 23 in 4:21

Hexing pants and gem lvls are going to be needed :)

Hmmm.... I have an ancient heart slaughter and hexing pants. This is sounding like a pretty good idea...

Edit: I might also try to dual wield. I think I have a shard of hate... But I'm stuck at God damn work...
06/04/2015 07:15 PMPosted by Jiraiya311
Didn't I do the all whites challenge with you back before ROS?

No. I never did the all blue or all white, or even more insane, all gray challenges. I always thought you dudes were fricken crazy but now... Hmmm
Up to 26 in 5:59. Dmg is noticeable but I can probably push 28 without gem upgrades. My taeguk was like 10 or so and powerful was at lvl 1 :) Definitely possible to get low to mid 30s without a set for WW barb.
I may have to finish leveling another wiz and give this a try.

06/04/2015 06:14 PMPosted by EmmetOtter
2. Solo adventuring only.

Does this mean no followers either, or just apply to additional players?

Ora
Playing around in the low to mid 20s with a Cold build, for now. It has decent damage and good cc on all targets: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/OraMajere-1817/hero/62349883

If I breach 30s then I may have to shift to Arcane and Meteors, depending how Cold holds up..

Ora
Love the idea Emmet! I'm so tired of looking for an ancient IMKbb that this seems like a great way to pass some of the remaining time of s3 away. I started a fire/ww barb tonight and just finished a 20 in about 3 min. Lots of potential here as others have said. I'm pretty sure 30 will be able to be done once my gems are leveled. Thanks again for the idea
I switched a bunch of things around and ended up doing a Fire/WW build as well. I have the Dread Iron belt that turns Ground Stomp into Avalanche with the Obsid Ring of Zodiac I'm stomping everything.

Up to GR 26 so far. Trying to level up a Taeguk and Gogok to 25 and after that I'm going to try pushing into the 30's.
06/05/2015 02:34 PMPosted by OraMajere
Does this mean no followers either, or just apply to additional players?

No additional players.
Greater Rift 31 cleared with my WD. Going to push for 33-34 but need to upgrade gems first.

Not to shabby damage with COE and Humonculous buffs. I pretty much get at 60-80% damage boost from provoke the pack makes up for some of the damage missing from zunis
Cleared 29 in 6:28. I was able to get PE and Taeguk to 25 and trapped is at 24. I may have to switch to unity for above 30 though. Even with ignore pain active he takes a lot of damage. I have red screened a bunch of times and procd a few :D

This is definitely a fun way to play. It brings back the sense of vulnerability.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CyLaNt-1337/hero/62977191

my barb used in the no set challenge :D
Cool! I'll try something on wizard. Static Discharge for sure. Storm Crow, Thundergod's Vigor, Odyn Son.... I should log on and check to see what I have in my stash. Pretty sure I've been salvaging all my Storm Crows. Guess I should start gambling hats.

This is gonna be fun.
Finished a 25 today in 6:28. Incoming damage is starting to become noticeable. I'll have to get my gems to 25 before I even think of pushing past 30.